Locate directories that have a certain type of file

qwert

Here's a script that I fashioned as a front end for other processing:

;
;           Script to build an array of all subdirs that contain a certain type of file
;           (based on a selected starting directory in a disk drive's "tree structure")
;
#include <File.au3>
#include <Misc.au3>

$type = "*.PDF"                             ;   <<< SPECIFY THE FILE EXTENSION

$dir = FileSelectFolder ( "Select a directory to process", "C:\")

; "List folders and subfolders within the root folder" (If path ends in \ then folders will be returned with an ending \.)
$aList = _FileListToArrayRec($dir, "*", $FLTA_FOLDERS, $FLTAR_RECUR, $FLTAR_NOSORT, $FLTAR_FULLPATH)
;_ArrayDisplay($aList)                      ; FOR DEBUG, ONLY

If IsArray($aList) Then
    For $a = $aList[0] To 1 Step -1
        $hSearch = FileFindFirstFile($aList[$a] & "\" & $type)
        If $hSearch = -1 Then               ; if nothing found,
            _ArrayDelete($aList, $a)        ; get rid of the subdir entry
        Else
            FileClose($hSearch)         ; close the active search handle
        EndIf
    If _IsPressed("11") Then Exit       ; CTRL key lets you force an exit
    Next
Else
    MsgBox(0, "Problem", "The directory could not be processed for some reason.")
    Exit
EndIf
$aList[0] = Ubound($aList) - 1
_ArrayDisplay($aList)                       ; THE RESULT

I noticed that the code in the original post won't return the root folder that is being searched. For example if I search on the Documents folder for PDFs, it won't return the Documents folder as one of the folders containing PDFs even though there are PDFs there.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Interesting.  Thanks for pointing that out.  That escaped me because, as I mentioned, it's a front end for a process where all the content happens to be in subdirectories.  I'll have to experiment with _FileListToArrayRec().  In the mean time, I suppose anyone who needs files from $dir can append it to the array before the FindFirstFile loop.