Help and Directions with Outlook Archive and External GUI to Store Big Amount of Mails.

alien4u

Hello to everyone on AutoIt community.

I have some sales representatives on my current job that have more than 10 000 mails on their Outlook email client this is only on their Inbox, and similar amount on their Sent Folder and even more on their Outlook Archive Folder.
The average size of this on disk is like this:
Personal.pst(Inbox.pst) could be between 10GB to 20GB
Archive.pst could be between 5GB to 10GB
Since Outlook does not perform very well with this amount of emails and Thunderbird does not support on his stable version Maildir format natively I'm thinking about export all emails individually and store them on an SQLite database and read that with AutoIt small but functional GUI so the Sales Representatives could easily search trough old mails for information or contacts.
Note: These people has been using Outlook in this way for more than 6 years and they are not tech savvy so trying to educate them will be difficult and time-consuming.

This would be wise to do? AutoIt will be able to perform well with this amount of data? any recommendation? direction? advise?

Regards
Alien.

Why not use an existing software product; there are many available, for instance on my Windows 7 x64 system I still use Google Desktop (no longer available unforunately) and it still works well.  One other product I've trialed in the past was Outlook finder https://outlookfinder.com/ which allows searching of multiple PSTs etc.. and fairly inexpensive.  Most of these products have figured out ways of overcoming index lag which is one of the main issues indexing Outlook, so why reinvent the wheel :) 

2 minutes ago, Subz said:

Why not use an existing software product; there are many available, for instance on my Windows 7 x64 system I still use Google Desktop (no longer available unforunately) and it still works well.  One other product I've trialed in the past was Outlook finder https://outlookfinder.com/ which allows searching of multiple PSTs etc.. and fairly inexpensive.  Most of these products have figured out ways of overcoming index lag which is one of the main issues indexing Outlook, so why reinvent the wheel :) 

Reinventing the Wheel is a good way to learn, maybe you find a better way to build the wheel, is not how new things born?
Cars were invented in 1886 according to Wikipedia but in 2017 new models are coming out with significant improvements...

In the other hand personally,  I don't like to pay for things I can do.

The Outlook part shouldn't be too hard to do with my OutlookEX UDF.
You would need to implement a full text search for the item body, a way to search in filelds (like subject) and a date range search. Maybe a way to retrieve all mails of a conversation.
A lot of work but doable.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

16 hours ago, water said:

The Outlook part shouldn't be too hard to do with my OutlookEX UDF.
You would need to implement a full text search for the item body, a way to search in filelds (like subject) and a date range search. Maybe a way to retrieve all mails of a conversation.
A lot of work but doable.

Thank you @water
Maybe I can use the tool you previously show me? the one that Export to .eml files and then read each file and save them to SQLite?
What about Attachments? I can save attachments as binary data on SQLite?

Regards
Alien.

I think you need to store two different kinds of information in the database:

• Metadata: Sendername, Senderaddress, Recipients, Subject, mail body, date/time sent, date/time sent received, priority, ...
  • The mail itself including attachments

I'm not familiar with SQLite but I think you can save a mail including all attachmetns as BLOBs in the database.

What you want to do will be a lot of work. Make sure to define the requirements of your users in advance!
Good luck.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki