GetParent versus GetDesktop and GetAncestor(parent)

Anyone know why the WinAPI call GetParent returns a different handle than the GetDesktop and GetAncestor(parent) calls?

;NirLauncher  -  NirSoft Utilities
    $hWnd     = 0x000000000163279A
;Parent Handles
    _WinAPI_GetDesktopWindow()                  = 0x00010010    ; = GetAncestor(Parent)
    _WinAPI_GetParent($hWnd)                    = 0x00000000    ; NOT = GetDesktop or GetAncestor
    _WinAPI_GetAncestor($hWnd, $GA_PARENT)      = 0x00010010    ; = GetDesktop
    _WinAPI_GetAncestor($hWnd, $GA_ROOT)        = 0x0163279A    ; = app window handle
    _WinAPI_GetAncestor($hWnd, $GA_ROOTOWNER)   = 0x0163279A    ; = app window handle

Is the window an unowned top-level window? If so, GetParent won't return a value, it only returns the owner window. GetAncestor will return the parent window, but not the owner, when using the $GA_PARENT parameter.

(GetParent)

Return value

Type:

Type: HWND

If the window is a child window, the return value is a handle to the parent window. If the window is a top-level window with the WS_POPUP style, the return value is a handle to the owner window.

If the function fails, the return value is NULL. To get extended error information, call GetLastError.

This function typically fails for one of the following reasons:

• The window is a top-level window that is unowned or does not have the WS_POPUP style.
  • The owner window has WS_POPUP style.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator