Automatically disable McAfee settings

Hi,

I'm trying to automate the process of configuring the three McAfee settings seen in the image I've attached (Host IPS, Network IPS and Firewall).  Clicking one of them toggles the setting and closes the menu.  I want them all OFF.  This script will be used on different computers so the settings might be have different initial setups.

This is my first time using AutoIt and I have very limited coding experience--mostly MATLAB.  Please excuse any lack of knowledge or terminology. 

So far my code is able to
1. Find the visible McAfee icon in the system tray. 
2. Click the icon.
3. Send "Q" to open up the Quick Settings menu.
4. Toggle settings blindly using keystrokes.

The problem I'm having is I don't know how to "read" the status of the setting before toggling it.  This means I might be switching it from Off to On by mistake,

when I should really just leave it alone. 

I'm wondering a couple of things. 

1. Is there an easy way to "read" the status of the setting?  This would solve the problem.  Part of the challenge with this overall assignment is that there doesn't

seem to be any sort of "control" built into these menus.  In other words, the only thing that changes in Au3Info when you hover over different options is the

coordinates of the mouse--there aren't any unique control IDs or texts to my knowledge that differentiate between different settings or menus.  I don't know how to search for text in a menu and get an index or anything like that.  I've attached my code at the bottom and commented-out two ideas I had for reading the status and acting accordingly after "Send (Q)".  Neither of which were fruitful. 

2. Is there an alternative to the overall method I've chosen that is simpler and more robust?  It seems like there must be an alternative path to these settings besides the system tray, but I don't know of any such paths.   The final script is going to be used on a number of computers which may have the McAfee icon either hidden or visible in the system tray, but currently my script only works if it is visible.  I haven't figured out how to access hidden icons with mouse clicks yet. 

I should also mention that most of my code for step 1 (find the McAfee icon) comes from something I found online.  I've stared at it for a while, and I think I know how it works, but I wouldn't have known those GUI commands existed and wouldn't have been able to write that bit of code on my own.    I don't want you to overestimate my understanding of AutoIt.  Sorry for the long post, just wanted to provide all the relevant info. 

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks in advance.

-Cody

#cs
AutoIt McAfee disable
#ce

#Include <GuiToolBar.au3>
#Include <GUIConstants.au3>

Local $Array[3]

For $Element In $Array

Global $hSysTray_Handle, $iSystray_ButtonNumber
    Global $sToolTipTitle = "McAfee status: OK" ; <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Enter some tooltip text for the icon you want here
    $iSystray_ButtonNumber = Get_Systray_Index($sToolTipTitle)

If $iSystray_ButtonNumber = 0 Then
        MsgBox(16, "Error", "Icon not found in system tray")
        Exit
    Else
        Sleep(500)
        _GUICtrlToolbar_ClickButton($hSysTray_Handle, $iSystray_ButtonNumber, "right")
    EndIf

Send( "Q" )
    ;$DropDownHandle = Controlgethandle( "", "Host IPS - on", "")
    ;$text = ControlGetText( "", "Host IPS - on", "")
    ;If "Host IPS - on" = 1 Then
    ;   Send( $Element )
    ;EndIf

Next

Exit

;........

Func Get_Systray_Index($sToolTipTitle)

; Find systray handle
    $hSysTray_Handle = ControlGetHandle('[Class:Shell_TrayWnd]', '', '[Class:ToolbarWindow32;Instance:1]')
    If @error Then
        MsgBox(16, "Error", "System tray not found")
        Exit
    EndIf

; Get systray item count
    Local $iSystray_ButCount = _GUICtrlToolbar_ButtonCount($hSysTray_Handle)
    If $iSystray_ButCount = 0 Then
        MsgBox(16, "Error", "No items found in system tray")
        Exit
    EndIf

; Look for wanted tooltip
    For $iSystray_ButtonNumber = 0 To $iSystray_ButCount - 1
        If StringInStr(_GUICtrlToolbar_GetButtonText($hSysTray_Handle, $iSystray_ButtonNumber), $sToolTipTitle) = 1 Then ExitLoop
    Next

If $iSystray_ButtonNumber = $iSystray_ButCount Then
        Return 0 ; Not found
    Else
        Return $iSystray_ButtonNumber ; Found
    EndIf

EndFunc

ForumPostSnip.PNG

Edited by irishsurfer22

I'm trying to automatically configure the McAfee settings as seen in the link below. I am able to toggle the settings with key strokes, but I haven't figured out a way to "read" the setting before toggling it. This means the code might switch from the correct setting to the incorrect one. Any ideas on how to do this? Maybe there is an alternative method altogether. I've provided pictures of what Au3Info shows for some of the menu options in the link. There is no difference is Au3Info between the three settings when I hover over them except the mouse position.  I made a post about this a few days ago, but it was long and didn't get any responses so this is round 2.  I hope I'm posting this in the right forum. 

Thanks in advance! 

http://imgur.com/a/IiBLT

• Moderators

I merged the two, as they were in the same vein; we ask that forum members stick to one thread per topic. Why do you want to delete the first, as it has much more information on what you're trying to do than the second?

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

Oh okay, that makes more sense.  It didn't get any responses so I figured it was probably too long for anyone to want to read through.  I guess it's possible that a lot of people read it and just didn't have any ideas, but there's no way for me to know that.  Seems more likely that it never got to the right set of eyes.  Any forum advice?

Edited by irishsurfer22

• Moderators

My general posting advice would be:

• First and foremost always, ensure your question does not violate the forum rules.
  • Do a thorough search of the forum before you post; use something like this in google:
    • site:autoitscript.com McAfee Settings
  • When you do post, ensure you are providing a detailed description of what you are trying to accomplish.
  • Also include an example of the effort you have put forth on your own:
    • most forum members will not spoon-feed code to you, they like to see you're really interested in learning.
    • The "it's just too complicated, it's easy for you guys, someone just do it for me" mentality will not be received well (not saying this is what you did).
  • Even after posting, continue to research the issue:
    • Wait 24 hours before bumping your thread, but when you do make it a meaningful bump.
    • Instead of just "bump", include what you have been doing in the past day, week, etc. to resolve the issue, and where you are stuck.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

• 3 months later...

Thank you irishsurfer22, for this solution, I was looking for exactly the same. There was a slight bug I came across when testing the code you posted in your first post.

In case the ToolTip is not found please Return some other value than 0 (For e.g. -1) and also validate for the same while throwing the error

;...
If $iSystray_ButCount = -1 Then
        MsgBox(16, "Error", "No items found in system tray")
        Exit
EndIf
;...

In my case Mcafee's Icon was present at 0th position, so even if it was found, it was reported as not found.

Thanks again for your good effort.