SciTE shows file as starting with EF BF BF

leuce

Hello everyone

I have a text file (non-AutoIt script) that behaves strangely in various text editors, so I also checked it in SciTE.  The file is supposed to be UTF-16 LE, and I attach it here.  SciTE shows something odd.

In SciTE there appears three "characters" (that can't be deleted individually) labelled "xEF xBF xBF".  These characters do not show up in my hex editor at all.

Can anyone explain the presence of the EF BF BF?  And (optionally, since it is not directly AutoIt related) do you know what's wrong with the file?

Thanks!
Samuel

By the way: My one hex editor, Frhed, shows that it starts with "FF FE", which is UTF-16 LE.  One of my other text editors, Akelpad, thinks it's UTF8 without BOM.  Notepad++ says it's UCS-2 LE (but that's essentially UTF-16 LE for practical purposes).  When I open the file in SciTE, and query the encoding used by File > Encoding, it shows the encoding as UTF-16 LE.

WfGlossary.zip

WfGlosasry txt in SciTE editor.png

• Developers

I am getting something else when opening the file but it is indeed an file with an UTF-16 LE  BOM and it doesn't look like it is handled properly with the current implementation of the File Encoding handling. Which version are you running that shows these hex codes?

The latest version does recognize it as an  UTF-16 LE  but still shows an initial wrong character which would indicate it doesn't start showing the real character from the correct startingpoint, skipping the BOM. Needs to be check further, so please create an Bug report in our Bug Tracker when you wish.

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Developers

Just tested today with the original SciTE version and that is showing the same issue, so it is better to report it to Neil to get the base fixed.

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)