Possible to ??...

LerN

I've seen people work on projects that are used within the company they work. Most big companies that I've seen (on craigslist ads) want something written in C#, and I've seen C++, VB, java, and I worked at a company that wrote a point of sale software in python.

I think what Kylomas is getting at is in a school environment they're not going to teach autoit. They're going to go with a more popular and business used language. Like Java, Python, C++, C#. I started going to school for computer science and they taught C++ at my school. Another friend was taught python at his school.

I'd say pick up one of the more business like languages but AutoIt is still a great language to have knowledge in. If I ever want to do something small I'm not gonna open up my Visual studio IDE and write 3 headers and a main function to do something when I could write it out in a few minutes in AutoIt.

Every project I have been paid to do was in AutoIt.  My first paid project used C++ and AutoIt, but could have all been done in AutoIt if I had known the language better at the time.  I've worked for 2 businesses providing scripts.  Mitchel's Window Cleaning and a NDA.  I've only had 4 clients (I think) and I've earned about 2k using AutoIt.  Keep in mind I didn't visit my records for this info, it's off the top of my head.

Edited by Xandy

Just now, Xandy said:

Every project I have been paid to do was in AutoIt.  My first paid project used C++ and AutoIt, but could have all been done in AutoIt if I had known the language better at the time.  I've worked for 2 businesses providing scripts.  Mitchel's Window Cleaning and a NDA.  I've only had 4 clients (I think) and I've earned about 2k using AutoIt.  Keep in mind I didn't visit my records for this info, it's off the top of my head.

And could u build nice forms in koda ?

I've never used Koda.  I GUI by hand.

edit: I tried it but didn't like it.  Or actually just didn't want to learn b/c I thought it would be slower to create lists with.

Edited by Xandy

#include <GUIConstants.au3>
$hGui = GuiCreate("Window Title", 320, 200)
GuiSetState(); Shows the window we just created

Do
    $msg = GuiGetMsg(); this provides a sleep so we don't cook the cpu
Until $msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE

but I'm going to need an Include for that $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE

edit: all fixed

Edited by Xandy

Now I don't know you'd also have to create some controls and maybe labels.  I'd use arrays to organize and speed things up.

Have a look at the GUICtrlCreate..  functions

Like: GuiCtrlCreateButton, GuiCtrlCreateInput, GuiCtrlCreateLabel

Edited by Xandy

So, you can do a lot of things with AutoIt, and I've ever seen (and used) several programs developed in AutoIt or that have parts coded with AutoIt.

Basically, when creating a program, you must think it completely and guess the right programming language to do it.

Example: if you are creating a website, although AutoIt has AU3-CGI for websites developments, there are more solid works around, such as PHP, NodeJS with Express and so on.

If you are creating a DLL, special controls and the else, AutoIt won't help you. Better use C/C++.

If you want your application to run on several operating systems, better go with Java.

If you want to make an Android application, Java. iOS, Objective-C. 

If you're going to write some webservice, then NodeJS or PHP with some framework (SlimFramework for instance), and some .NET solutions that I'm not aware of.

What I love in AutoIt is that every task is done quickly. And its syntax is Basic-like, which IMHO is easier to understand as it focus in keywords instead of symbols (i.e.: "EndIf" instead of "}"). But of course it's not suitable to any situation (no language is).

My stuff

Spoiler

My UDFs  _AuThread multithreading emulation for AutoIt · _ExtInputBox an inputbox with multiple inputs and more features · forceUTF8 fix strings encoding without knowing its original charset · JSONgen JSON generator · _TCPServer UDF multi-client and multi-task (run on background) event-based TCP server easy to do · _TCPClient_UDF multi-server and multi-task (runs on background) event-based TCP client easy to do · ParseURL and ParseStr functions ported from PHP · _CmdLine UDF easily parse command line parameters, keys or flags · AutoPHP Create documents (bills, incomes) from HTML by sending variables/arrays from AutoIt to PHP · (Un)Serialize Convert arrays and data into a storable string (PHP compatible) · RTTL Plays and exports to MP3 Nokia-format monophonic ringtones (for very old cellphones) · I18n library Simple and easy to use localization library · Scripting.Dictionary OOP and OOP-like approach · Buffer/stack limit arrays to N items by removing the last one once the limit is reached · NGBioAPI UDF to work with Nitgen fingerprint readers · Serial/Licensing system require license key based on unique machine ID from your users · HTTP a simple WinHTTP library that allows GET, POST and file uploads · Thread true AutoIt threads (under-dev) · RC4 RC4 encryption compatible with PHP and JS ·  storage.au3 localStorage and sessionStorage for AutoIt Classes _WKHtmlToX uses wkhtmlto* to convert HTML files and webpages into PDF or images (jpg, bmp, gif, png...) Snippets _Word_DocFindReplaceByLongText replace strings using Word UDF with strings longer than 255 characters (MSWord limit) rangeparser parser for printing-like pages interval (e.g.: "1,2,3-5") EnvParser parse strings/paths with environment variables and get full path GUICtrlStaticMarquee static text scrolling Random stuff Super Mario beep sound your ears will hurt