Removing admin account from windows 10 login screen

JohnOne

How can I remove the only admin account in system from login screen, while still being able to do admin tasks with it's password from non admin account?

So I only want it not to be able to be logged into from the login screen, but not disabled.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

• Moderators

Are you looking to make it impossible for someone to log in with the account altogether, or just hide it from the login screen? If the latter, there is a group policy that can do this (if not on Win10 Home):

• Computer Configuration/Windows Settings/Security Settings/Local Policies/Security Options
    • Interactive logon: Do not display last user name

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

That is the best solution yet, cheers. The windows version is home single language so no gpedit, but got it done from registry.

Just a shame that user has to type name as well as password. But I believe it to be only option, at least my searchings have turned up nothing else.

Thanks again JLogan3o13

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Here's how I did it on the computers I deployed for our stores.

Open Regedit, and navigate to “HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList”
    a. Right click “ProfileList” and select New -> Key, and then hit enter to accept the default value of “New Key #1.     This is needed so that the Welcome screen doesn’t show all of the accounts that are set up in Windows and only        shows the last logged in user.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

• Moderators

But if, as J1 states in the OP, he want to run apps with the Administrator's credentials, that hack is not going to work as it buggers the UAC.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

1 hour ago, BrewManNH said:

Here's how I did it on the computers I deployed for our stores.

Open Regedit, and navigate to “HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList”
    a. Right click “ProfileList” and select New -> Key, and then hit enter to accept the default value of “New Key #1.     This is needed so that the Welcome screen doesn’t show all of the accounts that are set up in Windows and only        shows the last logged in user.

Cheers I'll have a pop at that.

1 hour ago, jguinch said:

Hi J1, here is the way I use :

http://www.laxdal.org/node/44

This can cause a lot of difficulty, because a standard user cannot do admin tasks, as the prompt for password has no field to enter it or a confirm button. It essentially renders the system with no usable admin account.

Cheers.

Yes, with the method I gave, you cannot login with the admin account. But the account is not disabled, so you can login as a standard user and use the "Run as different user" to do some admin tasks.
Now you will say : ok, but you cannot RunAs everything with this method  =>  Yes, it's right. But wait, you can keep an AutoIt compiled on the system that you launch  as standard user : this script asks for the admin password, then use it to RunAs the write in the registry for the value to unhide the local admin account from the login screen and logoff. On startup, a scheduled task (configured to run with the system account) hides the admin account from the login screen.
It's far-fetched, complicated, heavy.... for my fun ! :)

1 hour ago, jguinch said:

Yes, with the method I gave, you cannot login with the admin account. But the account is not disabled, so you can login as a standard user and use the "Run as different user" to do some admin tasks.
Now you will say : ok, but you cannot RunAs everything with this method  =>  Yes, it's right. But wait, you can keep an AutoIt compiled on the system that you launch  as standard user : this script asks for the admin password, then use it to RunAs the write in the registry for the value to unhide the local admin account from the login screen and logoff. On startup, a scheduled task (configured to run with the system account) hides the admin account from the login screen.

Indeed, far to much messing around.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, jguinch said:

And the award goes to...:)

There is a command you can run in command prompt to turn off a user account without removing it, I dont know if it will be what you are looking for but you may want to check it out, just run the following.

net user administrator /active:no

you can replace 'administrator' with any user account name as well, and toggle no/yes

• Moderators

@am632 that command disables the account, which is nowhere near what the OP is asking to do.

• 2 months later...