GDI+, when to launch and close

gi_jimbo

I'm curious which of the following is better practice.

Use _GDIPlus_Startup() and _GDIPlus_Shutdown() once (at program launch and exit) and keep the GDI+ lib running, not knowing how many times the GUI user will run functions that make use of the GDI functions.

or

Call _GDIPlus_Startup() and _GDIPlus_Shutdown() each time the user runs a function that requires use of the GDI functions.

For some context, I'm writing a GUI that loads picture names from a directory as children into a treeview.  When the user selects one of the picture names I'd like a properly scaled thumbnail of the image to show up in an image frame on the GUI.   This is only a small part of the GUI so it's certainly not the main function therefore it's not like GDI+ will be used constantly.  However, the user may click on a various number of the image names in succession before finding the one they're interested in.  I'm wondering if it may even be better to track when a user first clicks in the treeview and start GDI+ then and shut it down the next time they click outside the treeview.   This treeview is also in a tab so maybe launch it when the tab is activated and close it when the user leaves the tab?

I just don't know and guess I could just pick one but figured there'd be someone here who would know better.  Thoughts?

Jimbo

Using AutoIt v3.3.14.5 and SciTE version 4.2.0