The LineSpace concept addition to SciTE

Hello,

invented  a new concept for SciTE and I implemented it.

Images are 
better to  describe this concept:

LineSpace.png

Descriptions: #6

installation instructions:

1. Open the file "\AutoIt3\SciTE\Properties\au3.properties"
  2. Add this
    # 35 gil900 LineSpace
    command.35.$(au3)="$(SciteDefaultHome)\..\AutoIt3.exe" "REPLACE THIS WITH THE PATH TO LineSpace.au3"$(FilePath)"
    command.name.35.$(au3)=LineSpace
    command.shortcut.35.$(au3)=Alt+A
    command.subsystem.35.$(au3)=2
    command.save.before.35.$(au3)=2
    command.replace.selection.35.$(au3)=0
    command.quiet.35.$(au3)=1

(Write the path to LineSpace.au3 wher you need to... (read the note))

3. Save the file
  4. Reopen SciTE
  5. Enjoy !

User manual:

• Before you use this, add this line to your source file.
    #include 'LineSpaces_list.au3'

You don't have to create this file because the LineSpace script will create it for you when you first use it.

• To open LineSpcae, active the line of where you wrote this (in this format #LineSpace <Name> ) and then press -> Alt+A.
    It will create the <Name>.au3 if it does not exists and will open sub editor that show the file.

Download ("r" is the release number)

LineSpace r2.zip

• Added: If the LineSpace is already open in the sub-editor, it will not open again. Instead of this, it will do WinFlash() to the sub-editor window that show the LineSpace.
  • More unnecessary features in the sub-editor was disabled (such as shortcut keys to build, compile, run the script)
  • Fixed bug in the sub-editor that the editor not loading custom style settings if the custom style settings stored in the installation directory
    (In case that the file SciTEUser.properties is stored in AutoIt3\SciTE and not profile, it will not load settings from the file)
  • The part of loading the LineSpace in the sub-editor is now probably implemented in a way that the original developer may do..
  • The sub-editor window will now open as a child window of SciTE. so when you minimize minimize SciTE, any sub-editor will minimize with SciTE
  • Removed GUI bug that is related to the title of the sub-editor window (the "[2 of 2]" bug you see in the image above. fixed now.

LineSpace.rar

Note - this is not finished. But that's good enough for me at the moment. 
Hope you found it useful!

Edited by Guest

I like the idea, but I have a couple of points:

1. Please use ZIP instead of the proprietary rar format, as not everyone has 7-zip or such-like
  2. Did you create all that source code yourself? If not, then please provide links as to where the original can be found
  3. It's best to include all files at the top of the script and not in the middle of the file, since it can have bad side-effects later on when you add additional functionality

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Interesting idea. Thanks for sharing. :)

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

• Moderators

gil900,

Could you please explain the advantage of this #LineSpace directive over using the existing #region/#endregion directives to create collapsible sections of script-specific lines within the master script? It seems to me that regions are preferable to the plethora of small subsidiary files created by this UDF (one each time you use the #LineSpace directive as far as I can tell) and whose names are then bundled into the LineSpaces_list #include file for later insertion.

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

8 hours ago, guinness said:

I like the idea, but I have a couple of points:

1. Please use ZIP instead of the proprietary rar format, as not everyone has 7-zip or such-like
  2. Did you create all that source code yourself? If not, then please provide links as to where the original can be found
  3. It's best to include all files at the top of the script and not in the middle of the file, since it can have bad side-effects later on when you add additional functionality
  1. That 's weird. Okay, I' il use it
  2. No :)I forgot to name the creator of SciTE Clone - AutoIt SciTE impostor . Thank to Skitty who did all this hard stuff about the editor. his project is perfect for the implementation of this concept because,  he really made a Clone to SciTE. So the sub editor will look like it is a part of SciTE itself. I could not ask for anything better than his project.
    You wont believe it but all I did to his code is just  comment few sections / specific lines (ASciTE.au3), to disable some feachers that are not needed for a "sub-window-editor" .
    I invested 0 time in cleaning the left overs of the "deleted" feachers ( Because only this will take some time to do) .. All my little time invested on getting things done.
    In addition to disable some feachers (again, only the feachers that need for a full-editor. not for sub-editor) , I also did few changes -
    I changed the style of the GUI and I changed the thing that should happen when you click on the "Open" icon - instead of FileOpenDialog , it will open the file in SciTE (so a new tab will open in the main editor). do you think that after this the sub-editor should close itself? it doesn't.. not a big deal to chage so it will close itself when you click on the "Open" icon
  3. Quote

It's best to include all files at the top of the script and not in the middle of the file

It really does it. just for you it looks like it is in the middle of the file. but in fact - it is a shortcut key to a au3 file that included at the top of the script. You should know that the "LineSpace" is a shortcut key to more lines that included at the top of the script. You can add this again and again to anywhere you want so you can easily access the same code from more than one place.

Edit: I misunderstood what you meant earlier.
    I know that usually I should include all the files at the top of the script. but this is a   different case.
    The file ASciTE - Mod.au3 is doing some stuff such as dll open and maybe more (I did not look deeper) that are not always need to be done .. so I think that it was more safe to include it on the area that execute only when these stuff need to be done - which is when there is need to open the editor.
    It is more safe to do this then modify the original source more which can lead to more potential bugs (because I'm not the original developer of it) in this way I can make minimum modifications to the original source file.

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, Melba23 said:

gil900,

Could you please explain the advantage of this #LineSpace directive over using the existing #region/#endregion directives to create collapsible sections of script-specific lines within the master script? It seems to me that regions are preferable to the plethora of small subsidiary files created by this UDF (one each time you use the #LineSpace directive as far as I can tell) and whose names are then bundled into the LineSpaces_list #include file for later insertion.

M23

advantage over the #region/#endregion

* It act like a Shortcut Key. With #region/#endregion you can't create shortcut key to the code in the #region/#endregion.
You can put this Shortcut Key / link to code ( "link to code" is a better  definition) again and again anywhere you need..

For example, you have large script and there are few different areas that using group of functions / variables.
With #LineSpace you can add in all these areas the same line of #LineSpace directive.. for example, all these areas using Functions for thing X. so you can create #LineSpace FunctionForX and write all these function there. now in all these areas you can add the same line that is #LineSpace FunctionForX .
later when you read the code again in another distant day, you may come back to one of these areas and you will see the link to code. you will be able to easly open the section of code without loss the focus from this areas (because it open in sub-editor)

It behaves like Interactive comment that help you to navigate the code easily. instead of comment that tell you to go to some region of code, it will go for you (by opening sub-editor) in elegant way. #region/#endregion can't do this.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, gil900 said:

No :)I forgot to name the creator of SciTE Clone - AutoIt SciTE impostor .

I'm not able to open this link.
Could somebody confirm the same issue ?

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

And me too.

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

LineSpace r2.zip

• Added: If the LineSpace is already open in the sub-editor, it will not open again. Instead of this, it will do WinFlash() to the sub-editor window that show the LineSpace.
  • More unnecessary features in the sub-editor was disabled (such as shortcut keys to build, compile, run the script)
  • Fixed bug in the sub-editor that the editor not loading custom style settings if the custom style settings stored in the installation directory
    (In case that the file SciTEUser.properties is stored in AutoIt3\SciTE and not profile, it will not load settings from the file)
  • The part of loading the LineSpace in the sub-editor is now probably implemented in a way that the original developer may do..
  • The sub-editor window will now open as a child window of SciTE. so when you minimize minimize SciTE, any sub-editor will minimize with SciTE
  • Removed GUI bug that is related to the title of the sub-editor window (the "[2 of 2]" bug you see in the image above. fixed now.
Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, JLogan3o13 said:

It opened for me @mLipok

2 hours ago, TheSaint said:

And me too.

There is something strange in this thread, or again in my GoogleChrome browser, as IE works almost correctly - little longer but at the end opens entire content.
GoogleChrome is opening this thread only partially and loading is in progress...........

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

I'm sorry for confusion

mLipok

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

@gil900 l'elegance, very important =)
There is Ctrl - J to jump to the function, if the cursor is on the word. Even if it's in an #include, it'll load the #include file and and go to that line.
There is also Scite Jump.
PS: don't hate me for this note, sometimes there are tools I'm unaware of, maybe is your case, no clue.

Follow the link to my code contribution ( and other things too ).
FAQ - Please Read Before Posting.
autoit_scripter_blue_userbar.png

This is my case.
Do not worry, I do not hate you for that. I decided not to use this
addition I developed anyway.  Because the idea is still not good enough for me to want to use it in real use case..

I should have to think about another idea.. - a shortcut key to #Region <Name>
That will open this sub-editor (in the same way) but will show in the sub-editor only the content inside the selected region.
It's a better idea that I got after I read the point that Melba23 mentioned
(Instead of inventing a new wheel, a smarter idea is to upgrade an existing wheel)

I'm not going to realize that right now. I do not have such a plan to realize it. If someone wants to realize it, feel free to do it. This example is a good start. There are not many changes that need to be made

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, Biatu said:

what about a hotkey like: Alt+Shift+[1-9] etc, to jump to specific region of code (in seq order)?

In my opinion the whole idea of "jump" is less good then open sub-editor like I did in this example.. I think that it's better have option to open section of code in sub-editor and then from the sub editor you can open it to show in the main editor if you want..

As you see, it is not very hard to implement the sub-editor. I proved that this is easy to implement (Thanks to the hard work made by Skitty). So I ask someone to implement such thing (What I did is something like that but it forcing you to write your code in specific file in specific folder. You do not have the freedom to write the code where you want ) .. in addition to the "jump" option, it will be nice to have option to jump but it a way that it will show in new sub-editor window.  I do not have time to realize this .. My example is a good start if someone wants to work on it

Edited by Guest

• Developers

I haven't tried it yet and just browsed through the topic, so forgive me when I am asking a duh question...but:

Isn't this all the same as adding #include"xyz.au3" for each of those code blocks and simply doing a Alt+I on the include statement when you want to edit the code?

Jos

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

10 minutes ago, Jos said:

I haven't tried it yet and just browsed through the topic, so forgive me when I am asking a duh question...but:

Isn't this all the same as adding #include"xyz.au3" for each of those code blocks and simply doing a Alt+I on the include statement when you want to edit the code?

Jos

No. Because #include of "xyz.au3" you can add only once and this you can add as many times you want In different places in the script.. it is also link to code and you can put the link anywhare you want in the source file.

I think the part that really matters in my idea is the LINK TO CODE + SUB_EDITOR other things in the idea are less important

Edited by Guest