AutoIt won't start "regedit"

Hello again!

So, after many failed attempts to set some registry permissions, I decided to send key strokes to set the permissions. But... my script isn't starting regedit! In the code below, when I press F5 to run, it don't run regedit, and send the keys to SCITE window! Another strange thing: the script isn't waiting regedit to close, is finishing it self just after send the keys! What is wrong?

RunWait("regedit.exe")
    Sleep(3000)
    Send("{LEFT 10}")
    Send("{RIGHT}")
    Send("{H 3}")
    Send("{RIGHT}")
    Send("{S}{O}{F}{T}")

Note: this is not the entire script, is only the part related with regedit

2 minutes ago, AutoBert said:

Runwait waits for finishing RegEdit, after the send's are done. But this is no good method to do this. I suggest use the native AutoIt functions Reg* (RegRead,RegWrite etc.)

Yep. I realized WinWait pause the script (noob detected!), then continue after regedit is closed. So, my script is now:

Run("regedit.exe","",@SW_MAXIMIZE)
WinWait("[CLASS:RegEdit_RegEdit]")
WinActivate("[CLASS:RegEdit_RegEdit]")
Send("{LEFT 10}")
Send("{RIGHT}")

And so on. The objective is get permissions in some keys to disable Windows Defender. I tried some methods with regdacl and others, without success, so I'll try to simulate the keys and clicks to do so. AutoIt native commands can't write on these keys without permissions given.

15 minutes ago, IanN1990 said:

Out of interest, Why are you trying to disable window defender?

It's a piece of s***. For me, the worse antivirus in the world still best than windows defender.

I know a way to remove it using Hiren's Boot CD (just delete the folders and various registry keys), but I want to try disable it inside Windows itself.

• Moderators

If you are attempting to legitimately replace Windows Defender on a machine to which you are entitled, there are plenty of MS-approved ways of doing so:

http://slashgenie.com/permanently-disable-windows-defender-in-windows-10/

Why are you trying to dig it out of the registry instead of doing it the correct way?

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

2 hours ago, JLogan3o13 said:

If you are attempting to legitimately replace Windows Defender on a machine to which you are entitled, there are plenty of MS-approved ways of doing so:

http://slashgenie.com/permanently-disable-windows-defender-in-windows-10/

Why are you trying to dig it out of the registry instead of doing it the correct way?

Thanks, I already know this method. The problem with this is Windows Defender on Windows 10. Even if you disable it like that, the service and files still remains in memory. Even if you have another security program installed (which supposedly would have to disable Windows Defender), there some process running all time.

So, if I  gain access to some registry keys, I can disable Windows Defender completely, also disabling the service (the controls to disable it in services.msc are disabled by default), and even delete the Windows Defender folder and files related if I want.

Another reasons: I simply don't like Windows Defender. The detection mechanism is very poor, also. So, is useless for me (and for a lot of people, if you search you will see).

As I sayed, I know how to eliminate it completely, but I don't want to use Hirens all time I have to do this. I want a way to do inside Windows!

At time: There is a program called "NoDefender". This program not work on newer versions of Windows.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello romulocarlos,

On my Windows 7 pc the "Run" command works fine.

However, on my Windows 10 pc I had to replace the "Run" command with "ShellExecute"

Give that a try.

taurus905

"Never mistake kindness for weakness."-- Author Unknown --"The highest point to which a weak but experienced mind can rise is detecting the weakness of better men."-- Georg Lichtenberg --Simple Obfuscator (Beta not needed.), Random names for Vars and Funcs