Read and delete Excel Columns

DigDeep

Hi,

I have an excel sheet. and want to delete all the columns except $Column1, $Column2 and $Column3.

The steps I am trying is to Open the excel > read the Cell A1 > If A1 does not read as $Column1, $Column2 and $Column3 then delete them.

This does not work. Looks like I am not able to create a loop.

But if I am trying to delete only the $Column1 as per the below code, it works good.

Can someone please help here to create a loop and delete all the columns except these 3?

#RequireAdmin

#include <Array.au3>
#include <Excel.au3>

Local $result = _Excel_RangeRead($oWorkbook, Default, "A1")
    Local $Column1 = 'Column1'
local $Column2 = 'Column2'
local $Column3 = 'Column3'

;~  While 1
;~      If $result <> $Column1 Or $result <> $Column2 Or $result <> $Column3 Then
If $result <> $Column1 Then
        _Excel_RangeDelete($oWorkbook.ActiveSheet, 'A:A', 2)

EndIf

;~  WEnd

_Excel_Close($oExcel)
EndFunc   ;==>ReadCell

• Moderators

This works for me. You can do it with a series of If statements, but this works well if you decide to take some action if it does equal Column 1, 2, or 3.

#include <Excel.au3>

Local $oExcel = _Excel_Open()
Local $oWorkbook = _Excel_BookOpen($oExcel, @DesktopDir & "\Test.xlsx")
Local $result = _Excel_RangeRead($oWorkbook, Default, "A1")
Local $Column1 = 'Column1'
Local $Column2 = 'Column2'
Local $Column3 = 'Column3'

Switch $result
        Case $Column1, $Column2, $Column3
            ;do nothing
        Case Else
            _Excel_RangeDelete($oWorkbook.ActiveSheet, 'A:A', 2)
    EndSwitch

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

• Moderators

What version of Excel? It works just fine for me with Excel 2013 and 365 (2016).

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

• Moderators

Is your excel file something you can share? With a simple excel file with the following columns:

forum.PNG

the script successfully deletes Column A every time.

I think I missed some parts here... If the Range reads $Column1 it should move to the next column to read it. If the next column does not read $Column2 then it should delete that column.

So, until $Column1 is found, rest columns should keep on deleting. Once $Column1 is found, it will be left out under 'A'. It will then move to read the $Column2 and do the same action.

Therefore, Column 'A' should not be deleted always. My purpose is, except the 3 columns, all the other columns should be deleted.

Basically, steps should be....

1. Read Column A. If Range Read <> $Column1 then delete... loop this until found $Column1.

2. Read Column B. If Range Read <> $Column2 then delete... loop this until found $Column2.

2. Read Column C. If Range Read <> $Column3 then delete... loop this until found $Column3.

Close Excel.

• Moderators

Do you know how many columns there will be, or is it an unknown? Also, are the values you're looking for always going to be in order? By that I mean, will you always find $Column1 before you find $Column2, etc. Or could they appear in any order?

1. As of now the excel I am working on has 26 columns, starting from A-Z. But the columns might increase / decrease in future. That's the reason I wanted to read the column names and decide if should be deleted or to be kept.

2. Also $Column1 will always be first then $Column2 and then $Column3 as in order.