Check if script is running from TaskScheduler

I was trying to find a way to check if process is run manually by loged in user or by TaskScheduler.

I find this example:
https://www.autoitscript.com/wiki/Snippets_(_Windows_OS_)#IsDeskTopLocked.28.29

but this is not what I looking for, so I decide to ask here.

How to check if script is run from TaskScheduler ?

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

I know who run. In most cases This User which setup scheduler.

I Just need to know if it is run as a task scheduler job.

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Hello mLipok. You can do something like this.

Edit: Require Admin

#AutoIt3Wrapper_Au3Check_Parameters=-q -d -w 1 -w 2 -w 3 -w- 4 -w 5 -w 6 -w- 7
#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>
#include <File.au3>
#include <WinAPIFiles.au3>
#include <WinAPIProc.au3>

#AutoIt3Wrapper_UseX64=y

Local $aProcess = ProcessList()

Local $IsScheduled = False
For $i = 1 To $aProcess[0][0]
    $IsScheduled = _IsProcessScheduled($aProcess[$i][1])
    ConsoleWrite(($IsScheduled ? "!" : "+") & StringFormat("%-40s%s", $aProcess[$i][0], $IsScheduled) & @CRLF)
Next

Func _IsProcessScheduled($iProcessPID)
    If Not @AutoItX64 Then _WinAPI_Wow64EnableWow64FsRedirection(False)

Local $sProcessParentName = _WinAPI_GetProcessName(_WinAPI_GetParentProcess($iProcessPID))
    Local $sProcessFullPath = _WinAPI_GetProcessFileName($iProcessPID)
    Local $IsProcessScheduled = False
    Local $sSubKey = ""
    Local $sTasksFolder = @WindowsDir & "\System32\Tasks"
    Local $i = 1
    Local $sRegPath = "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" & (@AutoItX64 ? "" : "64") & "\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tasks\"
    Local $sTaskPath = ""
    Local $sXMLTaskPath = ""
    Local $sXMLProcessPath = ""
    While True
        $sSubKey = RegEnumKey($sRegPath, $i)
        $sTaskPath = RegRead($sRegPath & $sSubKey, "Path")
        $sXMLTaskPath = $sTasksFolder & $sTaskPath
        If @error Then ExitLoop
        $sXMLProcessPath = _GetXmlPath(FileRead($sXMLTaskPath))
        If $sXMLProcessPath = $sProcessFullPath Then
            $IsProcessScheduled = True
            ExitLoop
        EndIf
        $i += 1
    WEnd

If Not @AutoItX64 Then _WinAPI_Wow64EnableWow64FsRedirection(True)

Return ($IsProcessScheduled And $sProcessParentName = "svchost.exe")
EndFunc   ;==>_IsProcessScheduled

Func _GetXmlPath($sXML)
    Local $sPath = _GetXMLItem($sXML, "Command")
    If StringInStr($sPath, "%") Then
        Local $aReg = StringRegExp($sPath, "%(.*?)%", 3)
        If IsArray($aReg) Then
            $sPath = StringReplace($sPath, "%" & $aReg[0] & "%", EnvGet($aReg[0]))
        EndIf
    EndIf

Return StringReplace($sPath, '"', '')
EndFunc   ;==>_GetXmlPath

Func _GetXMLItem($sXML, $sItem)
    Local $aReg = StringRegExp($sXML, '<' & $sItem & '>(.*?)</' & $sItem & '>', 3)
    If IsArray($aReg) Then
        Return $aReg[0]
    Else
        Return ""
    EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>_GetXMLItem

Saludos

Edited by Danyfirex
Info

I think I will do it thanks to:

and with this:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa381190(v=vs.85).aspx

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

@mLipok, sorry for the late reply. i encountered this issue a while back, and found the most appropriate answer here.

excerpt:

Instead of trying to guess how your program was executed, you should have the launcher tell you how they are executing your program. You do this by registering a different command line for each of the scenarios, and then checking for that command line in the program.

EDIT: i would add also, that for me what makes the difference is the user account under which the exe is run. if it's a scheduled task and i configure it to run as SYSTEM, and otherwise it would run under the logged-on user account, that makes a difference for the exe functionality, and is also easily detectable.

@Danyfirex, would you mind explain your logic? i see you query the task scheduler to determine the full path to the exe of the checked process, and compare it to the info you get from the process itself. but the fact that they are identical does not necessarily mean the running process is scheduled, it could mean the user double-clicked the same exe in the same path - which is probably the only place in the system where that exe resides.

then you check that the parent is svchost.exe - i know it runs and manages running services, including the task scheduler, but is it the parent of a scheduled task? do you have any reference for that?

Edited by orbs

Signature - my forum contributions:

Spoiler

UDF:

LFN - support for long file names (over 260 characters)

InputImpose - impose valid characters in an input control

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

AMF - accept multiple files from Windows Explorer context menu

DateDuration -  literal description of the difference between given dates

Apps:

Touch - set the "modified" timestamp of a file to current time

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

SPDiff - Single-Pane Text Diff

OK, just stumbled upon an approach that might just work.

first, you need to enable the event log that is in charge of the tasks scheduler:

Event viewer \ Applications and Services Logs \ Microsoft \ Windows \ TaskScheduler \ Operational

(on my Windows 7 x64 Ultimate. other versions of Windows might have it somewhere else)

highlight that log, then Actions > Enable Log.

once that is enabled, let your script query this log (start with most recent entries) and look for Event ID 129. the description of it reads something as follows:

Task Scheduler launch task "\au3\au3@task" , instance "C:\au3@task.exe"  with process ID 4028.

if your script process ID (@AutoItPID) and full path (@ScriptFullPath or @AutoItExe, i don't know what's the difference) both match the event description, then your are scheduled! :)

B.T.W. i checked it only manually. i used au3@task as an example for a scheduled task, then i checked the processes list to see its the same PID (4028), that is listed in the event description.

Spoiler

UDF:

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

Apps:

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

Hello. @orbs yes. I check for each process and check parent process ( svchost.exe is the parent for any task (As far I tested)) and task path=processPath. All this is based in my own (5 minutes) testing. It does not mean it's strictly right. But you can check by yourself running same exe one by task scheduler and the other manually and you will see that it match only the scheduled one.

I think is better to use mLipok's method.

Saludos

Here is my example/solution:

;~ http://www.fixitscripts.com/problems/script-to-check-if-task-in-windows-task-scheduler-has-run
;---------------------------------------------------------
; This sample enumerates through the tasks on the local computer and
; displays their name and state.
; mLipok:  This sample was modified to show how to check if Running Program is run by TaskScheduler

If _Example() Then MsgBox($MB_ICONINFORMATION, 'ATTENTION', 'This program is run from TASK SCHEDULER')

Func _Example()
    Local $bIsRunFromTaskScheduler = False

Local $strerrors = 0
    ; Create the Task$service object.
    Local $service = ObjCreate("Schedule.service")
    $service.Connect()

; Get the task folder that contains the tasks.
    Local $rootFolder = $service.GetFolder("\")

Local $taskCollection = $rootFolder.GetTasks(0)

Local $numberOfTasks = $taskCollection.Count

If $numberOfTasks = 0 Then
        ConsoleWrite("No tasks are registered." & @CRLF)
    Else
        ConsoleWrite("Number of tasks registered: " & $numberOfTasks & @CRLF)

For $registeredTask In $taskCollection

If $registeredTask.State = 4 Then
                ConsoleWrite("Task Name: " & $registeredTask.Name & " is running with PID: " & _TaskScheduler_GetRunningTaskPid($registeredTask.Name) & @CRLF)
                If @AutoItPID = _TaskScheduler_GetRunningTaskPid($registeredTask.Name) Then
                    $bIsRunFromTaskScheduler = True
                EndIf
            ElseIf $registeredTask.LastTaskResult = 0 Then
                ConsoleWrite("Task Name: " & $registeredTask.Name & " is all ok" & @CRLF)
            Else
                ConsoleWrite("Task Name: " & $registeredTask.Name & " has Problems" & @CRLF)
                $strerrors += 1
            EndIf
        Next
    EndIf

If $strerrors Then
        ConsoleWrite("You have problems at least " & $strerrors & @CRLF)
    Else
        ConsoleWrite("All OK" & @CRLF)
    EndIf

Return $bIsRunFromTaskScheduler
EndFunc   ;==>_Example

Func _TaskScheduler_GetRunningTaskPid($sTaskName)
    Local $service = ObjCreate("Schedule.service")
    $service.Connect()
    Local $runningTasks = $service.GetRunningTasks(1)

For $runningTask_enum In $runningTasks
        If $runningTask_enum.Name = $sTaskName Then
            ConsoleWrite("Running Task PID:" & $runningTask_enum.EnginePID & @CRLF)
            Return $runningTask_enum.EnginePID
        EndIf
    Next

EndFunc   ;==>_TaskScheduler_GetRunningTaskPid

btw.
There is no need for #RequireAdmin

:)

EDIT: REMARK: in this example I intentionaly not use AutoIt BestCodingPractice (VariableNames) , my intention was to show how to convert some part of code from this:
http://www.fixitscripts.com/problems/script-to-check-if-task-in-windows-task-scheduler-has-run

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

Here is more proper example:

If _TaskScheduler_IsStartedByScheduler() Then MsgBox($MB_ICONINFORMATION, 'ATTENTION', 'This program is run from TASK SCHEDULER "Schedule.service"')

Func _TaskScheduler_IsStartedByScheduler()
    ; Create the Task service object.
    Local $oShedulerService = ObjCreate("Schedule.service")
    $oShedulerService.Connect()

Local $oRootFolder = $oShedulerService.GetFolder("\")

Local $oTasks_coll = $oRootFolder.GetTasks(0)
    If $oTasks_coll.Count = 0 Then Return False

For $oRegisteredTask_enum In $oTasks_coll
        If $oRegisteredTask_enum.State = 4 and @AutoItPID = _TaskScheduler_GetRunningTaskPid($oRegisteredTask_enum.Name) Then
            Return True
        EndIf
    Next

Return False
EndFunc   ;==>_TaskScheduler_IsStartedByScheduler

Local $oRunningTasks_coll = $oShedulerService.GetRunningTasks(1)

For $oRunningTask_enum In $oRunningTasks_coll
        If $oRunningTask_enum.Name = $sTaskName Then Return $oRunningTask_enum.EnginePID
    Next

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

Nice. Just another way for fun.

If _IsStartedByScheduler() Then MsgBox($MB_ICONINFORMATION, 'ATTENTION', 'This program is run from TASK SCHEDULER "Schedule.service"')

Func _IsStartedByScheduler()
    Local $iPID1 = _WinAPI_GetParentProcess()
    Local $iPID2 = _WinAPI_GetParentProcess($iPID1)

Return _WinAPI_GetProcessName($iPID1) = "svchost.exe" And _WinAPI_GetProcessName($iPID2) = "services.exe"
EndFunc   ;==>_IsStartedByScheduler

Saludos

Aha.

Few days ago I was trying to do this with the same concept as you was provided, but I was using _WinAPI_GetParentProcess() only once :), so I have no positive efects.

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

@mLipok,

your example at post #10 does not work for me. i'm in the process troubleshooting.

@Danyfirex,

i found (using Process Explorer) that the parent of a task is taskeng.exe, and its parent is svchost.exe (Windows 7 x64). so your solution at post #11 works if i change it to:

Return _WinAPI_GetProcessName($iPID1) = "taskeng.exe" And _WinAPI_GetProcessName($iPID2) = "svchost.exe"

z

Edited by orbs

Spoiler

UDF:

Apps:

9 minutes ago, orbs said:

your example at post #10 does not work for me. i'm in the process troubleshooting.

Please try this modified version with COM Error Handler:

Global $__g_oErrorHandler = ObjEvent("AutoIt.Error", "_ErrFunc")

If _TaskScheduler_IsStartedByScheduler() Then MsgBox($MB_ICONINFORMATION, 'ATTENTION', 'This program is run from TASK SCHEDULER "Schedule.service"')

If $oRegisteredTask_enum.State = 4 and @AutoItPID = _TaskScheduler_GetRunningTaskPid($oRegisteredTask_enum.Name) Then
            Return True
        EndIf
    Next

Return False

Local $oRunningTasks_coll = $oShedulerService.GetRunningTasks(1)

For $oRunningTask_enum In $oRunningTasks_coll
        If $oRunningTask_enum.Name = $sTaskName Then Return $oRunningTask_enum.EnginePID
    Next

; User's COM error function. Will be called if COM error occurs
Func _ErrFunc($oError)
    ; Do anything here.
    Local $sErrorDescription = @ScriptName & " (" & $oError.scriptline & ") : ==> COM Error intercepted !" & @CRLF & _
            @TAB & "$oError.number is: " & @TAB & @TAB & "0x" & Hex($oError.number) & @CRLF & _
            @TAB & "$oError.windescription:" & @TAB & $oError.windescription & @CRLF & _
            @TAB & "$oError.description is: " & @TAB & $oError.description & @CRLF & _
            @TAB & "$oError.source is: " & @TAB & @TAB & $oError.source & @CRLF & _
            @TAB & "$oError.helpfile is: " & @TAB & $oError.helpfile & @CRLF & _
            @TAB & "$oError.helpcontext is: " & @TAB & $oError.helpcontext & @CRLF & _
            @TAB & "$oError.lastdllerror is: " & @TAB & $oError.lastdllerror & @CRLF & _
            @TAB & "$oError.scriptline is: " & @TAB & $oError.scriptline & @CRLF & _
            @TAB & "$oError.retcode is: " & @TAB & "0x" & Hex($oError.retcode) & @CRLF & @CRLF
    ClipPut($sErrorDescription)
    MsgBox($MB_ICONERROR, 'COM Error', $sErrorDescription)
EndFunc   ;==>_ErrFunc

EDIT:
I'm curious whether you will see an error.
If so, paste the message here ( message should be automaticaly saved to clipboard).

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

@mLipok,

no COM error.

i added some logging to your function, like this:

_Log('$oShedulerService = ' & ObjName($oShedulerService))

_Log('$oRootFolder = ' & ObjName($oRootFolder))

_Log('$oTasks_coll = ' & ObjName($oTasks_coll))
    _Log('$oTasks_coll.Count = ' & $oTasks_coll.Count)

_Log('@AutoItPID = ' & @AutoItPID)
        _Log('task name = ' & $oRegisteredTask_enum.Name & ' ; task state = ' & $oRegisteredTask_enum.State & ' ; task PID = ' & _TaskScheduler_GetRunningTaskPid($oRegisteredTask_enum.Name))
        If $oRegisteredTask_enum.State = 4 And @AutoItPID = _TaskScheduler_GetRunningTaskPid($oRegisteredTask_enum.Name) Then
            Return True
        EndIf
    Next

_Log('no match')
    Return False

where _Log() is simply a call to FileWriteLine() with a prefixed file name.

the result (log stripped of the other tasks it found) - the mismatch highlight in red:

$oShedulerService = ITaskService
$oRootFolder = ITaskFolder
$oTasks_coll = IRegisteredTaskCollection
$oTasks_coll.Count = 6
@AutoItPID = 1408
task name = au3@task ; task state = 4 ; task PID = 5204
no match

the PID of the script and the PID of the task are different. in Process Explorer i can see why:

au3@task.png

it seems the query returns the PID of the engine (taskeng.exe) running the script, not of the script.

any thoughts?

Spoiler

UDF:

Apps:

@mLipok the error is that in Windows 7 $oRunningTask_enum.EnginePID returns the PID of the parent. In windows 10 returns the Task PID.

@orbs You right in windows 7 is diferent (I wrote the code in Windows 10. Its diferent) Here is an Updated code that works in Window 7 and Windows 10

If _IsStartedByScheduler() Then MsgBox($MB_ICONINFORMATION, 'ATTENTION', 'This program is run from TASK SCHEDULER "Schedule.service"')

Return StringRegExp(_WinAPI_GetProcessName($iPID1),"taskeng|svchost") and StringRegExp(_WinAPI_GetProcessName($iPID2),"svchost|services")

Saludos

Edited by Danyfirex

ah, yet another one of Windows 10 "improvements"! :'(

so this means that whichever method we work with the Task Scheduler should be thoroughly tested on every version, edition, update and architecture of Windows.

that's just great.

Spoiler

UDF:

Apps:

19 minutes ago, orbs said:

that's just great.

After all it is normal testing procedure, check your program on all target systems.

Signature beginning:

Spoiler