Upgrade 32bit to 64bit win8.1 and 10 PROBLEM

Champak

Took forever, but I finally did it. Now I have a few problems. First thing is Run wont start the program, but I'm getting a PID result. The entire folder structure and code is the same after the upgrade.

If Not ProcessExists("INM DB Meter.exe") Then
    $rr = Run(@ScriptDir & "\Extend\INM DB Meter.exe")
    If @error Then
        MsgBox(0,0,$rr)
    Else
        MsgBox(0,1,$rr)
    EndIf

EndIf

Edited by Champak

This is not related to 64-bit or 32-bit at all. Run ONLY returns the PID or 0 if there was an error.. Silly me >_<.

It is not AutoIt's fault. INM DB Meter.exe is exiting immediately after launching, it might be the switch from 32 to 64 bit. Have you tried launching the program manually? Does it work that way?

Edited by TheDcoder

EasyCodeIt - A cross-platform AutoIt implementation - Fund the development! (GitHub will double your donations for a limited time)

DcodingTheWeb Forum - Follow for updates and Join for discussion

Just now, InunoTaishou said:

want to see but 8 is absolute garbage.

I have been using Windows 8(.1) for a long time and I do not have any issues what so ever ;).

EasyCodeIt - A cross-platform AutoIt implementation - Fund the development! (GitHub will double your donations for a limited time)

Hmm.... Did you check if the launched program is running in the background? You can use ProcessExists to do this.

Try this code:

If Not ProcessExists("INM DB Meter.exe") Then
    $rr = Run(@ScriptDir & "\Extend\INM DB Meter.exe", @ScriptDir & "\Extend, @SW_SHOW")
    If @error Then
        MsgBox(0,0,$rr)
    Else
        MsgBox(0,1,$rr)
    EndIf
EndIf

Edited by TheDcoder
Forgot to terminate a string

errr... I hope you have corrected my code before testing :sweating:. I forgot to insert the final quote to close the string.

I know where it's stopping, it's not launching the program. And it seems to be other files as well. Here's what I just found out and I dont know how to fix it. I put the program in a external hard drive and linked to it with the full path and it launched with no issue. I put it back in the original folder and put the full path and again it still wont launch. The original path is a folder on the desktop.

and yes, I put the quote in at the end thanks.

2 hours ago, Champak said:

I know where it's stopping, it's not launching the program. And it seems to be other files as well. Here's what I just found out and I dont know how to fix it. I put the program in a external hard drive and linked to it with the full path and it launched with no issue. I put it back in the original folder and put the full path and again it still wont launch. The original path is a folder on the desktop.

and yes, I put the quote in at the end thanks.

Sounds like a possible permissions issue. Perhaps your external is not NTFS (or the permission is not being copied) and your original folder is. When you upgraded the permissions may have messed up on the folder.

Complete and wild guess but try moving things to a different folder on your regular HDD

I fixed the issue. I really don't know how I fixed it. But I started by rolling back my system. Changed how I first initiated the program by running it with admin privilege. I don't know how that helps, because subsequent runs are without admin privilege. I hate gremlins!!

Thanks all.

Edited by Champak

UNBELIEVABLE!!! It happened again!

Step by step on how it happened, maybe someone can see why.

1/ I got a copy of the au3 file of the exact exe I've been running with no issue since I did the role back. I copied it from the old drive to the new one.

2/ Installed AutoIt Scite version

3/ Compiled it because I needed to put a MsgBox in it...no other changes.

4/ Ran the new exe, same thing happened.

5/ Ran the new exe with admin, same thing happened.

So previously all the exe were being launched with no issue, now all of a sudden after compiling a new version, they aren't being launched.