How to restrict inputboxes to specific characters only?

GeorgeB

I'm having trouble in making an input box where I can limit the characters that can be inputted.  Anybody have an idea how this can be done in Auto IT?

Specifically I would like to create an input field where the user would enter a MAC address.  What I would like to do is to limit the characters that can be inputted to only HEX values (A-F and 0-9 as well as the - character).  This is so that the user cannot input invalid characters. The program is going to be used by very non-technical people, so the idea is to remove as many chances for errors that we can think of.  I would also prefer to limit the field to only 17 characters, so that there is only enough space to enter the MAC address with the - character as the separator.

Thank you all in advance for any suggestions!

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

This should work to do it dynamically  :)

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>
#include <EditConstants.au3>

Opt("GUIOnEventMode", 1)

$hGUI = GUICreate("Test", 232, 90)
$Label = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Enter MAC address", 22, 8, 163, 17)
$input = GUICtrlCreateInput("", 22, 30, 165, 24)
GUICtrlSetLimit(-1, 17)
GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 12)
GUISetState()

GUIRegisterMsg($WM_COMMAND, '_WM_COMMAND')
GUISetOnEvent($GUI_EVENT_CLOSE, "_Exit")

While 1
  Sleep(10)
WEnd

Func _WM_COMMAND($hWnd, $Msg, $wParam, $lParam)
 Local $id = BitAND($wParam, 0x0000FFFF)
 Local $code = BitShift($wParam, 16)
   If $id = $input AND $code = $EN_UPDATE Then
       Local $content = GUICtrlRead($input)
       Local $len = StringLen($content)
       Local $char = StringRight($content, 1)
       Local $mod = Mod($len, 3)
       If not (( ($mod = 1 or $mod = 2) and StringRegExp($char, '[[:xdigit:]]') ) OR _ 
           ($mod = 0 and $char = "-")) Then GUICtrlSetData($input, StringTrimRight($content, 1)) 
    EndIf
    Return $GUI_RUNDEFMSG
EndFunc

Func _Exit()
    Exit
EndFunc

A slight optional addition for a better look  :D

;....

($mod = 0 and $char = "-")) Then 
       GUICtrlSetData($input, StringTrimRight($content, 1)) 
   Else
       GUICtrlSetData($input, StringUpper($content))
   EndIf

Mikell,

I'm not sure what I am missing, but when I paste in your additional code, it errors out. (the original one works great!)

By the way, excuse my ignorance, but where in the code does it specifically state that only a-f and 0-9 and - are allowed?  I'm trying to figure this out, because your code is very useful, and I could see myself using it for other projects as well, where I would want to limit what characters can be inputted.  Seeing as how in other projects I might want to limit the input to a different set of characters, I would like to know how to change it.

When you create an input box you can set the length of characters, digits only, Uppercase, Center like this.

GUICtrlCreateInput Style Options

$ES_NUMBER        ==  Accepts only digits [0-9]
$ES_UPPERCASE   ==  Converts all characters to uppercase
$ES_LOWERCASE  ==  Converts all characters to lowercase
$ES_CENTER          ==  Centers text

GUICtrlSetLimit ( controlID, max , OPTIONAL min )  == so you can set a max and min character length for an input control

$UserInput = GUICtrlCreateInput("", 120, 292, 161, 21, BitOR($GUI_SS_DEFAULT_INPUT, $ES_CENTER,$ES_NUMBER))
  GUICtrlSetLimit($UserInput, 10) ; Limit User Input to 10 Characters, can also just use -1 instead of variable of input box if this line is directly under like here

Edited by iAmNewbe

iAmNewbe,

Thanks! that worked great!  I see that the additional code that mikell sent me was to make the MAC address always appear as uppercase, no matter how it was typed, but thanks to the style options you showed me for GUICtrlCreateInputStyle, I simply added the "$ES_UPPERCASE" style command and it now displays the MAC address always in upper case, no matter how it is typed.

There are more options but the rest are mainly display of the box itself those I put above are the most useful. You can also use RegEx as MuffinMan shows for more involved things but if all you want is to limit to digits only that is built in using that style option.  The manual is an important read, I think over the last two weeks I went through it like a 100 times.  

10 hours ago, GeorgeB said:

where in the code does it specifically state that only a-f and 0-9 and - are allowed?

Sorry for the lack of explanations  :>

In fact the code actually forbids the last character written if not Hex or '-' depending on the length of the string
Here it is, detailed

Local $content = GUICtrlRead($input)
; get the string length
Local $len = StringLen($content)   
; get the last character entered
Local $char = StringRight($content, 1)  
; Mod returns 1 if length=1, 2 if length=2, 0 if length=3, 1 if length=4, etc
Local $mod = Mod($len, 3) 

; if NOT ( Mod = 1 or 2 AND the last char is hexadecimal, or Mod = 0 AND the last char is '-' )
           ($mod = 0 and $char = "-")) Then 
; then remove the last char and write to the input
       GUICtrlSetData($input, StringTrimRight($content, 1)) 

; i.e. if the last character written is in 5th position, then string length = 5, Mod = 2, so this char must be hexa. If it is not then it will not be written
; and so on

:)

Edited by mikell

I was working on this a while back, wanted to make it a UDF but never put the time to write it to standards.

I used it for quite a few things however.

#include <EditConstants.au3>
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <StaticConstants.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>

$Form1 = GUICreate("Test GUI", 618, 276, 192, 124)
$Label1 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Test GUI", 168, 24, 47, 17)
$Button1 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Toggle Validation", 290, 24, 110, 40)
$Input1 = GUICtrlCreateInput("Max 10 Characters", 40, 72, 553, 21)
$Input2 = GUICtrlCreateInput("Numb3rs 0nly", 40, 97, 553, 21)
$Edit1 = GUICtrlCreateEdit("Max 10 Chars Numbers Only + Auto Line Break", 40, 120, 553, 105)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)

$iToggle = 1

While 1
 Sleep(10)
 If Mod($iToggle, 2) = 0 Then
;Example 1 Limit to 10 Characters
 _GUIRegExValidate($Input1, "(.{10})(.)", "$1")
;Example 2 Can only type numbers
 _GUIRegExValidate($Input2, "[^\d]", "")
;Example 3 Combind More Than One On Same Input limit to 10 characters, limit to numbers only, line break @ 10 characters to new line
 _GUIRegExValidate($Edit1, "(.{10})(.)", "$1" & @CRLF)
 _GUIRegExValidate($Edit1, "[^\d\r\n]", "")
 EndIf
    $nMsg = GUIGetMsg()
    Switch $nMsg
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            Exit
        Case $Button1
            $iToggle = $iToggle + 1
    EndSwitch
WEnd

Func _GUIRegExValidate($sInputLabel, $sRegExCapture, $sRegExReplace)
    $Step1Read = GUICtrlRead($sInputLabel)
    $Step2Validate = StringRegExpReplace($Step1Read, $sRegExCapture, $sRegExReplace)
    If @Extended = 0 Then Return
    GUICtrlSetData($sInputLabel, $Step2Validate)
EndFunc

_GUIRegExValidate($Edit1, "(.{20})(.)", "$1")
EndFunc