NOOB Not sure where to ask, creating simpleish script

Hey all!

Not sure if I'm posting in the right spot, please forgive me.

Also, I don't really know what to search to find this on my own or I'd be doing that.  I'm totally new to this:

I am trying to automate a task that I need to do about 500-1000 times, so I'm desperate for help.  I am installing remote control software on POS machines running windows 7 and XP.

What I need to do is:

Unlock McAffee Solidcore: sadmin bu

Solidcore prompts for a password, that is the same everywhere and can be hardcoded.

Install Vigilix, which is a GUI and needs one checkbox clicked, then next next...

Run a couple of batch files that also prompt for the solidcore password

Re lock McAffee Solidcore: sadmin eu

enter the solidcore password again.

I hope that makes sense, and someone can point me to a tutorial somewhere to get started.  Thanks VERY MUCH in advance.

• Moderators

@GSPitman welcome to the forum. A couple of questions:

• Unlock McAffee Solidcore - Try the AutoIt Window Info tool (in the same directory where you installed AutoIt) and hover over the password prompt. What does it return?
  • Install Vigilix - Is this an EXE or MSI? Does it support a silent install? If so, you can use either ShellExecuteWait or RunWait to install this.
Edited by JLogan3o13

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

If Vigilix requires interaction during the install, AutoIt can still be used.  Run through the Vigilix installation and every time it requires user input, use the AutoIt Window Info tool to identify the expected window and do a WinWait for that window.  Then use a ControlClick to click the button which you have identified, again by using the Info tool.  First you do a WinWait, until the expected window displays, then you ControlClick the button.  Then you do another WinWait (if necessary) followed by another ControlClick until you get through the installation.

_aleph_

btw, you're still using XP?  I'm surprised that someone hasn't (by now) written an XP killer virus.  Mostly I'm surprised that MS hasn't done that itself!  And also btw, you're post is in the correct category.  Welcome to the forums!

Edited by aleph01

Meds.  They're not just for breakfast anymore. :'(

Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that Solidcore is completely command line driven.   It also does not have a switch to input the password.

Lastly, to make matters even better... I don't, nor will I have solidcore installed on my machine.

5 hours ago, GSPitman said:

These are point of sale machines

Oh, you meant point of sale... ;) 

You could use the commands that JLogan3o13 mentioned like Run, RunWait, ShellExecute and ShellExecuteWait to run commands with or without parameters. If you have a look at the help files you will find some useful examples. If you need to read the standard output stream from the command, take a look at the example for StdoutRead.

If that doesn't work, please:

1. explain the installation procedure for that Solidcore thing in as much detail as possible
  2. show what you have been able to come up with in the mean time

That information will help forum members suggest good approaches (or corrections to bad ones :)). Because now it's kinda down to guessing what you need...

Roses are FF0000, violets are 0000FF... All my base are belong to you.

4 hours ago, SadBunny said:

Oh, you meant point of sale... ;) 

You could use the commands that JLogan3o13 mentioned like Run, RunWait, ShellExecute and ShellExecuteWait to run commands with or without parameters. If you have a look at the help files you will find some useful examples. If you need to read the standard output stream from the command, take a look at the example for StdoutRead.

If that doesn't work, please:

1. explain the installation procedure for that Solidcore thing in as much detail as possible
  2. show what you have been able to come up with in the mean time

That information will help forum members suggest good approaches (or corrections to bad ones :)). Because now it's kinda down to guessing what you need...

I totally understand that I'm not providing the best info, thanks for the point in the right direction, now I can read more to figure out what I'm trying to do, and ask better questions!

Thanks everyone!