IE automation

Juvigy

Hi Guys,

I have a very complex IE page with lots of Java and Iframes. I need to be able to look for a change in one <input> field. So what i have done is to identify the field and hook an event listener with ObjEvent($title, "_Evt_")  and then i use :

Func _Evt_OnChange()
    Local $o_object = @COM_EventObj
    ConsoleWrite( "Change" & $o_object.value  &@CRLF)
    _FileWriteLine($MainLog, "Change:" & _NOW())
    TitleCheck($o_object.value)
EndFunc

Which work fine user doesn't interact with some of the other buttons or radios on the page. As soon as the user does some interaction or refreshes the page or navigates - the event listener is 'deleted' somehow and no longer works. Any idea how to counteract that? The easiest this is to detect if there is ANY change on the page - then i can identify the INPUT and check for its value. Any idea how to do that ?

ObjEvent($title, "_Evt_")

What is $title ? How you declare this variable ?

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

$title is an <input> object. I get to it with getElementsByTagName ("input").  Everything works when i first start the script. However if i change the value of another <input> element using the mouse - the event listener stops working ! Which forces me to add event listeners to all inputs fields which makes the script restart which is a lot of work and not very consistent. There has to be easier and more elegant way!

Try with $oIE 

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

hm...

here is modyfied version:

; Trap COM errors so that 'Back' and 'Forward'
; outside of history bounds does not abort script
; (expect COM errors to be sent to the console)

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <IE.au3>
#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>

_Example()
Func _Example()
    Local $oIE = _IECreate("www.google.com")

Local $oBody = _IETagNameGetCollection($oIE, "body", 0)
    Local $oTags_coll = _IETagNameGetCollection($oBody, 'input')
    Local $aEvents[1]
    Local $i = 0
    For $oTag_enum In $oTags_coll
        $aEvents[$i] = ObjEvent($oTag_enum, "_IEEvent_")
        If @error Then ConsoleWrite('! ---> @error=' & @error & '  @extended=' & @extended & ' : ObjEvent' & @CRLF)
        $i += 1
        ConsoleWrite("> $i=" & $i & @CRLF)
        ReDim $aEvents[$i + 1]
    Next
    ConsoleWrite("! Ubound=" & UBound($aEvents) & @CRLF)

;~  Local $oIEEvents = ObjEvent($oIE, "_IEEvent_", "DWebBrowserEvents2")
EndFunc   ;==>_Example

; Waiting for user to stop script manually
While Sleep(100)
WEnd

Func _IEEvent_OnChange()
    Local $oCOM_EventObj = @COM_EventObj
    ConsoleWrite("Change: " & $oCOM_EventObj.value & @CRLF)
EndFunc   ;==>_IEEvent_OnChange

Func _IEEvent_onmouseover()
    Local $oCOM_EventObj = @COM_EventObj
    ConsoleWrite($oCOM_EventObj.tagname & " : " & $oCOM_EventObj.id & @LF)
EndFunc   ;==>_IEEvent_onmouseover

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

Basically I do the same thing. The problem is that if i do some changes with the mouse - the events are lost.

For example i have 2 dropdown input boxes and 1 label. I want to monitor the value of the label. I set event on the label monitoring change. And if i change value on the label at this point - everything is ok and works. But if i use the drop down - after that the listening event on the label stops working. So i need to set events on all drop downs and setup events to restart the script if a drop down is used to reattach listening event on the label. Problem is there are soo many dropdowns and not only dropdowns but other elements and some special conditions that make scripting that a lot of work. Isn't there a better way?
 Something like :

Local $oIE = _IECreate("www.google.com")
 $event = ObjEvent($oIE, "_Evt_")

Func _Evt_OnChange()
    'check label value
    'if value is changed display msg
 Endfunc

@Chimp Thanks for the link I was searching for the following example.....

@Juvigy I think you would like to use @trancexx  example from post #16

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

I tried it , but it doesnt work. I get a lot of errors due to old autoit version.
 Events are fired , but

Func Event_onclick($oEvtObj)
    If IsObj($oEvtObj) Then
        ConsoleWrite("onclick = " & $oEvtObj & @CRLF)
        ;ConsoleWrite("id = " & $oEvtObj.srcElement & " fired onclick" & @CRLF)
        If $oEvtObj = $oIE.document.getElementById("idButton") Then
            $oIE.Quit()
            Exit
        EndIf
    EndIf
EndFunc

the commented line gives me "The requested action with this object has failed.:"

Also i don't see anything that would help me here.  What am i missing?

@Chimp

@mLipok

I almost managed to do it. Now i use Browser_DocumentComplete event which inside contain $event = ObjEvent($title, "_Evt_").

The problem is that Browser_DocumentComplete event  fires twice which in turn attaches 2 events on $title which in turn fires 2 "Onchange" events.

How can i make it to be just one ?

16 hours ago, Juvigy said:

I almost managed to do it. Now i use Browser_DocumentComplete event which inside contain $event = ObjEvent($title, "_Evt_").

can you post what's your script so far...

The problem is that Browser_DocumentComplete event  fires twice which in turn attaches 2 events on $title which in turn fires 2 "Onchange" events.

is your script refreshing the web page, or it changes something in the page layout, within the "Browser_DocumentComplete" function?? if so this could trigger the 'Browser_DocumentComplete' event function twice...(just a wild guess)

... in the 'COM reference' of the AutoIt help, within the example of the "COM events" session, I see that them makes use of this method:

$oEventObject.stop ; Tell IE we want to stop receiving Events

maybe you could use this method to temporary 'pause' the events during page refresh or updates so to avoid unwanted event firing..?? (a wild guess again)

... posting a working reproducer of your script could be of help to help...

image.jpeg.9f1a974c98e9f77d824b358729b089b0.jpeg Chimp

small minds discuss people average minds discuss events great minds discuss ideas.... and use AutoIt....

4 hours ago, Chimp said:

... in the 'COM reference' of the AutoIt help, within the example of the "COM events" session, I see that them makes use of this method:

$oEventObject.stop ; Tell IE we want to stop receiving Events

This seems interesting - i will see if i can use that. So basically the documentcomplete event fires twice , because i have 2 frames. It fires for each frame.

Here is my code:

Func Browser_DocumentComplete($oDisp, $sUrl)
    ConsoleWrite("DocumentComplete:"&$oDisp.ReadyState &@CRLF)
    $event = ObjEvent($title, "_Evt_") ; title is an input object
EndFunc

I think i can use  $oDisp to identify which frame fired the event , but i cant find how - cant seem to find the methods of that object in the IE documentation. For example $oDisp.Name works , but $oDisp.SomethingElseICanUse doesnt.

Another Q - how can i see that there is already an active event handler attached to an object? For example to modify above like this so i can have only 1 title event:

Func Browser_DocumentComplete($oDisp, $sUrl)
    ConsoleWrite("DocumentComplete:"&$oDisp.ReadyState &@CRLF)
    If IsEvent($event) then return 1
    $event = ObjEvent($title, "_Evt_") ; title is an input object
EndFunc

@edit I managed to do it using If $oDisp.LocationName <> "Some location"  then    ContinueLoop - thus event is added only once.

Now i face another issue - clicking an calendar control on the page 'deletes' all my events. This is the java code that i think does that:

javascript:tpzOnFocus('X100');openCalendar(document.topaz, document.topaz.X100);

Now i am wondering what to do now ?

Edited by Juvigy
cracked it

So i tested a bit more and there are few things from the helpfile that are not working for me:

$EventObject.stop            ; Tell IE we want to stop receiving Events
$EventObject=0               ; Kill the Event Object

If you don't know (for some reason) the names of the events, you can add a UDF with only the prefix. In this example: Func IEEvent_($Eventname).
When an event is received and no IEEvent_ Eventname UDF exists, this function will be called instead and the name of the event will be placed in the variable $Eventname.

All this is not working for me. Reproducer on the last part can be found here :