Best way to read from powershell script?

tcox8

Hello,

Currently I am running a script that calls a powershell script. To read the results of that I am reading StdOut. I am parsing things accordingly but unfortunately it doesn't parse correctly all the time and I end up missing parts of the string or other problems. My question then is, what is the best results for reading what is returned when running a powershell script or something similar?

"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't"

Example how I use PS to create a mailbox and write all messages from StdOut and StdErr to a log file:

$sCMD = "C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -command . <command goes here>"
    $pid = Run($sCMD, @SystemDir, @SW_HIDE, $STDIN_CHILD + $STDOUT_CHILD + $STDERR_CHILD)
    StdinWrite($pid, @CRLF)
    StdinWrite($pid)
    ; Process STDOUT
    $sSTDOUT = ""
    While 1
        $sOutput = StdoutRead($pid)
        If @error Then ExitLoop
        If $sOutput <> "" Then $sSTDOUT = $sSTDOUT & @CRLF & $sOutput
    WEnd
    ; Process STDERR
    $sSTDERR = ""
    While 1
        $sOutput = StderrRead($pid)
        If @error Then ExitLoop
        If $sOutput <> "" Then $sSTDERR = $sSTDERR & @CRLF & $sOutput
    WEnd

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Thanks for the help! My problem was that I was attempting to process each line from StdoutRead as it was happening. What worked for me was to do like what is in the example in the help file (of course!) and use $sOutput &= StdoutRead($pid). Now I just parse the $sOuput after the While Loop. Problem solved!

"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't"