[SOLVED] How to solve this problem?

@dreivilo47,

this i not a "problem", and you do not "solve" it.

if you hate UAC on your own machine, then by all means suppress it as suggested (although that may cause other issues). but that is not the case, is it?

to perform an administrative task by a script, then before you begin, make sure your script runs with administrative rights in effect. how you do that depends on your system/network configuration. for examples, you can remotely create a scheduled task to run with the target local SYSTEM account; you can do it with PsExec; you can make use of a deployment tool installed in your network; you can write a background agent to do that; etc.

if you describe your environment, we can suggest the preferred method.

Signature - my forum contributions:

Spoiler

UDF:

LFN - support for long file names (over 260 characters)

InputImpose - impose valid characters in an input control

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

AMF - accept multiple files from Windows Explorer context menu

DateDuration -  literal description of the difference between given dates

Apps:

Touch - set the "modified" timestamp of a file to current time

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

SPDiff - Single-Pane Text Diff

On 27-8-2016 at 11:28 AM, AutoBert said:

Turn UAC off in registry. A system with enabled UAC allway show a UAC message.

@AutoBert, turning off UAC in registry (change value EnableLUA to 0) needs a reboot before it works.  I want to avoid that.

On 27-8-2016 at 0:18 PM, orbs said:

@dreivilo47,

this i not a "problem", and you do not "solve" it.

if you hate UAC on your own machine, then by all means suppress it as suggested (although that may cause other issues). but that is not the case, is it?

to perform an administrative task by a script, then before you begin, make sure your script runs with administrative rights in effect. how you do that depends on your system/network configuration. for examples, you can remotely create a scheduled task to run with the target local SYSTEM account; you can do it with PsExec; you can make use of a deployment tool installed in your network; you can write a background agent to do that; etc.

if you describe your environment, we can suggest the preferred method.

@orbs, in a couple of weeks I need to install software on more than 100 new laptops.  And I want to automate that so it can be done faster.
These laptops are not connected to a network, so I want to use an USB flash drive with the software on it.
I don't hate UAC, but I want to suppress the uac prompt because it becomes irritant after doing a lot of computers.  It slows down.

2 hours ago, dreivilo47 said:

@orbs, how you do that (in a post) the username beginning with an @ is highlighted?  :)

sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. this version of the forum software is somewhat crappy.

2 hours ago, dreivilo47 said:

in a couple of weeks I need to install software on more than 100 new laptops.  And I want to automate that so it can be done faster.
These laptops are not connected to a network, so I want to use an USB flash drive with the software on it.

since anyway you are going to plug it in, open the folder, double-click the setup file, and press a few [Next] buttons... i see no reason that one more click should discourage you. especially if working around that single click is probably the most troublesome piece of action to automate, in your case. if this is a one-off operation, and these laptops are fire-and-forget (i.e. you do not keep maintaining them centrally), then i advise you just accept the UAC as it is.

but, you can also get adventurous. you have a couple of weeks to prepare. answer this: are all of those laptops configured with an enabled, password-protected administrative account?

if so, here's what you can consider:

prepare a small network: 8-port switch, one Windows machine, a DHCP service, and an empty desk fitting for 7 laptops.

configure said Windows machine as follows: it constantly monitoring the LAN, whenever a new IP is discovered, it connects to it over PsExec with said admin account to perform the installation. when installation done, it checks if it was successful. if so, it sends a power-off command to the target.

what you do is this: unpack a laptop, connect it to the network, power it on. visit the laptop after few minutes. if it is shut down, repack it and ship to end user (or, randomly picking, disconnect from network, power on and validate the installation yourself). if it is not shut down, then something went wrong with the installation, check the cause or just install manually. you can do several laptops simultaneously like that.

good luck!

Signature - my forum contributions:

Spoiler

UDF:

LFN - support for long file names (over 260 characters)

InputImpose - impose valid characters in an input control

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

AMF - accept multiple files from Windows Explorer context menu

DateDuration -  literal description of the difference between given dates

Apps:

Touch - set the "modified" timestamp of a file to current time

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

SPDiff - Single-Pane Text Diff

@orbs,
- Good to know about the username beginning with an "@".
- You're right, I am going to accept the UAC as it is.
- I don't know of all of them are configured with an enabled, password-protected administrative account.
- Thank you very much for the information about the small network!

Edited by dreivilo47