Basic GDI Plus Help

I have been looking over GDI stuff this morning, examples and our wiki pages and have not had much luck luck yet.

What I am trying to do is grab an application window, ultimately it will be different applications but lets just use notepad for an example.

I want to grab the applications window and use that as my handle so I can draw ontop of it.

Since different users have different sizes in the application I want to be able to highlight or draw different marks ontop of the application for guide/tutorial purposes but it needs to scale to the current height/width of the application window.

So I think all I need to get started would be the basic how to on say grab Notepad's window, and draw a circle in the center of it and no matter where on the screen notepad is placed or how big I resize it, it always will find the center.

After I can get started with the basics I can come back with some code and ask for more advanced help if needed.

2 hours ago, ViciousXUSMC said:

grab Notepad's window, and draw a circle in the center of it

#include <GDIPlus.au3>

Run("notepad.exe")
$hWnd = WinWaitActive("[class:Notepad]")

$iX = ControlGetPos($hWnd, "", "Edit1")[2] / 2
$iY = ControlGetPos($hWnd, "", "Edit1")[3] / 2

_GDIPlus_Startup()

$hGraph = _GDIPlus_GraphicsCreateFromHWND(ControlGetHandle($hWnd, "", "Edit1"))
$iW = 100
$iH = 100
_GDIPlus_GraphicsDrawEllipse($hGraph, $iX - $iW / 2, $iY - $iH / 2, $iW, $iH)

_GDIPlus_GraphicsDispose($hGraph)
_GDIPlus_Shutdown()

So making some progress.

One of my ultimate goals for this is to create tutorials for fire fighters to learn how to use new programs and highlight areas in the software for them to click on or focus on.

I am just using Spotify right now since it is on my computer to get working script and learn more about GDIPlus, one issue I see that I know must have an easy answer is how to prevent the drawn shapes from disappearing when the client window updates or the mouse moves over them.

I think drawing in a loop is probably the wrong way to do this.

Also while now I am using manual shapes, I remember when I was working with the IUIAutomation stuff that the demo scripts drew red outlines around the controls it was interfacing with, that may be a lot easier as long as the software has controls, some of it may not I have not gotten that far into it yet.

I am pretty sure it was using GDIPlus to do that, so I may see if I can learn from that code as well.

Anyways back to the first point here is my current code just want to figure out how to make these lines/shapes stay ontop until dismissed.

#include <GDIPlus.au3>

If WinExists("[class:SpotifyMainWindow]") Then
    WinActivate("[class:SpotifyMainWindow]")
Else
    Exit
EndIf

$hWnd = WinWaitActive("[class:SpotifyMainWindow]")

$iX = ControlGetPos($hWnd, "", "[class:Chrome_RenderWidgetHostHWND]")[2] / 2
$iY = ControlGetPos($hWnd, "", "[class:Chrome_RenderWidgetHostHWND]")[3] / 2

_GDIPlus_Startup()
$hPen = _GDIPlus_PenCreate(0xFFFF0000, 5)

$hGraph = _GDIPlus_GraphicsCreateFromHWND(ControlGetHandle($hWnd, "", "[class:Chrome_RenderWidgetHostHWND]"))
$iW = 100
$iH = 100
_GDIPlus_GraphicsDrawEllipse($hGraph, $iX - $iW / 2, $iY - $iH / 2, $iW, $iH, $hPen)

_GDIPlus_GraphicsDrawLine($hGraph, 0, 0, $iX, $iY)
;_GDIPlus_GraphicsDrawLine($hGraph, 20, 20, 300, 300)

_GDIPlus_GraphicsDrawRect($hGraph, 10, 10, 50, 20, $hPen)
_GDIPlus_GraphicsDrawRect($hGraph, 10, 10, 110, 20, $hPen)
_GDIPlus_GraphicsDrawRect($hGraph, 10, 10, 150, 20, $hPen)
_GDIPlus_GraphicsDrawRect($hGraph, 10, 10, 200, 20, $hPen)
_GDIPlus_GraphicsDrawRect($hGraph, 10, 10, 250, 20, $hPen)

_GDIPlus_GraphicsDispose($hGraph)
_GDIPlus_Shutdown()

Edited by ViciousXUSMC