Run batch file on a seperate window from consolewrite?

Hi everyone.

I'm currently working a program that constantly prints out log files through "consolewrite" and the "#AutoIt3Wrapper_Change2CUI=y" wrapper.

Part of this program requires me to run a batch script.

My issue is the batch script launches from the same window as consolewrite. I need the batch file to be launched through a different window as currently this causes an issue with the logs (which need to be very precise) but also causes the batch file to produce some funny behavior...

Does anyone know how I can force the file to run on a second DOS window?

Thanks in advance!!!

Edit: Im using the "run" command if that helps. I tried "shellexecute" but that seemed to not launch the batch scripts at all.

Edited by fosil

Instead of using ConsoleWrite to create the log information, why don't you just write it to a file, and then it won't need to run as a CUI program.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

10 minutes ago, BrewManNH said:

Instead of using ConsoleWrite to create the log information, why don't you just write it to a file, and then it won't need to run as a CUI program.

I have to do both. The logs get displayed in real time on the console as well as a text file. Unfortunately I can't change that part.

Sure you can, use an edit control to display the live content.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

1 minute ago, BrewManNH said:

Sure you can, use an edit control to display the live content.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that? Can you give me an example?

I'm not entirely sure If I can incorporate it in my situation because that part was written by someone else and I rather leave it alone, but if itl fix this issue im open to it :)

Show me your script and I'll show you how to modify it.

This is the function responsible for creating the logs:

Func Write_log($aString)

local $logfile = "D:\Logs\logfile.txt"

local $openlogfile = FileOpen($logfile)

If FileExists($logfile) = 0 Then
        _FileCreate($logfile)
    EndIf

If StringLen($aString) = 0 Then
        FileWriteLine($logfile,@CRLF)
        ConsoleWrite(@CRLF)

Else
        FileWriteLine($logfile,_Now() & ": " & $aString & @CRLF)
        ConsoleWrite(_Now() & ": " & $aString & @CRLF)

EndIf

FileClose($openlogfile)

EndFunc

Here's one way of doing it.

; somewhere at the start of your script you create a GUI and put an Edit control in it.

Func Write_log($aString)

local $logfile = "D:\Logs\logfile.txt"

local $openlogfile = FileOpen($logfile)

If FileExists($logfile) = 0 Then
        _FileCreate($logfile)
    EndIf

If StringLen($aString) = 0 Then
        FileWriteLine($logfile,@CRLF)
        GUICtrlSetData($hSomeEditControlID, @CRLF, 1)
    Else
        FileWriteLine($logfile,_Now() & ": " & $aString & @CRLF)
        GUICtrlSetData($hSomeEditControlID, _Now() & ": " & $aString & @CRLF, 1)
    EndIf

FileClose($openlogfile)

EndFunc

The number 1 at the end of the GUICtrlSetData is there just so that it's not an empty string, so that it will append your text to the end of the Edit control instead of overwrite its contents.