How to disable Escape key?

goldenix

Hi

I want to press escape key & nothing should happen. Is this possible?

Following code seems to be working with other other hotkeys, but does not work with escape key.

Open any video on yotube for example & fullscreen it, then run code below, the video will exit from fullscreen indicating that esc key was pressed. Is there a workaround perhaps ?

HotKeySet("{Esc}","disable_esc")

func disable_esc()
    ;send('{space}')
EndFunc

while 1
    sleep(100)
WEnd

Edited by goldenix
My Projects:[list][*]Guide - ytube step by step tut for reading memory with autoitscript + samples[*]WinHide - tool to show hide windows, Skinned With GDI+[*]Virtualdub batch job list maker - Batch Process all files with same settings[*]Exp calc - Exp calculator for online games[*]Automated Microsoft SQL Server 2000 installer[*]Image sorter helper for IrfanView - 1 click opens img & move ur mouse to close opened img[/list]

On 18.2.2017 at 11:13 AM, JohnOne said:

Did you have any luck with the registry setting which comes up in a web search?

Umm...what kind of registry setting?

I mean reg setting to hotkey set command ?

My Projects:[list][*]Guide - ytube step by step tut for reading memory with autoitscript + samples[*]WinHide - tool to show hide windows, Skinned With GDI+[*]Virtualdub batch job list maker - Batch Process all files with same settings[*]Exp calc - Exp calculator for online games[*]Automated Microsoft SQL Server 2000 installer[*]Image sorter helper for IrfanView - 1 click opens img & move ur mouse to close opened img[/list]

1 hour ago, JohnOne said:

When I searched web, one of the top answers, possibly the top answer offers a registry setting.

I searched before I posted, did not see any registry setting solution, what did you enter into the search field?

48 minutes ago, junkew said:

What is your overall goal on disabling escape key?

If kiosk mode is the answer see : https://technet.microsoft.com/nl-nl/itpro/windows/manage/set-up-a-kiosk-for-windows-10-for-desktop-editions

When I watch a video in full screen I would like to pause it by sending space key with my remote.

My remote has only 1 button & it sends Esc key.

The problem is that autoit does not disable escape key. Instead it sends (escape and space key at the same time) when I press esc button on my keyboard or btn on my remote.

As result == Video is exited from full screen & then paused.

Edited by goldenix

But now I understand your remote is not sending what you expect. What kind of mediabox you are controlling?

http://kodi.wiki/view/Alternative_keymaps_for_most_remotes

your solution seems to be AutoIt where the actual cause is something completely different.

1 minute ago, junkew said:

But now I understand your remote is not sending what you expect. What kind of mediabox you are controlling?

http://kodi.wiki/view/Alternative_keymaps_for_most_remotes

your solution seems to be AutoIt where the actual cause is something completely different.

Remote is not the issue hire.

Like I said before. I want to press escape key on the keyboard. and nothing should happen.

6 minutes ago, junkew said:

Aa I see what you mean, I thought you were talking about Autoit solution hire, but you were talking about general regedit.

Regedit requires log off or reboot for the changes to take effect. Im not going to reboot every time I want to press esc.

Have you really been operating a computer for at least 10 years.

If if that is what you believe you'd have to do, I seriously doubt it.

This has to be a piss take.

Edited by JohnOne

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

func disable_esc()
    sendkeepactive(".*YouTube.*")
    send("f")
EndFunc

Otherwise you have to hook the keys (please use google otherwise I will break forum rules discussing keylogging)

Youtube catches the key after AutoIt has handled it

Edited by junkew

10 minutes ago, junkew said:
func disable_esc()
    sendkeepactive(".*YouTube.*")
    send("f")
EndFunc

Otherwise you have to hook the keys (please use google otherwise I will break forum rules discussing keylogging)

Youtube catches the key after AutoIt has handled it

That is an interesting function, I tested it out with exact window title (just in case) and nop, the video is still getting minimized. so youtube still recognizes I pressed the esc key. I will look into the hook thingie.

Not sure if exact window title will work. If it works you should see your youtube max and minimize in a split second

Easiest solution to your problem is

1. Have autoit script monitor the size of your youtube app every n seconds

2. If not maximized you just send the key f to maximize again