GUICtrlCreateLabel alignment

erebus

Hello all,

I am trying to find a workaround on a label's alignment but with no luck.

Let's say we have a single line GUICtrlCreateLabel($status) and we want to locate it in the middle of our GUI's width (or even height). If we know the $status length we can do this by hand; however if we don't use a fixed width font when we update $status there is no way to know the exact label's width (in pixels and NOT in characters) so as to locate it appropriately in the GUI.

Any suggestions?

Hello all,

I am trying to find a workaround on a label's alignment but with no luck.

Let's say we have a single line GUICtrlCreateLabel($status) and we want to locate it in the middle of our GUI's width (or even height). If we know the $status length we can do this by hand; however if we don't use a fixed width font when we update $status there is no way to know the exact label's width (in pixels and NOT in characters) so as to locate it appropriately in the GUI.

Any suggestions?

I do not know if this is what you require.

#include <GUIConstants.au3>
;Generated with Form Designer preview
$Text = InputBox("Input", "What do you wish to type")
$Form1 = GUICreate("AForm1", 386, 142, 192, 113)
$Label1 = GUICtrlCreateLabel( $Text, 0, 0, 382, 137, BitOR($SS_CENTER,$SS_CENTERIMAGE))
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
While 1
    $msg = GuiGetMsg()
    Select
    Case $msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
        ExitLoop
    Case Else
    ;;;;;;;
    EndSelect
WEnd
Exit

Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time ......T.S. Elliot
Suspense is worse than disappointment................Robert Burns
God help the man who won't help himself, because no-one else will...........My Grandmother

Exactly, thank you very much.

However (and while I am not familiar with the use of BitOR) can you please give me another example?

Let's say that I have a GUI of 500 pixels width and 400 height and I want to put my label at 100 pixels height and center it between 200 and 300 pixels width only.

Since I don't exactly understand the use of BitOR I have no idea of how to alter that line of your code. :/

Thank you very much.

Exactly, thank you very much.

However (and while I am not familiar with the use of BitOR) can you please give me another example?

Let's say that I have a GUI of 500 pixels width and 400 height and I want to put my label at 100 pixels height and center it between 200 and 300 pixels width only.

Since I don't exactly understand the use of BitOR I have no idea of how to alter that line of your code. :/

Thank you very much.

To be honest with you I do not understand BitOR either I just played around with KODA. It is a brilliant tool that you can download http://www.autoitscript.com/fileman/users/lookfar/index.html

Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time ......T.S. Elliot
Suspense is worse than disappointment................Robert Burns
God help the man who won't help himself, because no-one else will...........My Grandmother

To be honest with you I do not understand BitOR either I just played around with KODA. It is a brilliant tool that you can download http://www.autoitscript.com/fileman/users/lookfar/index.html

BitOr is a bitwise OR comparison....

example:

A = 1000001

B = 1000010

For each bit, if there is a 1 in that position on the A or in the same position for a B, or both, a 1 is returned, otherwise a zero... so a bitwise or of those two would yield:

1000011 or C

You gave the perfect example, thank you very much, I really understood how it works now.

However I haven't yet understood where $SS_CENTER and $SS_CENTERIMAGE depend on (in GUIConstants.au3) and how exactly to use them.

Can anybody give us a good example/explanation of how they technically work?

You gave the perfect example, thank you very much, I really understood how it works now.

However I haven't yet understood where $SS_CENTER and $SS_CENTERIMAGE depend on (in GUIConstants.au3) and how exactly to use them.

Can anybody give us a good example/explanation of how they technically work?

how they work, is the GUIConstants assigns names to the binary values. when you do a bitor() on those constants, you're actually doing a bitwise or comparison on the values they represent, and that is passed to the operating system... although i think bitand() would be the way to combine the styles... ignore that last line, bitand would obviously not combine the values correctly, it was late and i was tired... the reason it wouldn't is because a bitand would only put 1's in the positions that both have a 1... or to use the same example as earlier...

A = 1000001

B = 1000010

a BitAnd() would return 1000000 or @ which would not be a combination of the two by any means...

Edited by cameronsdad