Send a command to USB device (Scanner) to keep it awake

@wisem2540case to mention the scanner model?

Signature - my forum contributions:

Spoiler

UDF:

LFN - support for long file names (over 260 characters)

InputImpose - impose valid characters in an input control

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

AMF - accept multiple files from Windows Explorer context menu

DateDuration -  literal description of the difference between given dates

Apps:

Touch - set the "modified" timestamp of a file to current time

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

SPDiff - Single-Pane Text Diff

@wisem2540,

the manual (page 202) says you can set the waiting time for "power saving mode" as high as 235 minutes (nearly 4 hours). surely that should be sufficient?

also, you can also completely disable "power off" (different feature, same page). that depends on what exactly is bothering you.

P.S. the reason i'm exploring the formal approach is that any non-formal approach would involve some sort of a hack to the device manager or driver - best avoided.

Signature - my forum contributions:

Spoiler

UDF:

LFN - support for long file names (over 260 characters)

InputImpose - impose valid characters in an input control

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

AMF - accept multiple files from Windows Explorer context menu

DateDuration -  literal description of the difference between given dates

Apps:

Touch - set the "modified" timestamp of a file to current time

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

SPDiff - Single-Pane Text Diff

@orbs

I totally understand.  This is for a medical facility which uses an application that does not tolerate a sleeping scanner.  We have already exhausted the formal approach and consulted with the vendor.

Do you think using a "Select Source" command would be enough to get this done?  What do you suggest?  I am about to set this up in a lab to start playing around.

Interesting piece of info...  According to the vendor, and we tested this as well, the scanner is able to sense when paper is inserted into the feeder.  The auto-feeder does wake up the device.  Perhaps its possible to trick that sensor into thinking paper is always there?

I'm reminded of a(n) (allegedly) good old opsec story where a new computer system was installed at a Doctors office that would time-out, as designed, but undesirably by the users.  Their solution?  Insert and pen cap into the keyboard so it contiunually presses a key (ctrl for example) and keeps he computer alive.

If you leave paper in there does it prevent it from going to sleep? Me thinks a piece of tape is in your future, or just leave a piece of paper in it when you're done.

I must caution....the lamp turns off for a good reason.  Leaving it on all the time will substantially reduce the lifetime of the scanner.  Be prepared to replace the scanner hardware more frequently and have a backup.

Edited by spudw2k

My first poke around the net found this: http://www.burrotech.com/quickscan/

I have no idea if it will work, but it has a cmd interface, so it will be easy to work with autoit to set some kind of script to use this program.  The question is does the program itself work or do what you need it to do.

Luckily free so no significant risk giving it a try.

This is why I do not like USB printers/scanners I prefer network.  So much easier from a driver/useage/deployment standpoint. 

The other things I would try are to use tool around with what ever native programs the scanner has and see if you can use those, and finally something like using devcon to disable and re-enable, scan, or status check the device in the device manager. 

Edited by ViciousXUSMC

1 hour ago, spudw2k said:

I'm reminded of a(n) (allegedly) good old opsec story where a new computer system was installed at a Doctors office that would time-out, as designed, but undesirably by the users.  Their solution?  Insert and pen cap into the keyboard so it contiunually presses a key (ctrl for example) and keeps he computer alive.

If you leave paper in there does it prevent it from going to sleep? Me thinks a piece of tape is in your future, or just leave a piece of paper in it when you're done.

I must caution....the lamp turns off for a good reason.  Leaving it on all the time will substantially reduce the lifetime of the scanner.  Be prepared to replace the scanner hardware more frequently and have a backup.

Unfortunately leaving paper in the machine does not accomplish what I am looking for.  I will check out quickscan, and there is another utility called CMDTwain.