Can InetRead handle extended characters or UTF8 characters?

leuce

Hello everyone

I'm using InetRead to send queries to a Google API, and from the results it appears that characters like ë, ö, á, ê etc are silently dropped from the URL when it is sent to Google.  So if I paste the URL https://www.googleapis.com/language/translate/v2?key=APIKEY&source=af&target=en&pasiënt in my browser, then I get the correct response (i.e. the translation of "pasiënt").  But if I use InetRead to send the URL, then the response that I get from Google makes me think that "pasint" was sent.

So... can InetRead handle characters like ë, ö, á, ê etc?  If not, is there a way to make it?

On the same note, can InetRead handle URLs with, say, Arabic or Cyrillic characters in it?

Thanks

Samuel

PS. I attach the actual script here in case anyone wants to see it.

simplegoog v5 ###.au3

Edited by leuce

I think your web browser is implicitly converting the unicode character to the proper escaped character that can be queried. When you google search ë it's converted to %C3%AB. (Copy the url from your browser and into notepad, your browser converts it back to unicode for your view, but the copied url will be the %C3%AB)

Idk what C3 is, try googling how to work with unicode characters in the google api.

Thanks, I was already halfway to a solution but was missing one small piece of the puzzle, which you provided by telling me that ë is %C3%AB (UTF8) instead of %FD%FF (UTF16LE).  Now my little script also works with Arabic, Russian, etc.

Updated script attached.

simplegoog v5 ###.au3

Edited by leuce