SQLite Query for populating combobox

Good evening guys :)

I am working on a little project, in which I have to retrieve 8000+ rows of data from a table, from a SQLite database, to populate a combobox :)

This is what I tried 'til now, but it still takes about 12 seconds to populate the combobox.

_SQLite_Exec($objDatabase, "BEGIN TRANSACTION;")
If _SQLite_GetTable($objDatabase, "SELECT DISTINCT Comune FROM LISTA_COMUNI;", $arrRisultatoQuery, $intRighe, $intColonne) = $SQLITE_OK Then
    For $i = 2 To UBound($arrRisultatoQuery) - 1
        If $i < UBound($arrRisultatoQuery) - 1 Then
            GUICtrlSetData($cbo_ComuneNascita, $arrRisultatoQuery[$i] & "|")
        Else
            GUICtrlSetData($cbo_ComuneNascita, $arrRisultatoQuery[$i])
        EndIf
    Next
_SQLite_Exec($objDatabase, "COMMIT;")

Are there any other solution to retrieve 8000+ records from a SQLite database?

Thank you very much :) 

Click here to see my signature:

Spoiler

ALWAYS GOOD TO READ:

Hello. Use _GUICtrlComboBox_AddString is faster than GUICtrlSetData

Saludos

@FrancescoDiMuro,

Remove BEGIN and COMMIT. You don't need to enclose a single select (or any other single SQL statement BTW) in a transaction. SQLite will do that for you under the hood.

Now why is selecting distinct values so slow? Do you have duplicates in your table? If yes you should remove extra copies. If you don't have duplicate rows but only several rows for the same "Comune" column, then the design is flawed: you shouldn't duplicate data like that. Use a separate table and foreign keys for that.

To make you understand what I mean, imagine you have a table of all streets in a country. A bad design would be:
Id, Region, City, Street
where Region and City will be repeated for every street.

A better design will use a Regions table, a Cities Table and a Streets table.

Regions:
RegionId, RegionName (Unique)

Cities:
CityId, CityName (Unique in a given region)

Streets:
Id, RegionId, CityId, StreetName
where RegionId is a foreign key to the Regions table and CityId a foreign key to the Cities table.

Of course this is just a simplified example to fix ideas. This process of avoiding data duplication is called DB normalization.

Besides these considerations, you can also use the power of SQL to return you a single string with all the data and delimiters in place, for instance:

_SQLite_QuerySingleRow($objDatabase, "select group_concat(Comune, '|') FROM (select distinct comune from LISTA_COMUNI) group by null;", $Row)

On my table of 75377 zip codes for 32 countries, this request takes 300ms on my very slow PC. This way you can feed $Row to the combobox all in once. Yet, I personally suspect that a combobox with 8000+ entries is definitely unpractical, but that is up to you.

Edited by jchd

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

Good morning @jchd:)

The table I have does not contain more than a couple of duplicated rows...

What I'd like to have, is retrieve all the data from "Comune", and display them in a combobox, in order to let the user select what he wants to.

Do you have any pratical suggestion on how to display so many rows, and let select just one of them, in order to manage the data selected?

For SQLite: I can try with what you did suggest to me... But then, I have to split data, am I right? :)

Thank you a lot :) 

Click here to see my signature:

Spoiler

ALWAYS GOOD TO READ:

I find it irritating when I'm offered a choice in some overpopulated, endless and boring listbox of combobox.

Restricting the choices to the few which loosely match user input seems preferable. I've made available an SQLite extension DLL named "Unifuzz" which offers a number of Unicode string and collations functions, among which a typos() function returning the Damerau-Levenshtein distance between two strings. I often use it this way, loosely adapted to what I understand of your context:

select distinct comune from comuni where typos(comune, $input) < 3 order by comune;

This returns all distinct comune that are 4 character change away from the string in variable $input. For instance, searching cities in Belgium,
select distinct ville from codespostaux where paysiso = 'BE' and typos(ville, 'böan') < 3 order by ville;
returns:

BOHAN
BOOM
BOST
BRA
BRAS
BRAY
DOHAN
MEAN
MOEN
ON

You can see that allowing as little as two typos already grabs a fair but manageable number of plausible choices. This function works by first folding case and accents on the whole BMP unicode range. Sorry I don't have a list of italian comuni to examplify.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

_ArrayToString is a possibility but using the power of fast SQL function will always reveal faster than UDF code.