Does anybody know how to work with this monster?

Nothing could be done to extract anything from the control TVirtualStringTree. All of ControlTreeView, ControlListView, _GUICtrlTreeView, _GUICtrlListView functions were tested with no success. Does anybody know any tool to solve the problem?

Edited by Vitaliy4us

• Moderators

@Vitaliy4us, you can't possibly believe that is enough information provided in order to assist you. How about a detailed description of what you're trying to do, in which application, and showing us the code you've tried? Help us help you ;)

Edit: Moved this to the appropriate forum as well; please be careful where you post in the future.

Edited by JLogan3o13

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

30 minutes ago, JLogan3o13 said:

@Vitaliy4us, you can't possibly believe that is enough information provided in order to assist you. How about a detailed description of what you're trying to do, in which application, and showing us the code you've tried? Help us help you ;)

Edit: Moved this to the appropriate forum as well; please be careful where you post in the future.

Should I list all of avalable ControlTreeView, ControlListView, _GUICtrlTreeView, _GUICtrlListView  functions for trying to interact with the control? I mean I tried  everything - count items, get text, select items,  etc. It looks like the control does not exist for AutoIt.  And sorry, about the forum I have no idea where should I post to. I tried to find out but possibly I was inattentive.

• Moderators

What you should do is start with something akin to:

"I am trying to accomplish <detailed description> in application <app name>". I have attempted to do this with the following code <posted code> but it is not working as I would like it to. Here is a screenshot of what I am seeing, and what I want to <click on, enter text on, manipulate, etc. etc. etc.>"

Otherwise, you're asking us to first guess at what you're trying to do, and then help you troubleshoot it. Just to say "can't extract text from a control" isn't enough information.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

13 minutes ago, Vitaliy4us said:

Should I list all of avalable ControlTreeView, ControlListView, _GUICtrlTreeView, _GUICtrlListView  functions for trying to interact with the control?

The infos from summary tab of the Au3Info tool would be helpfull.

Edited by AutoBert

2 hours ago, JLogan3o13 said:

What you should do is start with something akin to:

"I am trying to accomplish <detailed description> in application <app name>". I have attempted to do this with the following code <posted code> but it is not working as I would like it to. Here is a screenshot of what I am seeing, and what I want to <click on, enter text on, manipulate, etc. etc. etc.>"

Otherwise, you're asking us to first guess at what you're trying to do, and then help you troubleshoot it. Just to say "can't extract text from a control" isn't enough information.

Could you please move my topic to GUI forum?

• Moderators

Does your question revolve around creating a GUI, or just getting information from an external application? Again, read the description on the Forum. GUI Help and Support is for help with the GUI Creation features of AutoIt.

25 minutes ago, argumentum said:

it's likely written in delphi, therefore not using win32 api. It's a custom control. How to go about it ? No clue.

This is exactly Delphi. And the previous version of the application was using TListView control instead of  this one. And there was no problem to get the information from it. Visually the controls look the same but the new one is absolutely unaccessible

Edited by Vitaliy4us

9 minutes ago, Vitaliy4us said:

Visually the controls look the same but the new one is absolutely unaccessible

http://www.skypro.eu/products/faxgwise/features.aspx say Communication with FaxGwise Client via TCP/IP so maybe you can go about it differently. How ? No clue.
I've never seen this software before, but there is always a way in the AutoIt world (TM) :) 
Look at how the software works. I'll take a reverse-engineering frame of mind. They must write something to disk or local database of sorts or just fake a client. They also say Possibility of working with different email systems via protocols IMAP/SMTP , so, ...you'll find a way around it. Just not the way you were doing it.

Follow the link to my code contribution ( and other things too ).
FAQ - Please Read Before Posting.
autoit_scripter_blue_userbar.png

22 minutes ago, argumentum said:

http://www.skypro.eu/products/faxgwise/features.aspx say Communication with FaxGwise Client via TCP/IP so maybe you can go about it differently. How ? No clue.
I've never seen this software before, but there is always a way in the AutoIt world (TM) :) 
Look at how the software works. I'll take a reverse-engineering frame of mind. They must write something to disk or local database of sorts or just fake a client. They also say Possibility of working with different email systems via protocols IMAP/SMTP , so, ...you'll find a way around it. Just not the way you were doing it.

It seems to me I know the reason. Actually the control is virtual (TVirtualStringTree) and does not contain any data. It works like an intermediary between the user interface and the application. It gets request and send it somewhere further for example to database then gets the reply from the database and put it on the screen (of course explanation looks rather primitive but it should be like this). And this is the reason that it is impossible to get something from the control. It just does not contain anything.