File Description Remove in Tray Tip Balloon?

I created an application that uses TrayTip balloon's to notify the user of actions such as Starting, Shutting Down, Activated, Paused etc...

The balloon that appears uses the description of the file at the bottom after the message.  Is there a way to disable this?   I do not want the file description to appear in the balloon tip.

By default it is "Aut2exe"  but if you include     #AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_Description=     in the top directives region and include your own description then that will appear. If you leave this blank then it is just Aut2exe displayed again.   I have not found a way to remove the description entirely, I would prefer it to be blank or at least NOT appear in the TrayTip.  

How can I achieve this?

Edited by iAmNewbe

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Jos but that does not work. The dot shows up in the notification. I would like that to not show up at all. Leaving it blank it is propigated with Aut2exe.
I like have the description in the file, the exe but NOT in the notifications.

Windows 10 creators update.

• Developers

Currently, AutoIt3Wrapper assumes that an empty parameter means nothing specified so don't do anything.
How would the logic work in your mind? Just look at AutoIt3Wrapper.au3 and see how things work currently.

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

i'm not sure what exactly you mean by "balloon tip", but this works for me for tray tool tip:

TraySetToolTip(Chr(0))

Edited by orbs

Signature - my forum contributions:

Spoiler

UDF:

LFN - support for long file names (over 260 characters)

InputImpose - impose valid characters in an input control

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

AMF - accept multiple files from Windows Explorer context menu

DateDuration -  literal description of the difference between given dates

Apps:

Touch - set the "modified" timestamp of a file to current time

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

SPDiff - Single-Pane Text Diff

do you mean when hovering over the tray icon of a running compiled script? or hovering over the file in Windows Explorer?

Spoiler

UDF:

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

Apps:

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

Compiled script

Windows Notification popup.  No balloon or notice above tray it appears on screen when a windows notice occurs.  Same occurs for certain windows event, news updates, cortana info or anything else that windows wants to alert the user to.   In these notices the description of the file or the file name or aut2exe is displayed.

Code used to produce these notices

TrayTip("", $msg, 0, $noticeIcon)  

$msg        = the message to send
0           = no timeout
$noticeIcon = the icon to display in the popup message notice

i cannot reproduce this behaviour. this statement only shows a balloon tip with the word "text" in it:

TrayTip('','text',0)

this is the same for both compiled and native script.

care to post a working reproducer and a screenshot?

Edited by orbs

Spoiler

UDF:

Apps:

sorry, still cannot reproduce.

the only reference to the exe name (or description) i see is in Windows 10 notification list (in which the tray tip also appears, regardless of the individual balloon tip). now, considering this is a consolidated list of all notifications, i find it reasonable to mention the exe description. i wouldn't want to eliminate that, but accommodate it. for example, if your balloon tip says something like "{app name} is paused", you can forfeit the "{app name}" part and just tip "paused", because Windows 10 takes care of that for you.

personally, i'm still on Windows 7 as my main working environment, with no plans to downgrade to Windows 10 for now.

Edited by orbs

Spoiler

UDF:

Apps:

This seems to be a Windows 10 only issue, I created a bug report about it.

When the icon option is used there is always something placed underneath the message either the filename or aut2exe. Then if there is a description it uses that but there is no way to NOT have something there under the message when the icon is used. When the icon is NOT used then it works normally.

19 hours ago, orbs said:

sorry, still cannot reproduce.

the only reference to the exe name (or description) i see is in Windows 10 notification list (in which the tray tip also appears, regardless of the individual balloon tip). now, considering this is a consolidated list of all notifications, i find it reasonable to mention the exe description. i wouldn't want to eliminate that, but accommodate it. for example, if your balloon tip says something like "{app name} is paused", you can forfeit the "{app name}" part and just tip "paused", because Windows 10 takes care of that for you.

personally, i'm still on Windows 7 as my main working environment, with no plans to downgrade to Windows 10 for now.

Windows 10 shows an alert popup box that earlier versions of Windows does not.  It is not the popup message directly above the tray that appears in other versions of windows like 7. This is a stand alone little notification window with it's own timer apparently because no matter the timeout used in the TrayTip this balloon, notification window or whatever you want to call it will open and close on it's own time table, maybe it will take into account the timeout many times I don't see it do this.

Since I can reproduce this on multiple computers running Autoit v3 specifically 3.314.2 and only when the icon is used I reported this as a bug. 

20 hours ago, Jos said:

It is about the popup when hovering the compiled script. 

Jos

In my specific case I am sending notifications or TrayTip's based on events within my program. Telling the user when the program is loaded, shutting down, starting a windows service and other program specific messages.  Though TrayTips can be used in different ways.  

I do find it interesting that the TrayTip at least in Windows 10 if you do not choose the option for an icon it will use the exe icon of the program itself in the TrayTip.  I don't mind that,

• Developers

I have added my reply to your bugreport.
I am using Win10 and still don't understand the issue you are seeing, but we either have the dialog here of in Track... your choice.

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Developers

The thing I see is that the Program filename is shown when the single line is compiled, and the Description is shown when provided by: 
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_Description=Desciption
In case it is ran by AutoIt3.exe, it will show "AutoIt v3 Script", which is the description of the AutoIt3.exe.

Is this what you are talking about?

Jos

Edited by Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Uploading two images.   Both have no descriptions the  #AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_Description directive is empty.
One with and one without the icon for TrayTip.  The one with the icon will ALWAYS have something underneath the message.  

When using TrayTip without the icon option then if there is no description the space under the message is blank.

TrayTip("","TEXT MESSAGE",0)   = works normally

TrayTip("","TEXT MESSAGE",0,0)   = will all always have text under the message whether description is filled in or not

no icon no description.jpg

With Icon No Description.jpg

Edited by iAmNewbe