How to read windows installation screen contents embedded from the external web

Hi All,

I need help. I trying to automate the installation process using AutoIT. During the installation, some windows installation screen contents is being embedded from the external web. Therefore AutoIT not able to detect the controlID for those web buttons, I do not know URL too. Which AutoIt library can I use at least to detect the string inside the screen? I've been looking into IE3,  it seems none of the UDF suitable. 

Please let me know any reference I can refer to or any autoit library can help in this issue. Thanks

3 minutes ago, kenny4896 said:

Hi All,

I need help. I trying to automate the installation process using AutoIT. During the installation, some windows installation screen contents is being embedded from the external web. Therefore AutoIT not able to detect the controlID for those web buttons, I do not know URL too. Which AutoIt library can I use at least to detect the string inside the screen? I've been looking into IE3,  it seems none of the UDF suitable. 

Please let me know any reference I can refer to or any autoit library can help in this issue. Thanks

What application are you trying to download/install?  Do you know if it has any silent install switches?  Try opening the executable with this tool to see if it has a silent install string you can use to silently install it.

If that is not an option, maybe you can check to see if chocolatey already has a automated install package for the application you want to automate.

Edited by MattHiggs

My company proprietary application, we require login during the installation. Hence, no silent switches in this case. If autoIt library not allow us to read the contents embedded from the external web into the windows screen, then very obvious autoIt is no longer an option.  

4 minutes ago, kenny4896 said:

My company proprietary application, we require login during the installation. Hence, no silent switches in this case. If autoIt library not allow us to read the contents embedded from the external web into the windows screen, then very obvious autoIt is no longer an option.  

You may be boned.  Or at least give us/find out for yourself more information about what it is you need to accomplish.  If the installer is using an embedded IE object (which it sounds like it is), then you cannot interact with the contents of the window like normal windows controls, because they are NOT normal windows controls.  They are html elements in an online form that is being displayed in an embedded IE (or some other browser) object.  First and foremost, you need to determine what the URL for the form is.  That will be essential.  There are simple ways you can do this.  Download and install a packet sniffer, like wireshark or one of the very useful and portable nirsoft utilities to get the url for that form any way you can, because if you can't, not only will autoit not solve your issue, nothing on planet earth will 

you may want to try using this tool.  Run it as admin, then go to the point in the installer with the login page, and use drag and drop just like the autoit window tool.  If it displays information, then congratulations, you have an embedded IE object and will have no choice but to use the IE automation library.

Thanks. You described precisely my problem,  installer is using an embedded IE object exactly. My doubt is still if Autobot can't extract the url from the embedded IE object directly, I wouldn't know where is the installation status now. I can hardcode the url to my scripts, but if not able to read what is the contents now in the embedded IE object, I afraid it's still a stopping issue for me.

Managed to read the contents with the syntax below. Thanks for enlighten..

AutoItSetOption("WinTitleMatchMode", 2)
Local $HWND = WinGetHandle("My Tool", "")
MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Handler", $HWND)
Local $oie = _IEAttach($HWND, "embedded")
Local $sText = _IEBodyReadText($oie)
MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Contents", $sText)