shiftdown + mousewheel down not working

Hello, new user here. I've searched the forums but could not find a similar post. In the Firefox browser, if you've surfed several web addresses in the same tab, you could go to a previous webpage by holding down the shift key + scrolling down with the mouse wheel button to jump to a previous page. You could then, jump back to the next page by holding down the shift key + scrolling up with the mouse wheel button. I've tried setting a hotkey to do this with no luck. I'm currently on a Vista 64bit PC.

HotKeySet("!a","Test")

While 1
    Sleep(100)
WEnd

Func Test()
    Send("{SHIFTDOWN}")
    MouseWheel("down",1)
    Send("{SHIFTUP}")
EndFunc

Can anyone confirm shiftdown + mousewheel down doesn't work?

Hello and welcome.

I would suggest that you don't use shift in your hotkey and then again in the function that is called by the hotkey - or perhaps add a sleep beforehand in the Test function.  

What do you mean by "no luck" what is happening exactly?

You may also want to add some debugging to capture the results of each and write them to the console.  Have you tried in different programs with different scrollable windows to try and see what is working / not?  

Build your own poker game with AutoIt: pokerlogic.au3 | Learn To Program Using FREE Tools with AutoIt

• Moderators

While I hate using Send on anything, Firefox is a notorious butt to automate. This, however, works just fine for me navigating back and forth between pages, and does not require the mouse wheel:

WinActivate("[CLASS:MozillaWindowClass]", "")
Sleep(1000)
Send("!{LEFT}")
Sleep(1000)
Send("!{RIGHT}")

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

@Jfish

I'm not using the shift key when I'm registering a hotkey. I know Windows reserves the shift key for many of its programs. In the example code I registered "!a" alt + a to simulate the keys : shift + mouse-wheel scroll down, and by "no luck" I meant that it did not work in Firefox i.e., I coulnd't jump back to a previously visited page. I don't understand how a sleep command in the Test() function might solve this issue.

@JLogan3o13

Thanks for the solution. You are absolutely right! Firefox is the culprit here. This code works flawlessly in Internet Explorer (which also allows you to jump to previous webpages using the shift + mouse-wheel scroll shortcut :

HotKeySet("!a","Test")

While 1
    Sleep(100)
WEnd

Func Test()
    Send("{SHIFTDOWN}")
    MouseWheel("down",1)
    Send("{SHIFTUP}")
EndFunc

This works for both Firefox and IE :

HotKeySet("!a","Test")

While 1
    Sleep(100)
WEnd

Func Test() ;resize / scale down webpage
    Send("{CTRLDOWN}")
    MouseWheel("down",1)
    Send("{CTRLUP}")
EndFunc

Thanks for all the help.

Don't want to bump a solved topic but couldn't edit my previous reply. Thought other members might find this useful, it seems Jfish was right about needing to add a Sleep(x) command. This code actually works in Firefox (might also work on other apps if your problem is similar) :

HotKeySet("!a","Test")

While 1
    Sleep(100)
WEnd

Func Test()
    Sleep(100)
    Send("{SHIFTDOWN}")
    Sleep(100)
    MouseWheel("up",1)
    Sleep(100)
    Send("{SHIFTUP}")
EndFunc

So bizarre!

@ JLogan

I know I should not rely on simulating the mousewheel but there might be other applications that rely solely on a mousewheel shortcut with no keyboard equivalent.