Silent uninstall broken in Win10 -- need suggestions for workaround

bstjohn

I'm running AutoIT v3.3.14.2 on Windows 10 ver 1511.  The September Cumulative Update from Microsoft has broken the way some third party credential providers work.  You can see more detail here:  https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7018051

So I want to automatically and silently remove this update from all our machines.  In Windows 7 I could easily do it with this:

wusa.exe /uninstall /kb:3185614 /quiet

But apparently Microsoft has taken away the /quiet switch functionality in Windows 10.   wusa /? will show that the switch is there, but when trying to use it error 87 (invalid parameter) is returned.

So I relented on that point and decided to run wusa without the quiet switch.  It pops up a child window that prompts for confirmation before uninstalling the update.  Sounds like a perfect job for AutoIT, right?  Except I can't get the button to click, either using ControlClick or ControlSend or Send.  I can select it by sending the {Alt} key to it and it highlights.  But I just can't get it to accept the click or {Enter}.

I then tried using Powershell and DISM to remove the package, but this is a hotfix and doesn't have a package name, so I can't use dism /remove-package, either.

Does anybody have any other ideas how this can be done silently?

Edited by bstjohn

mine runs clean as you have posted.  Though I am not on 1511 (i am on 14931)

Can you verify that this behavior occurs with other KBs, while I confirm it on previous builds?

*just removed 3118281 from Win10 in the exact manner you have above, with no user interaction.

Have you ruled out the other scenarios on technet that throw 0x80070057 like services disabled or the source server issues here?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/90b1d1dd-3538-444d-9ad8-0f080211a268/solved-having-a-hard-time-with-getting-windows-update-to-work?forum=w7itprogeneral

Edited by iamtheky

,-. .--. ________ .-. .-. ,---. ,-. .-. .-. .-.
|(| / /\ \ |\ /| |__ __||| | | || .-' | |/ / \ \_/ )/
(_) / /__\ \ |(\ / | )| | | `-' | | `-. | | / __ \ (_)
| | | __ | (_)\/ | (_) | | .-. | | .-' | | \ |__| ) (
| | | | |)| | \ / | | | | | |)| | `--. | |) \ | |
`-' |_| (_) | |\/| | `-' /( (_)/( __.' |((_)-' /(_|
'-' '-' (__) (__) (_) (__)

whats the result of MicrosoftFixit50202?

Edited by iamtheky

I absolutely do not want to do that.  That's what started this whole mess.  You think you have automatic updates locked down and Microsoft finds some sneaky way to get one by and break things.

Our updates are only supposed to come from a WSUS server.  This one Microsoft was able to send directly to machines.  If I reset automatic update settings it will just pull the lid off Pandora's Box.

-Barry.

do you not have the update server blocked by firewall or GPO or other means?  Are your endpoints only a radio button away from running out to MS?  Resetting the entire stack should not be something to be afraid of.

ftr - i am enterprise security and have the same want for systems to only fetch from in house (we are SCCM on endpoints though), this solution would not circumvent any of those controls.

Edited by iamtheky

There were a couple of other suggestions in that link, it looked like one was a batch version of the tear down, so you could walk it yourself rather than trusting the FixIt.  I understand the aversion, and am not trying to be antagonistic, it just comes naturally. :)

Windows 10 Pro 1511, wusa /? says :

wusa /uninstall /kb:<KB number> [/norestart | /warnrestart:<seconds> | /promptrestart | /forcerestart] [/log:<file name>]

No /quiet options when using /kb parameter... strange

Edited by jguinch

probably not ideal, but can you call the one from the windows.old directory?

For me, it's a from stratch install,  not an upgrade, so I can't.

I just tried to copy the wusa.exe file from a Windows 7 VM into my Windows 10 System32 directory (with a backup on the original one before, of course) : the command does nothing... (and anyway it's a bad idea)

I also tried with dism /online /get-packages, but the KB3185614 does not appear in the list (however, it appears in the updates list in the control panel)

Edited by jguinch

@jguinch

Interesting.  I, too, am working with a fresh install (no upgrade from 7) but I see the /quiet switch.  See attached.

As for dism, you won't find it there because KB3185614 doesn't have a package name.

In powershell, it shows up under get-hotfix, but there's no corresponding command for removing a hotfix, only a package.  And you can't remove a package without the package name -- at least not that I've been able to find.

-Barry.

wusa.png

OH!  Good catch!  The line above has it, but also lists <update>.  Not sure I get using /uninstall and update together.  Reading....  d'oh!  OK, update is what you'd be uninstalling.  I was looking at it as a verb.

-Barry.

Edited by bstjohn
clarity