Excel Tutorial

Masum

Hi all,

I've started using AutoIt 2 days ago, and the last time I programmed was in Java 9 years ago at university!

I need to create some records on a remote application using data from a local excel file.

Is there any basic tutorials out there to learning how AutoIt interacts with Excel?

What I need to do is first look down Column I to find the next empty cell. When found, I need to save the corresponding data from that row, i.e. from Columns A, B, E, F, G into separate variables, maybe use an array? I will then go to the appropriate fields in the remote application and utilise the data captured. This process will be repeated for each next empty cell in Column I until a cell in that Column reads Finished.

I also noticed none of the control commands work within applications run remotely, in my scenario through Citrix. Is there a workaround?

I will appreciate example scripts or any pointers.

A potential working script will be a life saver, as I need to create 900 records!

Thanks

Welcome to AutoIt and the forum!

AutoIt comes with an Excel UDF. Every function is describd in the help file with fully working examples.
Further details can be found in the wiki.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Thanks, I've started using it, and with the help of examples from the help files, I've managed to start doing what I need, although maybe not by the most efficient of ways!

My RDP issue remains.

I hate using mouse clicks to automate, as this is open to any number of issues as there is no way of telling what state a certain control function is before changing it. Hence is there any way I can use Control commands on applications run through a Citrix connection? Right now, the Finder Tool doesn't even pick up the overall window of the remote application!

The summary info returned from the Finder Tool is as follows.

>>>> Window <<<<
Title:    Inbox Config Tool - \\Remote
Class:    Transparent Windows Client
Position:    -8, -8
Size:    1382, 744
Style:    0x960F0000
ExStyle:    0x00000104
Handle:    0x00080982

>>>> Control <<<<
Class:    
Instance:    
ClassnameNN:    
Name:    
Advanced (Class):    
ID:    
Text:

The only way to automate Excel on another machine is to run the AutoIt script on this machine.
Or, if you just want to modify a workbook located on the other machine, get access to this workbook by using a share.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

I'm trying to automate a config tool (not Excel) via a remote session accessed through Citrix.

Sorry what do you mean by using a share?

It's not possible to run the script on the hosted machine.

Am I out of luck?

Edited by Masum
Grammar