WinSizer (Windows Layout Tool)

zone97

WinSizer  - Size and place the active windows on your desktop.

I had 2 applications to manage window layouts, but one was complicated, and they both required a hot key to activate. So, I cloned the layout of the one I liked that was simple, and made it so that it is automatic. Basically this program lets you pick from a list of open windows and save its position and size, with the option of choosing if you just want to maintain its size, or position or both, and how the program looks for the said window. Feel free to add or change as you like. If you find bugs or have ideas let me know.  Thanks to a function by (johnmcloud) added the ability to call the program from a shortcut as minimized for use in adding to startup.

Instructions!

Click on a window and select "add new". While the settings window is active, you can move and size the target window. The values will automatically update in the settings window. Then save to lock it down. If you open a window after launching winsizer, click refresh to refresh the list of open, visible windows.

Selecting an open window that has already been saved, will overwrite the current saved information.

Edited by zone97
updates 01/05/2017

Spoiler

WinSizer 2.1 (01/04/2017) - Download - [ Windows Layout Manager ]
Folder+Program (12/23/2016) - Download - [ USB Shortcut Creator ]

Updates - 01/02/2017

• Changed Icon, and added disabled icon
  • Ability to temporarily disable the app without closing it.
  • I hid the winsizer from list of active windows.
  • Added about form with credits.

Spoiler

I recently found Winsize2  v2.38.04 at the link below.

http://winsize2.sourceforge.net/en/

Is your WinSizer the same program, and just modified to your liking?

If so, did you begin with the v2.38.04 or is yours derived from an older version?

Reason I ask, is Winsize2 is a great program and it made a world of difference on my Win7 PC for managing the folders & Icons on my desktop. I actually like the feature where you use CTRL+ALT+Z to have it instantly memorize a particular window's size & position without having to deal with anything else. To be honest, I didn't take it any farther than that. I didn't need or want any more complication that that. So I was thinking of modifying the program by simplifying it. My idea is to eliminate all the complicated user options and making it all automatic except for the one option to require or not require use of the.. CTRL+ALT+Z

What I don't understand, if you check out the link above, there's no contact info to the developer for reporting bugs or making comments or sending donations, or anything.  Are we legally allowed to modify the code and redistribute without any limitations?

-pete

Edited by PeteF

9 hours ago, PeteF said:

I recently found Winsize2  v2.38.04 at the link below.

http://winsize2.sourceforge.net/en/

Is your WinSizer the same program, and just modified to your liking?

If so, did you begin with the v2.38.04 or is yours derived from an older version?

Reason I ask, is Winsize2 is a great program and it made a world of difference on my Win7 PC for managing the folders & Icons on my desktop. I actually like the feature where you use CTRL+ALT+Z to have it instantly memorize a particular window's size & position without having to deal with anything else. To be honest, I didn't take it any farther than that. I didn't need or want any more complication that that. So I was thinking of modifying the program by simplifying it. My idea is to eliminate all the complicated user options and making it all automatic except for the one option to require or not require use of the.. CTRL+ALT+Z

What I don't understand, if you check out the link above, there's no contact info to the developer for reporting bugs or making comments or sending donations, or anything.  Are we legally allowed to modify the code and redistribute without any limitations?

-pete

That's true, No I used AutoSizer as a visual template of what I wanted it to look like. His program is nice but will only move and size when a hot key is pressed. I wanted one that would move in real time as soon as the window appears. 

@PeteF It wouldn't be hard to incorporate a hotkey function that would just add the active windows size and location to the monitored list. That way it was hands off so to speak. Might also be a good idea for pasky windows that hide when focus is stolen from them.

Edited by zone97

Spoiler

Updates - 01/04/2017

• Added hotkey (CTRL-ALT-Z) to add the current active windows to list.
  • Cleaned up the tray menu some.
  • Set default action when tray icon is double clicked.
Edited by zone97

Spoiler

6 hours ago, zone97 said:

That's true, No I used AutoSizer as a visual template of what I wanted it to look like. His program is nice but will only move and size when a hot key is pressed. I wanted one that would move in real time as soon as the window appears. 

@PeteF It wouldn't be hard to incorporate a hotkey function that would just add the active windows size and location to the monitored list. That way it was hands off so to speak. Might also be a good idea for pasky windows that hide when focus is stolen from them.

I DL's your AutoSizer program and took a look at the code. I was surprised/impressed that the code was not overly complex. nice job!

Right now I have a few other AutoIt projects in the works, but at a future date I'd like to check out your program and perhaps make some mods. Have you considered memorizing the desktop Icons & positions?

10 minutes ago, PeteF said:

I DL's your AutoSizer program and took a look at the code. I was surprised/impressed that the code was not overly complex. nice job!

Right now I have a few other AutoIt projects in the works, but at a future date I'd like to check out your program and perhaps make some mods. Have you considered memorizing the desktop Icons & positions?

@PeteF Not really, I use a program called Fences to do that.  I provided a link.
              And thank you.

Edited by zone97

Spoiler

Updates - 01/05/2017

• Added the ability to customize the hotkey from the tray menu. (changes are stored in INI file)
  • Spell checking missed.
  • Added credit where due.
  • Code cleanup.
Edited by zone97

Spoiler

Updates - 01/05/2017 (Part 2)

• More code cleanup.
  • Added confirmation on close.
  • Added error handling to prevent certain situations which caused app to respond strangely.
  • Move download to forum download system, so i can get a better understanding of interest.

Spoiler

• 3 years later...