Best way to store Dates in SQLite?

Hi
I ask for generic advice on what field format is best to use to store dates in a database (SQLite).

if is a better choice to stored separately year, month and day into 3 separate fields or use one field for a complete date-time group?

I have to store information of this kind:
a person is assigned to a job for a certain day (one day only)
or also
a person is assigned to a job from a day to another day (a range of days)
then i have to query the database for a certain day so to know who is working to a certain job in a specific day.

Well, in the case of ranges of days (for example Mr. Bean works to JOB1 from May/15 to May/20) I have to store one record for each day of the range (6 record in this case) or use only one record with both dates in 2 fields of the same record?

the SQL query should 'ask' who is working on a specific day (even for days in the middle of the ranges).

My doubt is, what's the best way to store ranges of dates (as in the above example), so to be facilitated in the retrieval of those informations.

I'm afraid I'm not been clear, even if I did my best to be, anyway .... any suggestion is welcome..

Thank You

Edited by Chimp

small minds discuss people average minds discuss events great minds discuss ideas.... and use AutoIt....

I'd use something simple but efficient enough for the purpose: ISO strings (YYYY-MM-DD ad time if necessary). Then create two columns DateFrom and DateTo. Then your query will be using a fast where clause:

select id, name, firstname from schedule where date('now') between datefrom and dateto;

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

Thank you @jchd!

exactly the answer I was looking for, concise and precise! :)

please, allow me one more question if I can,

What if I use a 'complete' date field as YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS (date and time) but then I don't fill the time part?

That is, can I create the Date field (the column) with also the time part (just for possible future use) , but leave it empty? or I have to fill anyway, maybe with a 'fixed' time-stamp , say 12:00:00 for example? and if so, then the complete date-time must also be used in the SQL query or the time part can be optional ?

Thanks again

Edited by Chimp

small minds discuss people average minds discuss events great minds discuss ideas.... and use AutoIt....

You can freely use full timestamps:

select date('now')    returns '2016-06-05'
select datetime('now')    returns '2016-06-05 19:00:09' (this is UTC time)

select '2016-06-19' between date('now') and '2017-12-31 23:59:59' as "workday"  returns 1 (true) in workday
select '2016-06-19 15:27:33' between date('now') and '2017-12-31' as "workday"  returns 1 (true) in workday

The magic with ISO dates is that they compare in all use cases, are human-friendly and are portable accross DBMSs, OSes, languages, countries.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

Thanks @jchd, I was not aware that you could select like that.  Will be simplifying my code. :)

@Chimp, you probably are aware, but SQLite supports this:

insert into test values (CURRENT_TIMESTAMP);

From here https://www.sqlite.org/lang_createtable.html

If the default value of a column is CURRENT_TIME, CURRENT_DATE or CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, then the value used in the new row is a text representation of the current UTC date and/or time. For CURRENT_TIME, the format of the value is "HH:MM:SS". For CURRENT_DATE, "YYYY-MM-DD". The format for CURRENT_TIMESTAMP is "YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS".

Skysnake

Why is the snake in the sky?

Additional note: you can define a more subtle default timestamp using date(), time(), datetime(), julianday() or strftime() with any modifier combination suits your needs.

CREATE TABLE "A" (
  "Id" INTEGER NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY, 
  "Item1" CHAR DEFAULT (datetime('now', 'localtime', '+5 minutes', '+12.3456 seconds')));

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By mLipok
      I want to present BETA Version of my ADO.au3 UDF.
      This is modifed version of _sql.au3 UDF.

For that I want to thanks : ; Chris Lambert, eltorro, Elias Assad Neto, CarlH

This is first public release , and still is as BETA

DOWNLOAD LINK (in download section): 

Have fun,
      mLipok

EDIT: 2016-06-03
      Below some interesting topics about databases:

EDIT 2016/07/04:
      For more info about ADO look here:
      https://www.autoitscript.com/wiki/ADO
      FOR EXAMPLE DATABASE use AdventureWorksDW2016_EXT.bak from:
      https://github.com/microsoft/sql-server-samples/releases/download/adventureworks/AdventureWorksDW2016_EXT.bak
      I will relay on this database in my examples.

Here is link to post which shows how "ODBC Data Source Administrator" looks like.

• By t0nZ
      Code to read a Spiceworks Database and export text data files in INI format.
      Focused on exporting data about PC inventory and useful to migrate to another inventory system.
      Tested with a SQLite DB from Spiceworks latest (and LAST on premise) version - (7.5.00107.30 ott 2019)
      It creates one  text file for every single machine.

;Spiceworks Db Exporter ; ;- NSC - t0nZ 2021 ;code to read a Spiceworks Database and export text data files in INI format. ;focused on exporting data about PC inventory. ;useful to migrate to another inventory system. ;tested with a SQLite DB from Spiceworks latest (and LAST on premise) version - (7.5.00107.30 ott 2019) ;It creates one text files for every single machine. ; --> please adapt paths to your environment. #include <SQLite.au3> #include <String.au3> #include <File.au3> dataINIfromDBspiceworks() #Region spiceworks immport Func dataINIfromDBspiceworks() ConsoleWrite("start import from db Spiceworks" & @CRLF) Local $dbspicepath = "C:\scambio" Local $dbspice = "spiceworks_prod.db" ; =====================>>>>> START SQL DLL _SQLite_Startup() ;======================<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< _SQLite_Open($dbspicepath & '\' & $dbspice) ;- Local $aCPdata Local $hQuery Local $recordcount = 0 Local $salvarec = 0 ;------------------------------------------------ Local $spiceQuery = "SELECT serial_number," & _ "server_name," & _ "manufacturer," & _ "(model || '-' || raw_model)," & _ "processor_type," & _ "raw_processor_type," & _ "processor_architecture," & _ "raw_processor_type," & _ "number_of_processors," & _ "'speed'," & _ "CAST (memory AS FLOAT) / 1073741824," & _ "current_user," & _ "domain," & _ "network_adapters.dns_domain," & _ "'logon'," & _ "operating_system," & _ "os_architecture," & _ "version," & _ "'lang'," & _ "('C:;Fixed;' || (CAST (disks.size AS FLOAT) / 1048576) || ';' || (CAST (disks.free_space AS FLOAT) / 1048576) )," & _ "devices.ip_address," & _ "'(0.0.0.0)'," & _ "'(0.0.0.0)'," & _ "'(0.0.0.0)'," & _ "'(0.0.0.0)'," & _ "network_adapters.gateway," & _ "(network_adapters.description ||' - '|| network_adapters.name)," & _ "devices.mac_address," & _ "devices.updated_on," & _ "user_tag " & _ "FROM devices " & _ "inner JOIN " & _ "network_adapters ON network_adapters.computer_id = devices.id " & _ "inner JOIN " & _ "disks ON disks.computer_id = devices.id " & _ "WHERE disks.name = 'C:' " & _ "ORDER BY devices.updated_on DESC;" _SQLite_Query(-1, $spiceQuery, $hQuery) While _SQLite_FetchData($hQuery, $aCPdata) = $SQLITE_OK writeINI($aCPdata) $recordcount += 1 If $recordcount = $salvarec + 10 Then $salvarec = $recordcount ConsoleWrite($recordcount & " processed records " & @CRLF) EndIf WEnd ;________________________________________________ _SQLite_Close() _SQLite_Shutdown() EndFunc ;==>dataINIfromDBspiceworks Func writeINI($aCPdata) Local $folderdataINI = "c:\scambio\ini" If Not FileExists($folderdataINI) Then DirCreate($folderdataINI) $aCPdata[28] = StringRegExpReplace($aCPdata[28], "[\D]", "") ; this "2021-04-17 02:34:16" to that "20210417023416 Local $cpini = $folderdataINI & "\" & "cp_" & $aCPdata[28] & "_" & $aCPdata[0] & "_.ini" If FileExists($folderdataINI & "\" & "cp_" & $aCPdata[28] & "_" & $aCPdata[0] & "_.ini") Then FileDelete($folderdataINI & "\" & "cp_" & $aCPdata[28] & "_" & $aCPdata[0] & "_.ini") ; deleted previous files ! ConsoleWrite("deleted: " & "cp_" & $aCPdata[28] & "_" & $aCPdata[0] & "_.ini" & @CRLF) EndIf ;Section Unique :serial, computer name Local $aSectionUnique[2][2] = [["serial", $aCPdata[0]], ["computername", $aCPdata[1]]] IniWriteSection($cpini, "UNIQUE", $aSectionUnique, 0) ;Section Machine :manufacturer,model,cpuname,cpuid,cpuarc,cpuvendor,cpucores,cpuspeed,RAM,disk1capacity,disk1used Local $aSectionMachine[9][2] = [["manufacturer", $aCPdata[2]], ["model", $aCPdata[3]], ["cpuname", $aCPdata[4]], ["cpuid", $aCPdata[5]], ["cpuarc", $aCPdata[6]], ["cpuvendor", $aCPdata[7]], ["cpucores", $aCPdata[8]], ["cpuspeed", $aCPdata[9]], ["ram", $aCPdata[10]]] IniWriteSection($cpini, "MACHINE", $aSectionMachine, 0) ;Section User : username,domain,DNSdomain,logonServer Local $aSectionUser[4][2] = [["username", $aCPdata[11]], ["domain", $aCPdata[12]], ["DNSdomain", $aCPdata[13]], ["logonServer", $aCPdata[14]]] IniWriteSection($cpini, "USER", $aSectionUser, 0) ;Section OS : OSver, OSarch, OSbuild, OSlang Local $aSectionOS[4][2] = [["OSver", $aCPdata[15]], ["OSarch", $aCPdata[16]], ["OSbuild", $aCPdata[17]], ["OSlang", $aCPdata[18]]] IniWriteSection($cpini, "OS", $aSectionOS, 0) ;Section Disks: username,domain,DNSdomain,logonServer Local $aSectionDrives[1][2] = [["drives", $aCPdata[19]]] IniWriteSection($cpini, "DRIVES", $aSectionDrives, 0) ;Section network:localIP1,localIP2,localIP3,localIP4,publicIP,GW,adapter,mac Local $aSectionNetwork[8][2] = [["localIP1", $aCPdata[20]], ["localIP2", $aCPdata[21]], ["localIP3", $aCPdata[22]], ["localIP4", $aCPdata[23]], ["publicIP", $aCPdata[24]], ["GW", $aCPdata[25]], ["adapter", $aCPdata[26]], ["mac", $aCPdata[27]]] IniWriteSection($cpini, "NETWORK", $aSectionNetwork, 0) ;Section PLUS :date, groupid Local $aSectionPlus[2][2] = [["date", $aCPdata[28]], ["groupid", $aCPdata[29]]] IniWriteSection($cpini, "PLUS", $aSectionPlus, 0) EndFunc ;==>writeINI #EndRegion spiceworks import  
      Spiceworks on premise, now pretty abadonware, has a non crypted SQLite DB usually located in:
      c:\Program Files (x86)\Spiceworks\db\spiceworks_prod.db The query was the difficult part (at least for me), and I export in INI format because it was part of my effort to migrate from Spiceworks to a custom made system (Computer Plucker see this post) where I already parse .INI files in a custom MySQL and/or SQLite DB.

• By benners
      I am trying to normalise a database to remove duplicate info. I am using SQLite Expert to design the database and test sql queries.
      The database is going to store information about setup installers, such as paths, installer specific info, users to install for, type and category of installer blah, blah.
      I have attached the database thus far and the tables function are as follows:-
      category - stores text describing the general usage the installer comes under, such as Browser, Compression etc. installer - this is the main table that has relationships with the other tables and stores info about the installer file, install order etc. installer_user - a link table. Stores the user or computer to install the program for or on. package - stores the type of installer, NSIS, Inno  Nullsoft etc. platform - the OS architecture the installer file is compiled for. postinstall - a list of activities to perform when the main install has finished. postinstall_user - a link table. Stores the users\computers that are allowed to run the post install actions user - a list of computers or usernames. I might separate into two tables, undecided yet. Now there wil be one program that deals with the installation side and another that acts as a front end for editing the database suchs as adding new files, removing old files etc.
      The idea with the editing side is to be able to delete an installer from the installer table say with the id of 1 and all other pertinent information in the other tables will also be deleted. The same goes for deleting a user. All the fields relating to that user will be removed.
      I have managed to get that part working for the most part. If I delete either a user or installer, the related info in the installer_user and postinstall tables are removed but since I added the postinstall_user table to link usernames to the postinstall action, this is where I get the foreign key error. If someone can explain why, I am sure it is an obvious reason for someone who knows what they are doing 😄
      Cheers
      Installer - Copy.db
    • By shino54
      Hello,
      I would like a query to know if an entry exists
      Thank you in advance.
      $sQuery = "SELECT Alger FROM garage where auto='BL1879'" $result1 = $result.Fields("Alger").Value if $result1="" Then MsgBox(0, "ERROR", "BAD not exist") Else MsgBox(0, "Success!", "OK exist") EndIf Exit  
    • By Nas
      Hi everyone,
      I am trying to make a script that runs a query and show it to me to see if everything is right and then decide if I finish it or not so I made a little script as below :
      #include <ADO.au3> #include <Array.au3> #include <MsgBoxConstants.au3> #include <AutoItConstants.au3> _ADO_EVENTS_SetUp(True) _ADO_ComErrorHandler_UserFunction(_ADO_COMErrorHandler) Local $sDriver = 'SQL Server' Local $sDatabase = 'DataBase' ; change this string to YourDatabaseName Local $sServer = 'Localhost' ; change this string to YourServerLocation Local $sConnectionString = 'DRIVER={' & $sDriver & '};SERVER=' & $sServer & ';DATABASE=' & $sDatabase & ';UID=' & ';PWD=' & ';' ;~ Global $Query = _ ;~ "BEGIN TRAN" & @CRLF & _ ;~ "UPDATE Table" & @CRLF & _ ;~ "SET HOUR = 4" & @CRLF & _ ;~ "WHERE CUST = 'TEST'" & @CRLF & _ ;~ "SELECT * FROM Table" & @CRLF & _ ;~ "WHERE CUST = 'TEST'" & @CRLF & _ ;~ "ROLLBACK TRAN" Global $Query = _ "BEGIN TRAN" & @CRLF & _ "SELECT * FROM Table" & @CRLF & _ "WHERE CUST = 'TEST'" & @CRLF & _ "ROLLBACK TRAN" _Query_Display($sConnectionString, $Query) Func _Query_Display($sConnectionString, $sQUERY) ; Create connection object Local $oConnection = _ADO_Connection_Create() ; Open connection with $sConnectionString _ADO_Connection_OpenConString($oConnection, $sConnectionString) If @error Then Return SetError(@error, @extended, $ADO_RET_FAILURE) ; Executing some query directly to Array of Arrays (instead to $oRecordset) Local $aRecordset = _ADO_Execute($oConnection, $sQUERY, True) ; Clean Up _ADO_Connection_Close($oConnection) $oConnection = Null ; Display Array Content with column names as headers _ADO_Recordset_Display($aRecordset, 'Query Result') EndFunc ;==> _Query_Display When I ran this script it works great, but when I run the query below :
      Global $Query = _ "BEGIN TRAN" & @CRLF & _ "UPDATE Table" & @CRLF & _ "SET HOUR = 4" & @CRLF & _ "WHERE CUST = 'TEST'" & @CRLF & _ "SELECT * FROM Table" & @CRLF & _ "WHERE CUST = 'TEST'" & @CRLF & _ "ROLLBACK TRAN" It doesn't show anything, when I take those begin and rollback it does what it should but still not showing me anything at all, is there a way around it that you know of?
      Thank you.