Memory Reading Pointer Error

Hey there!

I've been searching all around the forums for a solution to my problem, but after extracting code from other topics and changing their settings to my own, the program doesn't return the correct values.

I used Cheat Engine to find a "4 Bytes" value that is supposed to be the mouse sensitivity of a program, walked through some steps to find the pointer address and I tried using the following script to retrieve the value of said address being returned by the pointer. The value is supposed to be between 20 and 50 (these are mouse sensitivity limits built into the program), however, the script is retrieving a value outside of these boundaries (currently returning 6).

$ID = ProcessExists("process.exe")
      MsgBox(0,0,$ID)
Global $Offset[1] = [Dec("F8")] 
$StaticOffset = 0x0267C01C ; This is actually a pointer address and I have no idea if I put it in the right place :(

$openmem = _MemoryOpen($ID)
$baseADDR = _MemoryGetBaseAddress($openmem)
$finalADDR = "0x" & Hex($baseADDR + $StaticOffset)

$r = _MemoryPointerRead($finalADDR, $openmem, $Offset, "float")
_MemoryClose($openmem)

;Test if value is correct
MsgBox(0, "Info", $r[1]) ; returns 0
MsgBox(0, "Info", $finalADDR) ; returns an address
$readplswork = _MemoryRead($finalADDR, $openmem)
If $readplswork = 0 Then
   MsgBox(0,0,@error)
Else
   MsgBox(0, "Info", $readplswork) ;returns an incorrect value
EndIf

EndFunc

Offset: F8
Pointer Address: 0267C01C

Could you please check my script and tell me if there's anything I'm doing wrong and how I could fix that? I'm a bit new to Memory Reading and all this fancy stuff. Currently using NomadMemory.au3.

Thank you very much!

1 hour ago, ProgrammerKid said:

Could you please check my script and tell me if there's anything I'm doing wrong and how I could fix that?

I (and i think most users of this forum) need real data to play with, so what's the real name of process.exe? Without testing possible solutions isn't possible for me!

2 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Does Au3Info not work?

Nope, sadly it doesn't return any controls, only the GUI Handle, window title, mouse position and other basic stuff. :(

43 minutes ago, AutoBert said:

I (and i think most users of this forum) need real data to play with, so what's the real name of process.exe? Without testing possible solutions isn't possible for me!

I'm sorry, I can't do that, it's another project of mine which I'd like to keep private. Although, you most likely don't need it. It's just a simple memory reading script. The only issue is that I didn't fully understand how memory pointer addresses work, so I probably messed up the script.

Edited by ProgrammerKid

2 minutes ago, ProgrammerKid said:

I'm sorry, I can't do that, it's another project of mine which I'd like to keep private. Although, you most likely don't need it. It's just a simple memory reading script. The only issue is that I didn't fully understand how memory pointer addresses work, so I probably messed up the script.

I understand this, but can you make a runable testscript with noteoad.exe?

• Moderators

As the main page of Cheat Engine states it's purpose is to modify games, this is obviously something we're not going to support. I am surprised it wasn't reported already rather than people trying to assist on something like this, but locking this before it goes any further. 

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!