Ahile07

Old fashion way search array

Ahile07

Hello guys. Again a dummy question for smart people.

I'm wondering if any of you can help me with an issue. I've got a list of names that i would like to store into an array variable. Example $names = [name1][name2][name3]

Then i've got an inputbox that asks for your name. I don't know how i can be able to see if the inputbox value is different then the names. I've done already separate if statements if the values are = with the names. But i want to check for error in case the value of the inputbox is different then my list of names.

Hope it makes sense.

Thank you

l3ill
#include <Array.au3>

Local $names[3] = ["name 1", "name 2", "name 3"]

$sValue = InputBox("", "")

If _ArraySearch($names, $sValue) Then
    MsgBox(0, "", "Wrong Name ! ")
Else
    MsgBox(0, "", "$sValue = " & $sValue)
EndIf

Never mind, this didn't work as expected...

Edited by l3ill

l3ill

here we go...this one works:

#include <Array.au3>

Local $names[3] = ["name 1", "name 2", "name 3"]

$sValue = InputBox("", "")

If _ArraySearch($names, $sValue) = -1 Then
    MsgBox(0, "", "Wrong Name ! ")
Else
    MsgBox(0, "", "$sValue = " & $sValue)
EndIf

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Ibet
      By Ibet
      Hey all, 
      Ending day 2 of learning AutoIt, and I'm stumped. I wrote an extremely rudimentary script simulating keystrokes for reading/copying values from one excel spreadsheet and pasting them into another spreadsheet, line by line. It works, but it doesn't use any of the Excel UDFs and was just sloppy. So, I'm trying to re-write it using some Excel UDFs to not only optimize the script, but to also learn how to use the Excel UDFs. If the answer is in a help file, please explain as I'm sometimes having problems understanding the examples in the help files.
      I'm getting the error: 
      "C:\Users\johndoe\Desktop\AutoIt Test\AutoIt_Read spreadsheet 1 - write spreadsheet 2-version2.au3" (25) : ==> Array variable has incorrect number of subscripts or subscript dimension range exceeded.: MsgBox(0,"Test","Test",$SourceEntry[1]) MsgBox(0,"Test","Test",^ ERROR >Exit code: 1 Time: 1.804 Here is the code:
      #include<Array.au3> #include<Excel.au3> ;-------------------Read from Source--------------------------- Local $oExcel_Source = _Excel_Open() Local $sWorkbook = "C:\Users\johndoe\Desktop\AutoIt Test\AutoIt_Testing_SOURCE.xlsx" Local $oWorkbook = _Excel_BookOpen($oExcel_Source,$sWorkbook) Local $SourceRow = 3 ;--eventually will be used to iterate through the rows, one at a time Local $SourceEntry[5] = _Excel_RangeRead($oWorkbook,Default,"A"&$SourceRow&":E"&$SourceRow) _ArrayDisplay($SourceEntry, "1D Display") ;--Displays array values correctly MsgBox(0,"Test","Test",$SourceEntry[1]) ;--Gives error, for any index in the array I want to make sure I can read the values of the array individually, before I try putting them into another document. This is because I've got to add some checks against the values already existing in the destination spreadsheet before any manipulation. I've spent the last hour or more googling that error and reading multiple posts where that error is meaning many different things, so unsure EXACTLY what the problem is. Would greatly appreciate a fix and/or explanation as well as patience with my noob-ness.
      Thanks in advance
    • SlackerAl
      By SlackerAl
      I appreciate this seems like a trivial question, but my searching has failed....
      I was using a 1D array as follows:
      Local $DataName[3] = [2, $sBaseFileName, $sUpdatedFileName] And all was OK. I then wanted to separate the declaration from the assignment and assumed I could do something like:
      Local $DataName[3] $DataName = [2, $sBaseFileName, $sUpdatedFileName] ;or $DataName[] = [2, $sBaseFileName, $sUpdatedFileName] But I see I cannot. I am aware that I can add the 3 elements 1 at a time with _ArrayAdd, but is there a simple inline method like I was trying for?
    • Lynn Shaw
      By Lynn Shaw
      Anyone know why _ArraySearch is not finding an entry with a single quote in it?  
      Here is an example:
      #include <array.au3>
      Dim $array[3][2]
      $array[0][0] = "Testing is****fun"
      $array[1][0] = "Don't mess with me kid"
      $array[2][0] = "blah'blah"
      _ArrayDisplay($array)
      $index = _ArraySearch($array, "blah'blah", 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1)
      MsgBox(262144, 'Debug line ~' & @ScriptLineNumber, 'Selection:' & @CRLF & '$index' & @CRLF & @CRLF & 'Return:' & @CRLF & $index) ;### Debug MSGBOX
    • joiner
      By joiner
      AutoIT 3.3.12.0
      Array.au3 - original
      how is that?

• Burgs
      By Burgs
      Greetings,
        I seem to be having a problem trying to insert values into an array in excess of the size of the array (its Ubound value).  I thought the command would simply 'ReDim' the array in order to add another value...however that does not seem to be happening.  My code is as below:

;**SET DYNAMIC ARRAY DIMENSIONS... $vValue = Int($_STRUCTURE_LEVEL - 1) ;seek the '$_HIERARCHY' level that is one 'previous' to the 'current' value...! $iStart = 0 ;set to begin search from element "0" in array... Do $_Files_Located = _Arraysearch($_HIERARCHY, $vValue, $iStart) if Int($_Files_Located) <> -1 Then $iEnd = 1 For $_RIGGING = 0 to Ubound($_LINE_DETAIL3) - 1 _ArrayInsert($_STRUCTURES, $_Files_Located + $iEnd, String($_LINE_DETAIL3[$_RIGGING])) _ArrayInsert($_HIERARCHY, $_Files_Located + $iEnd, Int($_STRUCTURE_LEVEL)) _ArrayInsert($_INFERIOR_TMPLS, $_Files_Located + $iEnd, Int(-1)) $iEnd += 1 ;increment EACH ITERATION... Next ;Next $_RIGGING EndIf ;'$_Files_Located' NOT "-1"...value for previous '$_STRUCTURE_LEVEL' ;was located in '$_HIERARCHY' array... $iStart += (Ubound($_LINE_DETAIL3) + 1) ;increment the offset index element position to begin the next search... ;"+ 1" to INCLUDE the 'parent' ('searched') UNIT...! Until $_Files_Located == -1 ;end loop when previous '$_STRUCTURE_LEVEL' is NOT found in '$_HIERARCHY' array... ;**  
        This code routine works perfectly fine except when the 'searched' value ($_Files_Located) happens to be the final element position in the searched array...how can I modify this routine so that the final additions at the end of the array(s) are made?  I thank in advance for any replies.