SQL Query Manipulation

Hello! I'm fairly new to using Autoit, I like the language and simplicity, however, there is a bit of a learning curve for me. I'm stuck and need some community help!

I need to manipulate a query by using GUICtrlCreateDate to select the correct date and pipe the selected date into my actual query in a specific format (yyyymmdd).

Here is an example:

_Flag_RecordsetDisplay($sConnectionString, "select * from trips_to_complete_20161122 where trip_type in ('P','C') and trip_status in ('S','PC','DC') and Flagged = 1")

Func _Flag_RecordsetDisplay($sConnectionString, $sQUERY)

; Create connection object
    Local $oConnection = _ADO_Connection_Create()

; Open connection with $sConnectionString
    _ADO_Connection_OpenConString($oConnection, $sConnectionString)
    If @error Then Return SetError(@error, @extended, $ADO_RET_FAILURE)

; Executing some query directly to Array of Arrays (instead to $oRecordset)
    Local $aRecordset = _ADO_Execute($oConnection, $sQUERY, True)

; Clean Up
    _ADO_Connection_Close($oConnection)
    $oConnection = Null

; Display Array Content with column names as headers
    _ADO_Recordset_Display($aRecordset, 'Recordset content')

EndFunc    ;==>_Flag_RecordsetDisplay

The part of the query that needs modified is "trips_to_complete_20161122" I need to be able to select a date (via the gui) and that selection pipe into my query.  

Thanks in Advanced!

Edited by S0lidFr0st

I have two helper functions:

sqldate2gui()

guidate2sql()

which convert.  Probably a design flaw on my side. Should just have used SQL friendly ISO dates in the GUI... See DTP to do that: 

https://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/docs/libfunctions/_GUICtrlDTP_Create.htm

The bad news is, there is no quick fix. You will need to put in some extra lines of code to get it to work the way you want.

Sorry.

-Skysnake

Skysnake

Why is the snake in the sky?

Just now, Skysnake said:

The bad news is, there is no quick fix. You will need to put in some extra lines of code to get it to work the way you want.

Sorry.

-Skysnake

Hey! Thanks for the reply! No need to apologize! I can work with extra code. This is a learning experience for me anyway, and if I can pull it off, will save me hours worth of time!

Ahem, sorry to ask, but is the date part of the table name?

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

From help file example for GUICtrlCreateDate:

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>

Example()

Func Example()
    GUICreate("My GUI get date", 200, 200, 800, 200)
    Local $idDate = GUICtrlCreateDate("1953/04/25", 10, 10, 185, 20)
    GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)

; Loop until the user exits.
    While 1
        Switch GUIGetMsg()
            Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
                ExitLoop

EndSwitch
    WEnd

MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Date", GUICtrlRead($idDate))
    GUIDelete()
EndFunc   ;==>Example

As I understand the main question is how to convert result from GUICtrlRead($idDate) to YYYYMMDD .

Remark:  GUICtrlRead for Date control as a return value give you :  The selected date in the format defined by the regional settings .

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

@S0lidFr0st

I say because it's always (like 99.999% of the times) a bad idea to mix data and schema names.

To illustrate imagine you create a daily table of <something>. You end up filling your database with a large number of distinct tables storing information having the exact same semantics. Now say your duty is to exhibit rows matching some criterion and having occured in the last 7 days. Your query will look like this:

select <list of columns> from Something_2016-11-16 where <criterion>
union all
select <list of columns> from Something_2016-11-17 where <criterion>
union all
select <list of columns> from Something_2016-11-18 where <criterion>
union all
select <list of columns> from Something_2016-11-19 where <criterion>
union all
select <list of columns> from Something_2016-11-20 where <criterion>
union all
select <list of columns> from Something_2016-11-21 where <criterion>
union all
select <list of columns> from Something_2016-11-22 where <criterion>
order by ... Geez, you're stuck here: no good criterion order! (remember SQL tables are like maths sets, orderless)

Compare with this, where the ISO date is part of the table:

select <list of columns>
from Something
where <criterion> and theDate between date('now', '-6 days') and date('now')
order by theDate

Which do you find more practical and should be more efficient?

EDIT: typing too fast, there should be double quotes or the delimiters your engine requires around the weird table names, e.g. "Something_2016-11-16" else SQL will treat - as substraction (my bad).

Edited by jchd
Delimiters omitted

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

20 hours ago, jchd said:

Ahem, sorry to ask, but is the date part of the table name?

Unfortunately, yes. The way this system works is every day the previous day (table) is archived and a new table is generated for the 31st day. So on each day I have 31 tables ranging from the current date to 31 days out. I only need to work with present day data.

I would fire the guy who set this up.