Excel Dies and I don't know why?

chobo2

Hi

I keep getting this error but the weird thing is that it only happens on one of my like 10 tests but they are all using the same code.

My code is

Local $oExcel = OpenExcel()

Local $excelWorkBook = GetExcelWorkBook("\Files\ExcelWorkBook.xlsx", $oExcel)
    Local $newBidderRegWorkSheet = GetExcelWorkSheet($excelWorkBook, "Test1")

CloseWorkBook($excelWorkBook)
    CloseExcel($oExcel)
Func OpenExcel(Const $bVisible = True, Const $bDisplayAlerts = False, Const $bScreenUpdating = True, Const $bInteractive = True, Const $bForceNew = False)
    Local $oExcel = _Excel_Open($bVisible, $bDisplayAlerts, $bScreenUpdating, $bInteractive, $bForceNew)

If IsObj($oExcel) And @error Then
        Exit
    EndIf
    return $oExcel
EndFunc

Func GetExcelWorkBook($excelWorkbookFilePath, $oExcel)

Local $fileName = @ScriptDir &  $excelWorkbookFilePath 

If Not FileExists($fileName) 
        Exit
    EndIf

Local $excelWorkbook = _Excel_BookOpen($oExcel, $filename)
    If @error Then
        Exit
    EndIf

return $excelWorkbook 
EndFunc 

Func GetExcelWorkSheet($excelWorkbook, $worksheetName)
    Local Const $scriptName = "ExcelHelpers.au3"
    $result = _Excel_RangeRead($excelWorkbook, $worksheetName)
    if @error Then
        Exit
    EndIf
    return $result 
EndFunc

Func CloseWorkBook($excelWorkbook)
     $result = _Excel_BookClose( $excelWorkbook, False )
     if @error Then
        Exit
    EndIf
    return $result 
EndFunc

Func CloseExcel($oExcel)
     $result = _Excel_Close( $oExcel)
     if @error Then
        Exit
    EndIf
    return $result 
EndFunc

Running the newest version of autoit and office 2016.

error.JPG

• Moderators

The error is telling you the workbook object doesn't exist. If you are running this test multiple times as you mention, are you ensuring there is no Excel object left hanging around after you end?

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

How would I check. I do have all those @errors to check if the file had problems closing and such.

The other funny thing is that I am running this on another computer and it works one difference I can see is that it is excel 2010.

One mistake I see is that you are not declaring $oExcel, $excelWorkBook and $newbidderRegWorksheet as global.

Oh, I see you are passing the handles in.  Never mind.

This looks wrong

Exit
EndIf

if @error then exit.

You are getting function happy when the functions already exist for all operations.  Make the handles global, lose the functions.

Edited by aiter

9 hours ago, Somerset said:

You keep feeding it after midnight, don't you?

How does this help to solve the problem :huh:

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

chobo2,

can you please tell us why you need those wrapper functions?
I think they make the code much more complex but as I see do not serve any purpose.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

11 hours ago, water said:

chobo2,

can you please tell us why you need those wrapper functions?
I think they make the code much more complex but as I see do not serve any purpose.

Logging(removed in example) and code re usability. I have to reuse this code many time over and over I don't want my test to have like 30 lines of all the same code, makes maintainability of tests alot harder. 

12 hours ago, aiter said:

One mistake I see is that you are not declaring $oExcel, $excelWorkBook and $newbidderRegWorksheet as global.

Oh, I see you are passing the handles in.  Never mind.

This looks wrong

Exit
EndIf

if @error then exit.

You are getting function happy when the functions already exist for all operations.  Make the handles global, lose the functions.

I made the functions for code resuability as there is alot of checks to see if the object exists which I later log and such. I don't want to duplicate this code everytime I make a test(currently at 12 tests using this same code).

Edited by chobo2

When searching the forum for the error message you get 19 hits.
I provided a solution for this problem here:

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

23 hours ago, water said:

When searching the forum for the error message you get 19 hits.
I provided a solution for this problem here:

Thanks.

It seems to have solved my issue on my local machine with Excel 2016 (but I am doing more testing) but on the other machine with Excel 2010 on it, now I get the exact same error. 

Seems like I can win. 

Should I be checking for something else to stop the error from popping up? So the script could try again or something. 

Edited by chobo2

You are running the same version of AutoIt and try to open the same workbook on both machines?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

2 hours ago, water said:

You are running the same version of AutoIt and try to open the same workbook on both machines?

Yep both are 3.3.14.2 and it is the same workbook. It works sometimes that is the thing that confuses me so much. It can run like 5 times in a row just fine, then the 6th time it dies with that error. 

I look at see and I can see no excel process running or anything.