Script worked fine on Windows XP, no longer works in Windows 7

G'day everyone

Long ago (2013), while using Windows XP still, I wrote a little script with shortcuts for typing hard-to-type characters.  For example, Ctrl+) types a curly apostrophe.  However, after switching to Windows 7, I discovered that the script no longer pastes the correct characters.  Instead, it pastes the Unicode character U+FFFD ("replacement character").

It took me a while to notice this, because I was using an EXE version of the script, and the EXE version (which was compiled on Windows XP) functions correctly.  If I compile a new EXE on Windows 7, it doesn't paste the correct characters either.

Can anyone please have a look at the script and tell me what should change for this to work in Windows 7 (and hopefully also later versions of Windows)?  As it is, I can't add new features due to this problem.

#Include <String.au3>
$nonbreaker = _HexToString("a0")
$dasher = _HexToString("96")
$dotter = _HexToString("85")
$singleopenquote = _HexToString("91")
$singleclosequote = _HexToString("92")
$doubleopenquote = _HexToString("93")
$doubleclosequote = _HexToString("94")

MsgBox (0, "Seven keyboard shortcuts for Idiom translators, version 4", "Shift+Ctrl+Space = non-breaking space (e.g. between digits and SI symbols, ""5 cm"")" & @CRLF & "Alt+Ctrl+fullstop = ellips (...)" & @CRLF & "Ctrl+NumMinus = en-dash" & @CRLF & "and also Ctrl+hyphen = en-dash" & @CRLF & @CRLF & "Ctrl+( = single opening quote" & @CRLF & "Ctrl+) = single closing quote (or curly apostrophe)" & @CRLF & "Ctrl+Shift+( = double opening quote" & @CRLF & "Ctrl+Shift+) = double closing quote" & @CRLF & @CRLF & "Some shortcuts may not work in a browser text field." & @CRLF & @CRLF & "To exit the program or to disable the shortcuts, click the round blue icon in the system tray.", 0)

HotKeySet("+^{SPACE}", "nonbreakspace")
HotKeySet("^{NUMPADSUB}", "endash")
HotKeySet("^-", "hyphdash")
HotKeySet("!^.", "ellips")

HotKeySet("^9", "singleopen")
HotKeySet("^0", "singleclose")
HotKeySet("^+9", "doubleopen")
HotKeySet("^+0", "doubleclose")

While 1
    Sleep(100)
WEnd

Func nonbreakspace()
ClipPut ($nonbreaker)
Send ("^v")
EndFunc

Func endash()
ClipPut ($dasher)
Send ("^v")
EndFunc

Func hyphdash()
ClipPut ($dasher)
Send ("^v")
EndFunc

Func ellips()
ClipPut ($dotter)
Send ("^v")
EndFunc

Func singleopen()
ClipPut ($singleopenquote)
Send ("^v")
EndFunc

Func singleclose()
ClipPut ($singleclosequote)
Send ("^v")
EndFunc

Func doubleopen()
ClipPut ($doubleopenquote)
Send ("^v")
EndFunc

Func doubleclose()
ClipPut ($doubleclosequote)
Send ("^v")
EndFunc

Thanks!
Samuel

Here it works without any problem from SciTE and compiled.
Environment:

• Windows 7 Enterprise
  • AutoIt 3.3.14.2

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

That's unfortunate.  A complete fresh re-install of AutoIt did not solve the problem.

It looks like I'm going to have to find another way to put the appropriate content on the clipboard or to send the relevant character.

You need to add some error checking to your script. Each function provides a return value or sets @error - which might tell you what goes wrong.
BTW: Which Version of AutoIt do you run today?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Seems the problem is caused by some combinations of keys get consumed by Windows or deliver an unexpected result:

• Shift+Alt changes the keyboard layout to another language (e.g. switches from German to English to German). The third character of the hotkey then might be a completely different character then intended.
  • Shift sends upper case characters. In case of special characters this might be a completely different character: Shift+. get's sent as Shift+: (German keyboard).
    As described in the help file "It is recommended to use lower-case keys/characters (e.g. "b" and not "B") when setting hotkeys to avoid errors as with some keyboard layouts upper and lower case keys may be mapped differently."

So I suggest you avoid Shift and Shift+Alt in your Hotkey settings.

Edit: Windows Shortcuts

Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

1. I'm using 3.3.14.2 on Windows 7 HP.

2. I must confess I don't quite know how to use @error.  Is there a page or something that explains it?  I sometimes use it but I can't rely on it because I'm not sure I use it properly.

3. Shift+Alt etc. changes the keyboard language/layout and/or the screen rotation only if those shortcuts are enabled in Windows itself.  They are disabled here.

4. The comment about using "b" instead of "B" is already taken into account.  For example, I tell the user to press Shift + Ctrl + (, but in reality the hotkey is for ^+9, because on our keyboards the "(" is on the same key as the 9.  In the same way, if a shortcut that I use is ^b, then I tell the user that it's Ctrl + B because that's easier to read, even though it is actually Ctrl + b.

Edited by leuce

1. Me too
  2. It depends on the function you call. Some set the return value, some set the @error macro. The help file exactly explains what to expect from a function.
  3. The function of the keys might be disabled. But are you sure that the keys aren't still consumed by Windows so that they don't get sent to your script?
  4. You can still confuse your script: Setting "!^." does not work as there is no way to press "." after "shift" has been pressed as then you get ":".

POC:

HotKeySet("{Esc}", "_exit") ; End Skript
HotKeySet("+.", "_Test_Dot") ; Shift+.
HotKeySet("+:", "_Test_Colon") ; Shift+:

While 1
    Sleep(100)
WEnd

Func _Test_Dot()
    ConsoleWrite("Function _Test_Dot called!" & @CRLF)
EndFunc   ;==>_test_Dot

Func _Test_Colon()
    ConsoleWrite("Function _Test_Colon called!" & @CRLF)
EndFunc   ;==>_test_Colon

Func _exit()
    Exit
EndFunc   ;==>_exit

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

3. The EXE version's shortcut keys work just fine.  And I've tested the shortcuts separately in a test script -- none of them are used by Windows when a script is running.

4. I assume "." and ":" are on the same key on your keyboard (German keyboard, right?).  Yes, you're right, but then, I never use just Shift + something as a shortcut :-)  That's looking for trouble.

While it is a slightly different approach than how you did it, this way works and doesn't require any conversion of hex.

#Include <String.au3>

MsgBox (0, "Seven keyboard shortcuts for Idiom translators, version 4", "Shift+Ctrl+Space = non-breaking space (e.g. between digits and SI symbols, ""5 cm"")" & @CRLF & "Alt+Ctrl+fullstop = ellips (...)" & @CRLF & "Ctrl+NumMinus = en-dash" & @CRLF & "and also Ctrl+hyphen = en-dash" & @CRLF & @CRLF & "Ctrl+( = single opening quote" & @CRLF & "Ctrl+) = single closing quote (or curly apostrophe)" & @CRLF & "Ctrl+Shift+( = double opening quote" & @CRLF & "Ctrl+Shift+) = double closing quote" & @CRLF & @CRLF & "Some shortcuts may not work in a browser text field." & @CRLF & @CRLF & "To exit the program or to disable the shortcuts, click the round blue icon in the system tray.", 0)

HotKeySet("+^{SPACE}", "nonbreakspace")
HotKeySet("^{NUMPADSUB}", "endash")
HotKeySet("^-", "hyphdash")
HotKeySet("!^.", "ellips")

HotKeySet("^9", "singleopen")
HotKeySet("^0", "singleclose")
HotKeySet("^+9", "doubleopen")
HotKeySet("^+0", "doubleclose")

While 1
    Sleep(100)
WEnd

Func nonbreakspace()
    Send (" ",1)
EndFunc

Func endash()
    Send ("–",1)
EndFunc

Func hyphdash()
    Send ("-",1)
EndFunc

Func ellips()
    Send ("…",1)
EndFunc

Func singleopen()
    Send ("‘",1)
EndFunc

Func singleclose()
    Send ("’",1)
EndFunc

Func doubleopen()
    Send ("“",1)
EndFunc

Func doubleclose()
    Send ("”",1)
EndFunc

I just put each alt code into the send and sent it raw. From my testing it seems to work just as well.

UHJvZmVzc2lvbmFsIENvbXB1dGVyZXI=