Executing a program install from a network drive.

rono1

When trying to run an autoIT script located on a novell drive through a login script I get an error about UNC path not working. Can somebody post an example of a script executing a software install from a network drive that will work on (W2k, XP, and WINNT4)?

When trying to run an autoIT script located on a novell drive through a login script I get an error about UNC path not working. Can somebody post an example of a script executing a software install from a network drive that will work on (W2k, XP, and WINNT4)?

Is the script compiled already?

Yes, the script is compiled and it automatically launches the software install from the same directory on the network, well it's supposed to.

good, and is the script executing? I mean is the error being generated by the script? Also if you have spaces in your path to the script make sure you're using single quotes around your double quotes

Yes, the error generated is coming from AutoIt. An example would be this

RunWait("\\novellserver\apps\ND6\ND65\ND65MSIClient\setup.exe")

maybe try using @ScriptDir if they're in the same directory. You also may want to verify that the username executing the script has permissions to execute the other executable, or use RunAsSet()

maybe try using @ScriptDir if they're in the same directory. You also may want to verify that the username executing the script has permissions to execute the other executable, or use RunAsSet()

I tried using @ScriptDir but the same error: "Unable to execute specified file unable to find path". Not sure what else to try now but maybe it is just not possible.

I tried using @ScriptDir but the same error: "Unable to execute specified file unable to find path". Not sure what else to try now but maybe it is just not possible.

it is possible, there is just something we're not seeing. make sure that the active user running the script has the permissions necessary to see/run the file you're trying to execute with the script. If they don't, either change the permissions, or use RunAsSet() function in your code to execute the file with the correct permissions. I've had issues with RunAsSet before, a few things to watch for: Make sure that the login you're using in RunAsSet() has permission to install on the computer, AND to execute the file. sometimes the security is setup so that a local admin is required to install software, and the local admin login doesn't have necessary permissions on the network to access the installer...

\\novellserver\apps\ND6\ND65\ND65MSIClient\setup.exe

Have you tried running the above complete command from a command prompt while actually logged into the "novellserver". Can you run it from your machine from a command prompt?
...by the way, it's pronounced: "JIF"... Bob Berry --- inventor of the GIF format

Yes, the error generated is coming from AutoIt. An example would be this

RunWait("\\novellserver\apps\ND6\ND65\ND65MSIClient\setup.exe")

Are you using RunAsSet in the script as well?

Yes yes yes, there it was. Youth must go, ah yes. But youth is only being in a way like it might be an animal. No, it is not just being an animal so much as being like one of these malenky toys you viddy being sold in the streets, like little chellovecks made out of tin and with a spring inside and then a winding handle on the outside and you wind it up grrr grrr grrr and off it itties, like walking, O my brothers. But it itties in a straight line and bangs straight into things bang bang and it cannot help what it is doing. Being young is like being like one of these malenky machines.