Call GUI button from external AU3

DigDeep

Hi, I hope I would not sound confusing. I have a huge script which is divided into multiple au3 files. I have added all child Au3 files inside the include and calling them in the Parent GUI. It's all good except I ran into an issue now. Due to various functions running, all my child au3 have lables and buttons but I have removed the GUICreate from them.

1. When Button 1 is pressed in Parent GUI (Test1.au3), it calls the Test2.au3.

2. From the Test2.au3, if button 2 is pressed, it should Hide the Test2().

And here is the issue I am finding. Because I have removed the GUICreate from the child GUIs', though I am able to get the Lables and buttons displayed from TES2() but if I press the Button2, it does not do anything.

As an example,

; Test1.au3
#include <ButtonConstants.au3>
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <StaticConstants.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>
#Region ### START Koda GUI section ### Form=
$Form2 = GUICreate("Form2", 530, 580, 734, 184)
$Label1 = GUICtrlCreateLabel(@CRLF & @CRLF & @CRLF & "Lable 1", 80, 40, 353, 196, $SS_CENTER)
GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 14, 400, 0, "MS Sans Serif")
$Button1 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Go to Lable 2", 224, 192, 75, 25)

GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
#EndRegion ### END Koda GUI section ###

While 1
    $nMsg = GUIGetMsg()
    Switch $nMsg
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            Exit

Case $Button1 ; Preseeing this button will call Test2.au3
            Test2()

Case $Button2 ; Pressing this button will hide Test2.au3
            GUICtrlSetState($Label2, $GUI_Hide)
            GUICtrlSetState($Button2, $GUI_Hide)

EndSwitch
WEnd
; Test 2.au3 ; This file is saved as custom includes
Func Test2()
#include <ButtonConstants.au3>
#include <StaticConstants.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>

$Label2 = GUICtrlCreateLabel(@CRLF & @CRLF & @CRLF & "Label2", 80, 264, 356, 204, $SS_CENTER)
$Button2 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Go to Lable 1", 224, 432, 75, 25)
EndFunc

Test2()

I would highly recommend not doing exactly what you're doing, very very bad formatting of your code and anyone that sees it may get very confused (you might even confuse yourself in the future). A better idea be to create all the controls but hide the ones you don't want shown. But the way to do what you want is to create the $Button2 and $Label2 variables global first.

$Form2 = GUICreate("Form2", 530, 580, 734, 184)
$Label1 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Lable 1", 80, 40, 353, 50, $SS_CENTER)
$Button1 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Go to Lable 2", 224, 192, 75, 25)
Global $Button2 = 0, $Label2 = 0

Also, you can't click the buttons in your example because the label is on top of the button. So you can't click it

@InunoTaishou thanks for the inputs. Yeah, I understand and I realize with the button placement. My Parent application will be handling more than 30 applications and there are various reasons I do not want to write all those inside 1 AU3 file. So All applications have their own AU3 which I am making as custom includes and calling those includes in the Parent GUI.

I have tried with your suggestion side too but I think I am still missing something. I will try to get you a test example of what I am trying to do here.

• Moderators

DigDeep,

Adding the Application2 file as an include places that code in the Parent Application file at the point of the #include line. So all the code in that file is parsed before any of the code in the parent - hence you are calling the GUI2 function in the App2 file to create a button in a non-existent GUI.

I have modified the files so that they work as you wish - please read the comments I have added:

Parent Application.au3

Application2.au3

Note the requirement to put a placeholder value in the $Button2 variable - if you set it to 0 or leave it undeclared then the Case will file immediately you enter the idle loop as GUIGetMsg returns 0 as the default when no event has occurred.

Please ask if you have any further questions.

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

@Melba23, thanks and yes, it worked so far. but here is one issue.

I understand that we have to set a 'Placeholder value', else it will fire up the buttons when GUI launches.

1. Do we have to set all the buttons we will need in the AU3?

2. If I modify the code a little bit to add another button as $Button3, what happens is if I press Button 3 once, I cannot click on the button 2 any more. Or if I re-press the $FixedLable, I cannot click on any buttons.

Providing the updated file here...

Can you also suggest the best way to get these here? The reason I am getting multiple AU3 situated with the specific applications and which will be called within the Parent GUI, so that no matter how big my codes go, it will be easy for me to make changes / corrections within the specific application / AU3 itself. Instead of keeping all AU3 codes inside 1 Parent GUI. If this is not one of the best option, can you please help me in suggesting your recommendations as to set the lines written in the 2 files? That will be of great help from you. My Parent GUI will be holding around 18 different applications (18 different AU3 files) as per the current design.

Parent Application.au3

Applicaiton2.au3

Edited by DigDeep

• Moderators

DigDeep,

I firmly believe that splitting the code between several files as you are doing is far from "one of the best option". My suggestion would be to use #region/#endregion directives within your code so that you can expand/contract the code within the regions as required. I have a close to 10,000 line script which can be contracted to a single line or can equally be expanded into several major sections, each of which can be further expanded into sub-sections, then smaller sub-sub-sections, etc. This allows me to keep everything easily accessible within the same SciTE editing pane.

I will look at the new code when I have time - I am heavily into debugging another member's scrip tat the moment.

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

@Melba23, I worked on your suggestion and looks fine with me managing with multiple Regions too. Though I am still finding the same issue for 'if Application 2 is re-clicked when Button 2 and 3 are active both the buttons stop working'.

Let me give you the updated 1 au3 file in sometime.

Edited by DigDeep

• Moderators

DigDeep,

Now you have al the code in one place I can see the problem - you are continually recreating controls in APP2 which, of course, overlap and hence do not fire when actioned.

What exactly is the difference between $Button2 and $Button3? Why is $Button3 supposed to stay there when pressed - recreating that control each time in your major problem.

Perhaps if you were to explain in a bit more detail exactly what is supposed to happen within your script I could suggest a script architecture which would simplify your task.

M23

Spoiler

My application will be holding multiple Lables and Buttons which will Enable / Disable, Hide / Show at certain times.

Button 2 is something to be used as Go Back option to the Default view when the application launches.

Button 3 is something that will be used as to do some further activities.

To explain better,

GUI launches > APP2 2 clicked will launch Button 2 and Button 3 > If button 2 is pressed it will Hide everything Inside APP2() > If Button 3 is pressed, I will decide further what actions to take so only Button 2 will Hide.

• Moderators

DigDeep,

You said earlier that you will have 30+ such "applications" - will each and every one of them have a similar set of buttons? If so, I foresee huge problems in keeping them in order and preventing total confusion.

Might I suggest using my GUIExtender UDF? You can then have everything in a single GUI with a section for each "application" and just display the section required. This will allow you to create all the required controls at the beginning of the script (or at least those that need auctioning) which will greatly simplify the whole process. Take a look at the UDF (the link is in my sig) and I will try and write a short example which I hope will demonstrate how I think It might help you.

M23

Spoiler

I have checked all the examples in GUIExtender. However, that's not what I am looking for.

I am not sure as of now as I am still building the application but I believe the Button 2 and 3 will always be the 2 common buttons which will only show / hide when App1(), App2(), App3() will be clicked. Yes though there will be too many Lables that will show / hide.

Can you check if the single AU3 I gave last can be adjusted?

• Moderators

DigDeep,

Can you check if the single AU3 I gave last can be adjusted?

How can I adjust it when I have no idea of what is going on? You have given me no clear explanation of what is supposed to happen when all these various "applications" are started/hidden, so how can I code anything for you? What are the "applications"? Why do they need to appear and hide? Why do some buttons need to stay around even when the "application" is hidden? How are all these "permanent" buttons supposed to keep separate? Unless you can give me some clear instructions on exactly what is supposed to happen I am afraid I am going to have to bow out of the thread as I am just wasting my time at the moment. Sorry.

Here is the GUIExtender example I have drawn up for you:

#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>
#include <Array.au3>
#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>

#include <GUIExtender.au3>

; Create array to hold application names and sections indices
Global $aSections[][] = [["No APP", 0], ["APP 1", 0], ["APP 2", 0], ["APP 3", 0]]

; Currently displayed section - 9999 is a placeholder
Global $iCurrSection = 9999

; Create GUI
$hGUI = GUICreate("Test", 500, 550)

_GUIExtender_Init($hGUI)

GUICtrlCreateLabel("Select APP to display", 10, 10, 200, 20)
$cCombo = GUICtrlCreateCombo("", 10, 50, 200, 20)
GUICtrlSetData($cCombo, "No APP|APP 1|APP 2|APP 3", "No APP")

; Create fixed section from 0-100 pixels
_GUIExtender_Section_Create($hGUI, Default, 100)

; Now call your application functions to populate the rest of the GUI
_APP1()
_APP2()
_APP3()

; Close section creation
_GUIExtender_Section_Create($hGUI, -99)

; Close all sections
_GUIExtender_Section_Action($hGUI, 0, 0)

GUISetState()

While 1

$nMsg = GUIGetMsg()
    Switch $nMsg
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            Exit
        Case $cCombo
            ; Check combo selection
            $sSelApp = GUICtrlRead($cCombo)
            ; look in the data array for the appropriate section
            $iIndex = _ArraySearch($aSections, $sSelApp)
            If Not @error Then
                $iSelSection = $aSections[$iIndex][1]
                ; if no app selected
                If $iSelSection = 0 Then
                    ; Close all sections
                    _GUIExtender_Section_Action($hGUI, 0, 0)
                Else
                    ; Close currently open section
                    _GUIExtender_Section_Action($hGUI, $iCurrSection, 0)
                    ; Open selected section
                    _GUIExtender_Section_Action($hGUI, $iSelSection, 1)
                EndIf
                ; Store current selection
                $iCurrSection = $iSelSection
            EndIf

Case $cButton_APP1
            MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "APP 1", "Button Pressed")

Case $cButton_APP2
            MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "APP 2", "Button Pressed")

Case $cButton_APP3
            MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "APP 3", "Button Pressed")

EndSwitch

_GUIExtender_EventMonitor($hGUI, $nMsg)

WEnd

Func _APP1()

; Create an extendable section from 100-250 pixels
    $iSection = _GUIExtender_Section_Create($hGUI, Default, 150)
    ; Allow section to be actioned
    _GUIExtender_Section_Activate($hGUI, $iSection)
    ; Get top Y coord of the section
    $iBaseCoord = _GUIExtender_Section_BaseCoord($hGUI, $iSection)
    ; Create controls within the section
    GUICtrlCreateLabel("This is the APP1 label", 10, $iBaseCoord + 10, 480, 130)
    GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, 0xFFCCCC)
    GUICtrlSetState(-1, $GUI_DISABLE)
    Global $cButton_APP1 = GUICtrlCreateButton("APP 1", 50, $iBaseCoord + 50, 80, 30) ; Not good coding practice but legal syntax
    ; Store section index with section name in the combo
    $aSections[1][1] = $iSection

EndFunc

Func _APP2()

; Create an extendable section from 250-400 pixels
    GUICtrlCreateLabel("This is the APP2 label", 10, $iBaseCoord + 10, 480, 130)
    GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, 0xCCFFCC)
    Global $cButton_APP2 = GUICtrlCreateButton("APP 2", 50, $iBaseCoord + 50, 80, 30)
    $aSections[2][1] = $iSection

EndFunc

Func _APP3()

; Create an extendable section from 400-550 pixels
    GUICtrlCreateLabel("This is the APP3 label", 10, $iBaseCoord + 10, 480, 130)
    GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, 0xCCCCFF)
    Global $cButton_APP3 = GUICtrlCreateButton("APP 3", 50, $iBaseCoord + 50, 80, 30)
    $aSections[3][1] = $iSection

EndFunc

Any use at all?

M23

Spoiler

Attaching the updated AU3 of what I am looking for. It is working now except just that the Buttons 2 and 3 if placed after $Lable4 do not respond. Which as you have explained earlier might be going behind the Lable. But if placed Before that, works all good except just that the buttons only appear when mouse is placed on top of that location. If you could please help with the buttons placement.

But it is doing the actions what I needed for.

Case $Label2
            GUICtrlSetState($FixedLable, $GUI_HIDE) ; Hide $FixedLable
            APP2()

Case $Button2 ; place Button 2 Case here
            GUICtrlSetState($Label4, $GUI_HIDE)
            GUICtrlSetState($Button2, $GUI_HIDE)
            GUICtrlSetState($Button3, $GUI_HIDE)
            MsgBox(0, '', 'Taking back to Home screen')
            GUICtrlSetState($FixedLable, $GUI_SHOW)

Case $Button3
            GUICtrlSetState($Button2, $GUI_HIDE)
            MsgBox(0, '', 'Running further Actions...', 3)
            MsgBox(0, '', 'Actions completed.', 3)
            GUICtrlSetState($Label4, $GUI_HIDE)
            GUICtrlSetState($Button3, $GUI_HIDE)
            GUICtrlSetState($FixedLable, $GUI_SHOW)

EndSwitch
WEnd

Sorry, as this has taken your long time and thank you for staying so long.

Parent Application.au3

• Moderators

DigDeep,

Not the slightest explanation at all of what exactly is going on, so as I said earlier I am out of this thread - bye.

M23

Spoiler

@Melba23, there are few applications which are not for fun or public purpose. They might be for internal or corporate applications which is why not everyone would like to disclose each and every aspect of the application. I think I had mentioned many times what am I expecting from the sample GUI.

Clicking Lables will bring in more lables and Buttons and hide the previous ones. Next, new buttons will do the required actions they are meant for, Button 2 will get the Default view back in place and Button 3 will do whatever further actions.

That's the only thing I needed, which I have but getting into some issues.

No issues, I understand from your point of view too for staying long enough with this thread and thank you for the inputs and suggestions you have given. I think spending sometime myself will let me know what needs to be done. Just to let you know, within your GUIExtender, there is one of the example I liked and was something in my mind to get something similar. And I think I can use that in future stage on my other applications.

Have a good day. ;)