Seeking "kinetic typography" capability in au3

qwert

Whiteboard videos—also known as kinetic typography—have been popular for years, and there are online services and costly software for creating them. ( video example )

I’ve often thought AutoIt3 would be a good basis for implementing a simple, table-driven, ”moving text” sequence. Plus, it would be easy to have a graphic as a backdrop, which is also popular.

But I haven’t been able to locate anyone’s attempt at this, although I did locate two 8-year-old scripts that provide some foundation elements for it:

But before I start trying to build something, I’d like to ask: does anyone happen to know of a better starting point that these two scripts?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Thanks for posting.  It looks very promising.  But in my attempt to run the basic example, I get syntax errors with the ()() elements like ($oObject.x)($iTime).

It's probably due to an oversight on my part, but I can't see it.

Syntax error.PNG

50 minutes ago, qwert said:

Thanks for posting.  It looks very promising.  But in my attempt to run the basic example, I get syntax errors with the ()() elements like ($oObject.x)($iTime).

It's probably due to an oversight on my part, but I can't see it.

Syntax error.PNG

What version of AutoIt you used to run the example?

I think it's the problem with Au3Check. I'll add #AutoIt3Wrapper_Run_AU3Check=n to all examples, when I'll post an update (in a few minutes)

Can someone clear this up for me?

I've downloaded the 0.0.4 version from the example library.  The examples DO run properly.  And I can compile any of them without errors.

But whenever I run SyntaxCheck, I get all the original errors.  I'm not at all familiar with the ()() syntax for objects.  I've never seen such a thing.  Can someone point out where documentation can be found?  And are the Au3 Wrapper features just a little behind the times?

Thanks for any help.

Syntax.PNG

4 hours ago, qwert said:

I'm not at all familiar with the ()() syntax for objects.  I've never seen such a thing.  Can someone point out where documentation can be found?  And are the Au3 Wrapper features just a little behind the times?

The ()() syntax can be used for COM objects. Some of them have a 'default' method, which can be called by writing ($oObject)(arguments...), where $oObject is your COM object. In AutoItObject , a library used by MoGraph UDF, you can declare a "__default__" method, which can be called using the ()() syntax. Actually, you can write:

($oObject1.object2)($a, $b, $c)

like this:

$oObject1.object2.__default__($a, $b, $c)

Thanks for the explanation.  I do follow what you're saying, yet I'm unsure of how to resolve the error detections.  Or should I just use the functions and leave it to a future version of SyntaxCheck to catch up with current technology?

Either way, thanks for the UDF.  I think I'll be able to build something useful with it.

Just ignore the syntax errors unless they're happening when you're running the script. Or, disable using Au3Check when you run the script.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator