‘Mailto’ with attachment

Hi All,

I have the below code:

ShellExecute("mailto:" & $TheEmailAddress & "?subject=" & $Subject & "&importance=high" & "&body=" & $Message & "&attachment=" & $Attachment, "", @TempDir)

This works fine other than I wish to be able to:

1. Add an attachment (the ‘&attachment=’ does not work)

2. Set the priority (the ‘&priority=’ does not work)

3. Have the body of the text not remove the default signature.
    1. Ideally have the body of the text as a separate template or similar.

I am aware I can use solutions that send the email quietly in the background and I do indeed use these.  But for this purpose I need for the email to be opened so I can make amendments before sending the email if required.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Which mail client do you run?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Then you could use my OutlookEX UDF to do all the things you want (and more) in the background.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

The UDF supports processing in the back- and foreground - as you like.
For example:

#include <OutlookEX.au3>
Global $oItem
Global $oOutlook = _OL_Open()
If @error <> 0 Then Exit MsgBox(16, "OutlookEX UDF", "Error creating a connection to Outlook. @error = " & @error & ", @extended = " & @extended)
; Create the item
$oItem = _OL_ItemCreate($oOutlook, $olMailItem, "*", "", "Subject=TestMail", "BodyFormat=" & $olFormatHTML)
If @error <> 0 Then Exit MsgBox(16, "OutlookEX UDF", "Error creating the mail item. @error = " & @error & ", @extended = " & @extended)
; Add an attachments
$oItem = _OL_ItemAttachmentAdd($oOutlook, $oItem, Default, @ScriptDir & "\The_Outlook.jpg")
If @error <> 0 Then Exit MsgBox(16, "OutlookEX UDF", "Error adding an attachment to the mail item. @error = "  & @error & ", @extended = " & @extended)
; Display the mail item
$oItem.Display

Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Hi Water,

Thank you again - this is working great.

A quick question that may seem obvious but just wanted to seek clarity.

Should I always 'OL_Open)' but only 'OL_close()' if i want to close Outlook?  So should I check if Outlook is open first and then make a choice as to how I use 'OL_close()'?

I seek to never close Outlook but I will need to open it if its not running as I don't want the action to happen in the background.

I read the below but still had a few '???' around my question:

" Remarks: If Outlook was already running when _OL_Open was called you have to use flag $bForceClose to close Outlook. 
  If Outlook was already running when _OL_Open was called @extended is set to 1 to indicate this  "

I hope my question is clear?

Thank you in advance.

1) Outlook has been started by the user before
When you run _OL_Open the UDF attaches to the already running instance and sets @extended = 1 to let you know that Outlloks was started by the user.
When you run _OL_Close parameter $bForceClose set to False then the script detaches from Outlook but Outlooks remains up and running.
When you run _OL_Close parameter $bForceClose set to True then the script detaches from Outlook and forcefully shuts down Outlook as well.

2) Outlook has not been started by the user before
_OL_Open starts Outlook and attaches the script to this newly started instance.
_OL_Close independant of parameter $bForceClose  detaches the script from Outlook and shuts Outlook down.

Conclusion:
Most of the time a simple _OL_Open at the start of your script and _OL_Close at the end is sufficient.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

:) 

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• 3 years later...

Can somebody help me?
I m trying to get an attachement to the script but it gives me always an error. What do I wrong.

This is the script:

#include <OutlookEX.au3>
Global $oOutlook = _OL_Open()
Global $bodyvar = "put body text here"
Global $recipientAddress = "EMAIL"
Global $subjectvar = "subject"
Global $AttachFiles = "C:\Capture.jpeg"
_OL_Wrapper_SendMail($oOutlook, $recipientAddress, "", "", $subjectvar, $AttachFiles, $bodyvar)
If @error <> 0 Then Exit MsgBox(16, "OutlookEX UDF: _OutlookSendMail Wrapper Script", "Error sending mail. @error = " & @error & ", @extended: " & @extended)
MsgBox(64, "OutlookEX UDF: _OutlookSendMail Wrapper Script", "Mail successfully sent to '" & $recipientAddress & "'!")

3 minutes ago, Partyflight said:

but it gives me always an error.

Please provide more detailed information. 

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Water means, what text do you see in the message box that pops up?

"An error" could mean anything from you don't have Outlook installed to you're running an old version of AutoIt to the file not existing. We need specifics to help :)

All my code provided is Public Domain... but it may not work. ;) Use it, change it, break it, whatever you want.

Spoiler

My Humble Contributions:
Personal Function Documentation - A personal HelpFile for your functions
Acro.au3 UDF - Automating Acrobat Pro
ToDo Finder - Find #ToDo: lines in your scripts
UI-SimpleWrappers UDF - Use UI Automation more Simply-er
KeePass UDF - Automate KeePass, a password manager
InputBoxes - Simple Input boxes for various variable types

This means: Output of the SciTE console and @error plus @extended after you call _OL_Wrapper_SendMail.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki