Is there a GUICtrlGetColor function?

quickbeam

I have a status line in my GUI that has various messages, but has green text when things are good and red otherwise.  I was hoping to avoid keeping another state variable around and just read back the color when I need to know the status.  AutoIT internally must know the color of what you set it to, but there doesn't seem to be a way to get to it?

I saw this thread, but that's about the background color, and is definitely a long way to get there:

Is there an easy solution, or should I just bite the bullet and add a line to update a new state variable every place the status is updated?

Thanks

What in your script dictates/sets the color of the text?  What kind of control is it (label)?

Are you able to post a reproducer/demo script?

edit: Without testing, this seems plausible  Couldn't get this to work.  

#include <WinAPI.au3>
#include <WinAPIGdi.au3>

Func GUICtrlGetTextColor($hWnd)
    If Not IsHWnd($hWnd) Then
        $hWnd = GUICtrlGetHandle($hWnd)
    EndIf
    Local $hDC = _WinAPI_GetDC($hWnd)
    Local $iColor = _WinAPI_GetTextColor($hDC)
    _WinAPI_ReleaseDC($hWnd, $hDC)
    Return $iColor
EndFunc

Found another example on the forum, but it's also a bit complicated (requires registermsg) and I get get that one to work either... :blink:

Edited by spudw2k

Sorry.   I was just using GuiCtrlSetColor() to set the color on a label, then hoping for an easy way to retrieve it later.

I see GUICtrlGetHandle, but I'm not sure what you can do with a handle.  (I'm kind of new to the whole AutoIT world - I'm using it as an easy tool to test out my embedded program on a USB device, and definitely not a Windows expert).

Too bad that example didn't work, it looks promising.

Yea, drag.  So I'm not sure where to go from here in regards to retrieving the control color.  If it were me I'd just track the state/value/what-have-you when you apply the color in a global variable.  Seems just as effective to me...but I'm probably not seeing the entire picture here.

You're right, tracking the state is the easiest solution.  It's no deal-breaker, I can keep going. 

I'm just not that familiar with the language yet, so I assumed if you can set something, there exists a complementary function to get that value.  That does not seem to be the case.  I know when I write Python code, it looks like a C programmer wrote it.  I'm trying to avoid that here.