#include <IE.au3> error?

Hi All

I am new to AutoIT, its community, and pretty much programming in general. 

After a bit of online research, I decided to focus on AutoIT as my first programming attempt as it seems quite powerful and amazing once you become advanced at it. I have read some introductory pdfs which where good, including from the guy I think who invented it. I also watched various sketchy youtube videos, checked out the forum etc. I have to admit it's a bit confusing starting off but I reckon if I just keep pushing forward with continual hard work I can only get better.  

My first AutoIT project has been to open Internet Explorer and automatically log into Twitter to save doing it manually. I plan to run this after windows start up via task scheduler. I am using the #include <IE.au3> UDF but for some reason about 20% of the time I receive the following orange error notifications at the bottom of the editor (pic attached). When it happens the IE browser just doesn't open but the program continues to run which mucks up the script. 

Does anyone know why this is happening and how it can be fixed? Also is there some other better, less error prone way, to open IE and automatically log in?

I have tried to use the Get Object NAME and ID commands to insert the username and password (i.e. the xxxxxxxxxx's) but when I right click to use "Inspect element" there is no name or id. It seems to be some sort of java script reference?

I am using Windows 7 with latest updates and Internet Explorer version 11.

As this is my first post I hope I am following protocols, and if not, please let me know and I will improve.

Thanks

IE Create doesnt work sometimes.PNG

Edited by TotalAuto

Hi and welcome to the forum.

As a first hint it would be good if you share your code (if to long that part which is failing but in a way that it is running stand alone). Therefor you find in the editor the code button "<>" where you can fill in your code (snippet). It will highlight syntax as known in SciTE for better reading and is fast to copy.

If you look to the help file for _IECreate() you find the part about errors:

@error: 1 ($_IEStatus_GeneralError) - General Error
3 ($_IEStatus_InvalidDataType) - Invalid Data Type
4 ($_IEStatus_InvalidObjectType) - Invalid Object Type
6 ($_IEStatus_LoadWaitTimeout) - Load Wait Timeout
8 ($_IEStatus_AccessIsDenied) - Access Is Denied
9 ($_IEStatus_ClientDisconnected) - Client Disconnected
@extended:  Set to true (1) or false (0) depending on the success of $iTryAttach

So add the following line after your _IECreate() code:

ConsoleWrite("error: " & @error & @TAB & "extended: " & @extended & @CRLF)

Nearly almost every function will set the @error macro with a number if an error occur. And sometimes the @extended macro too. These you can read out directly after the function to debug your code. Presenting us this error number or message as found in help file will lead to right direction better.

Regards, Conrad

Edited by Simpel
spelling
SciTE4AutoIt = 3.7.3.0   AutoIt = 3.3.14.2   AutoItX64 = 0   OS = Win_10   Build = 19044   OSArch = X64   Language = 0407/german
H:\...\AutoIt3\SciTE     H:\...\AutoIt3      H:\...\AutoIt3\Include     (H:\ = Network Drive)

88x31.png  Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind.

• 3 weeks later...

Hallo Conrad

Thank you for your kind welcome to this forum and your useful advice. I will make sure I post my script from now on. I will also try the error code your suggest to try and work out why my problem occurs.

Although it is early days, and I do not have much programming experience, I feel like I am making progress. Slow and steady wins the race.

Cheers

Daniel