Regread always gives error

#requireadmin
if not RegRead("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\HideFileExt\type", "checkbox") Then
Local $longdate = " Long date set incorrectly ;( "
Else
    Local $longdate = " Long date set Correctly :) "
MsgBox(64,"Terminal User Setup", $longdate,0,0)
EndIf

MsgBox(64,"Terminal User Setup", @error,0,0)

This is most likely a simple issue but for the life of me i can not seem to figure out why this gives me an error of 1. I know that error 1 means that it cant open the key but it could before and the permissions on this key are set for admin access to read.

any help please.....thanks

• Developers

Are you running this with the 32 or 64 bits version of AutoIt3. ( think about the registry hive used by 32 bits)

Jos 

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

"C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\SciTE\..\AutoIt3.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\SciTE\AutoIt3Wrapper\AutoIt3Wrapper.au3" /run /prod /ErrorStdOut /in "C:\work\Hospitallity\Script files\Longdate.au3" /UserParams    
+>09:40:13 Starting AutoIt3Wrapper v.16.306.1237.0 SciTE v.3.6.2.0   Keyboard:00000409  OS:WIN_10/  CPU:X64 OS:X64  Environment(Language:0409)  CodePage:0  utf8.auto.check:4    # detect ascii high characters and if none found set default encoding to UTF8 and do not add BOM

well according to this it looks to be the 32bit executable.

• Developers

So the second bit in my post should be an indication what your issue is. ;)

Quote from the helpfile:

Remarks

A registry key must start with "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" ("HKLM") or "HKEY_USERS" ("HKU") or "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" ("HKCU") or "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT" ("HKCR") or "HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG" ("HKCC").

When running on 64-bit Windows if you want to read a value specific to the 64-bit environment you have to suffix the HK... with 64 i.e. HKLM64.

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

If I was trying a 64bit key I could understand but this key is 32bit, but just assuming that I was mistaken(happens more than i'd like to admit) I tried with the 32 bit version

if not RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\HideFileExt\type", "checkbox") Then
Else
EndIf

and I also tried the 64bit

if not RegRead("HKLM64\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\HideFileExt\type", "checkbox") Then
Else
EndIf

And Instead of just trying to run it, I compiled both and then tried executing both and still with error 1

• Developers

So the key you are trying to read is actually located in?:

"HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\HideFileExt\type"

Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Developers

Can you try this version:

$rc=RegRead("HKLM64\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\HideFileExt\type", "checkbox")
ConsoleWrite('@@ Debug(' & @ScriptLineNumber & ') : $rc = ' & $rc & @CRLF & '>Error code: ' & @error & @CRLF) ;### Debug Console
$rc=RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\HideFileExt\type", "checkbox")
ConsoleWrite('@@ Debug(' & @ScriptLineNumber & ') : $rc = ' & $rc & @CRLF & '>Error code: ' & @error & @CRLF) ;### Debug Console

Edited by Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

on just an F5 on scite i get this

>"C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\SciTE\..\AutoIt3.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\SciTE\AutoIt3Wrapper\AutoIt3Wrapper.au3" /run /prod /ErrorStdOut /in "C:\work\Hospitallity\Script files\Longdate.au3" /UserParams    
+>10:48:54 Starting AutoIt3Wrapper v.16.306.1237.0 SciTE v.3.6.2.0   Keyboard:00000409  OS:WIN_10/  CPU:X64 OS:X64  Environment(Language:0409)  CodePage:0  utf8.auto.check:4    # detect ascii high characters and if none found set default encoding to UTF8 and do not add BOM
+>         SciTEDir => C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\SciTE   UserDir => C:\Users\Aaron.Kennedy\AppData\Local\AutoIt v3\SciTE\AutoIt3Wrapper   SCITE_USERHOME => C:\Users\Aaron.Kennedy\AppData\Local\AutoIt v3\SciTE 
>Running AU3Check (3.3.14.2)  from:C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3  input:C:\work\Hospitallity\Script files\Longdate.au3
+>10:48:55 AU3Check ended.rc:0
>Running:(3.3.14.2):C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\autoit3_x64.exe "C:\work\Hospitallity\Script files\Longdate.au3"    
--> Press Ctrl+Alt+Break to Restart or Ctrl+Break to Stop
@@ Debug(53) : $rc = 
>Error code: 1
@@ Debug(55) : $rc = 
>Error code: 1
+>10:49:02 AutoIt3.exe ended.rc:0
+>10:49:02 AutoIt3Wrapper Finished.
>Exit code: 0    Time: 8.224

• Developers

You are seeing different results than I see. Do you need admin rights to read it that hive?
Try adding #requireAdmin at the top ( ConsoleWrite will not work)

#RequireAdmin
$rc=RegRead("HKLM64\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\HideFileExt\type", "checkbox")
MsgBox(262144, 'Debug line ~' & @ScriptLineNumber, 'Selection:' & @CRLF & '$rc' & @CRLF & @CRLF & 'Return:' & @CRLF & $rc) ;### Debug MSGBOX
$rc=RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\HideFileExt\type", "checkbox")
MsgBox(262144, 'Debug line ~' & @ScriptLineNumber, 'Selection:' & @CRLF & '$rc' & @CRLF & @CRLF & 'Return:' & @CRLF & $rc) ;### Debug MSGBOX

Edited by Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Developers

Makes sense ...  I am currently at a loss as it is working fine for me.

Err=1 should indicate that the key (param 1) doesn't exist.

Edited by Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Developers

Just for kicks ...  this should tell you at which level the key is wrong:

$Regkey="HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\HideFileExt\type"
$RegLev=StringSplit($regkey,"\")
$Regkey="HKLM"
For $x = 2 to $RegLev[0]
    $Regkey&= "\" & $RegLev[$x]
    $rc=RegRead($Regkey, "checkbox")
    ConsoleWrite('Key=' & $Regkey & ' : $rc = ' & $rc &  '   Error code: ' & @error & @CRLF)
Next

Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

this is very weird, it looks as though i have permission issues

>"C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\SciTE\..\AutoIt3.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\SciTE\AutoIt3Wrapper\AutoIt3Wrapper.au3" /run /prod /ErrorStdOut /in "C:\work\Hospitallity\Script files\Longdate.au3" /UserParams    
+>12:56:23 Starting AutoIt3Wrapper v.16.306.1237.0 SciTE v.3.6.2.0   Keyboard:00000409  OS:WIN_10/  CPU:X64 OS:X64  Environment(Language:0409)  CodePage:0  utf8.auto.check:4    # detect ascii high characters and if none found set default encoding to UTF8 and do not add BOM
+>         SciTEDir => C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\SciTE   UserDir => C:\Users\Aaron.Kennedy\AppData\Local\AutoIt v3\SciTE\AutoIt3Wrapper   SCITE_USERHOME => C:\Users\Aaron.Kennedy\AppData\Local\AutoIt v3\SciTE 
>Running AU3Check (3.3.14.2)  from:C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3  input:C:\work\Hospitallity\Script files\Longdate.au3
+>12:56:23 AU3Check ended.rc:0
>Running:(3.3.14.2):C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\autoit3_x64.exe "C:\work\Hospitallity\Script files\Longdate.au3"    
--> Press Ctrl+Alt+Break to Restart or Ctrl+Break to Stop
Key=HKLM\SOFTWARE : $rc =    Error code: -1
Key=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft : $rc =    Error code: -1
Key=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows : $rc =    Error code: -1
Key=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion : $rc =    Error code: -1
Key=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer : $rc =    Error code: -1
Key=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced : $rc =    Error code: -1
Key=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder : $rc =    Error code: -1
Key=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\HideFileExt : $rc =    Error code: -1
Key=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\HideFileExt\type : $rc =    Error code: 1
+>12:56:44 AutoIt3.exe ended.rc:0
+>12:56:44 AutoIt3Wrapper Finished.
>Exit code: 0    Time: 22.29

• Developers

So all is well til the last subkey "type" which doesn't exist or you aren't allowed to access.

Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

I am so so sorry lol, this was so simple I had a blonde moment, 

$Regkey="HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\HideFileExt\type"
$Regkey="HKLM"
For $x = 2 to $RegLev[0]
    $rc=RegRead($Regkey, "checkbox")
    ConsoleWrite('Key=' & $Regkey & ' : $rc = ' & $rc &  '   Error code: ' & @error & @CRLF)
Next

this is what it should have been, I am sorry for wasting your time so so sorry.

$Regkey="HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\HideFileExt"
$Regkey="HKLM"
For $x = 2 to $RegLev[0]
    $rc=RegRead($Regkey, "type")
Next

if not RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\HideFileExt", "type") Then
Else
EndIf

this works now

thanks

Edited by scwoobles