Writing to the Beginning of a file.

I'm not sure if this is possible but I want to write a short piece of code to the beginning of a file as opposed to appending it to the end (same concept opposite end).

It's safe to assume that the target file can be any size so file size may have an impact on performance.

Any suggestions ?

Agreement is not necessary - thinking for one's self is!

My-Colors.jpg

cuniform2.gif

Write your code to file B, copy existing file A plus B to new file C, erase A and B, rename C to A.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Thanks water. Considering this may be done 100's or even thousands of times (on the same file), is there no more direct method to just 'inject' the code to the beginning?

If I'm working with a file that could potentially be in the 100's of MB's (even GB's) then this method would take a very, very long time.

My-Colors.jpg

cuniform2.gif

Can you please elaborate why you need to write lines at the top of such large files? Maybe there is a better solution than moving GB's of data :)
What do you mean by "code"?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

It's just an experiment I'm testing, but if I can get it streamlined to be as fast as possible then it may have some useful purposes down the road.

My-Colors.jpg

cuniform2.gif

@Fossil Rock,

theoretically it should be possible, although with considerable limitations. but you must be extremely proficient with file tables, streams and the rest of the gang. no-one, i dare say even most MS filesystem engineers, is not in that level. either go with the rewrite method, or rethink your goal entirely.

if it's of any consolation to you, even UNIX does not offer that feature.

Signature - my forum contributions:

Spoiler

UDF:

LFN - support for long file names (over 260 characters)

InputImpose - impose valid characters in an input control

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

AMF - accept multiple files from Windows Explorer context menu

DateDuration -  literal description of the difference between given dates

Apps:

Touch - set the "modified" timestamp of a file to current time

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

SPDiff - Single-Pane Text Diff

That works @AutoBert, thanks. My initial test produced a speed of 80-90 seconds for 10,000 iterations (roughly 160KB).

The speed issue is with having to write the file each time. For each iteration that time gets longer and longer.

The $FO_APPEND method in AutoIt can do 10,000,000 iterations in 60 seconds (roughly 152MB).

Now if there were just a $FO_PREPEND that would be awesome.

Edited by Fossil Rock

My-Colors.jpg

cuniform2.gif

_FileWriteLog does exactly the same - read the source, then write it back.

if insisting on the rewrite approach, then the best optimization would be to skip all unnecessary pre/post-checks. in that sense, the solution suggested in post #6 by @AutoBert is probably the fastest possible.

Spoiler

UDF:

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

Apps:

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

I don't know of a filesystem able to prepend data to a flat file.

If your use case is going to repeatedly prepend data to large files, then flat files aren't suitable. You'd be much, much happier with a database, like SQLite. We can assist you getting started with this.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

at this point this thread is no more than a Gedankenexperiment, as mentioned in post #5: "It's just an experiment I'm testing..."

if the OP wishes a more practical advice, he is probably aware of that other means and measures exist to serve whatever practical purpose he is after. if he chooses to share his purpose, he may get more concrete ideas.

Spoiler

UDF:

Apps:

Unfortunately _FileWriteLog first reads the file into memory. That can lead to storage problems when dealting with GB files :( 

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

I think the OP doesn't provide enough information to provide a working AND fast solution:

Considering this may be done 100's or even thousands of times (on the same file)  ...

I do not see a use case where this would be sensible.

'inject' the code to the beginning?

Why would anyone inject code into a GB file?

He tells us that injecting lines of code at the top of a file is the solution. He wants to implement it using AutoIt.
But he tells us nothing about the problem that he thinks can be solved by injecting lines of code at the top of a file :huh:

We need to know more about the problem before we can suggest a proper solution.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

What about using FileSetPos ?

#Include <FileConstants.au3>

Local $h = FileOpen("file.txt", 1)
_FileWriteAtTheTop($h, "second line" & @CRLF)
_FileWriteAtTheTop($h, "first line" & @CRLF)
FileClose($h)

Func _FileWriteAtTheTop($hFile, $sText)
    FileSetPos($hFile, 0, $FILE_BEGIN)
    Local $sNewText = $sText & FileRead($hFile)
    FileSetPos($hFile, 0, $FILE_BEGIN)
    FileWrite($hFile, $sNewText)
    FileFlush($hFile)
EndFunc

Has the same problem as orbs' solution. It reads the whole file into memory. Will take forever for a GB file :(

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Not only the actual use case would be good to know, but writing to a file is only one side. There is no point doing that if the data is never processed. How it should be further processed (read) is the key point: there must be a reason why the OP inists on prepending data (I read "code" as data).

A common case where you'd like to have newest entries at top is with log files, where it's unpractical to have to read giant Gb or even Tb files to just search within a few last entries, which make flat files unsuitable in practice. Again, a well-designed DB is a much better choice, even if writing entries incurs a little time penalty.

Let's see if/when the OP tells us more.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

I think the way to perform this is divide files in chunks and create a new file to append all.

For Example

File A.data 1gb

File B.data 1gb

Create my new file C.data Create+Write+Append

Get file a.data 

DIvide in chunks 1gb/10

Loop and read 100Mbs (To avoid full file in memory) and append to C.data

Do the same with B.data File.

Saludos

Edited by Danyfirex