Microsoft Word: run macro if it exists? or skip error if it doesn't?

In another thread, with the expert help of user "water", I was able to put together a script that imports a WordPerfect document into Word and then exports it in Word format. Here is the briefest possible version:

$infile = @ScriptDir & "\test.wp"
$outfile = @ScriptDir & \test.docx"

$oWord = _Word_Create(False, True)
$oDoc = _Word_DocOpen($oWord, $infile, False)
$oDoc = $oWord.ActiveDocument
$oWord.Run("WPtoWordMacro")
_Word_DocSaveAs($oDoc, $outfile)
_Word_DocClose($oDoc)
_Word_Quit($oWord)

If the Word macro "WPtoWordMacro" does NOT exist, then the script crashes at the point where the macro is supposed to run.

In a VBS script I can avoid the crash by adding "On Error Resume Next" before that line, and "On Error GoTo 0" after it. I've searched the forum, and I see that similar problems have been discussed often, but I can't find a solution. Is there a solution?

I thought it might be possible to test whether the macro exists, but that seems even more complicated.

That's a COM error handler.
All _Word* functions internally call such a handler. When you use the Word object model on your own you need to define such a handler.
I suggest to set the handler at the top of your script. The handler just needs to set @error to the raised error number and then return.
Then you simply can check for an error by adding

If @error Then ...

after you have processed a Word object.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Thank you again - I'm not sure whether I'm making things more complicated than they need to be, but here goes: following your advice in another thread, I added this function:

Func MyErrFunc($oMyError)
    Local $HexNumber
    Local $strMsg
    $HexNumber = Hex($oMyError.Number, 8)
    $strMsg = "Error Number: " & $HexNumber & @CRLF
    $strMsg &= "WinDescription: " & $oMyError.WinDescription & @CRLF
    $strMsg &= "Script Line: " & $oMyError.ScriptLine & @CRLF
    If Not @Compiled Then
        MsgBox(0, "Error", $strMsg)
    EndIf
    SetError(1)
EndFunc   ;==>MyErrFunc

and this line near the top of the script:

Global $oMyError = ObjEvent("AutoIt.Error", "MyErrFunc")

And this seems to do a nice job of trapping the error. If I'm doing something foolish, I hope you'll tell me! Thank you again and again for this.

PS One further question: there seems to be a long delay before Word figures out that the macro I call for isn't present, and that an error condition occurs. Is there a way to speed this up, or should I simply live with it?

I would remove line

SetError(1)

because @error would always be set to 1 after an error. When the line has been removed @error is set by AutoIt to the COM error returned by Word.
Query @error by simply

If @error Then ...

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Thank you again. I know this is an absurdly ignorant question, but when you say Query @error with "If @ error Then..." am I right to think that the lines that should follow "Then" would be a MsgBox, or a ConsoleWrite, or some other way of communicating what the error is?

I think that's my last question on this subject - you've been more than generous already.

That's correct. Most of the time you exit your program when an error occurres. Most of th time the result of a function in error is undefined.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

2 hours ago, emendelson said:

PS One further question: there seems to be a long delay before Word figures out that the macro I call for isn't present, and that an error condition occurs. Is there a way to speed this up, or should I simply live with it?

The error handling should be quite fast. Most of the time is used to start up Word and read/open the document.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

You could have a look at my OutlookEX UDF. There you'll find function _OL_ErrorNotify. This allows to create a COM error handler and send the output to a log file, MsgBox, Console or just ignore it.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

I'll definitely look at your OutlookEX UDF. Before I saw your message, I threw together this error handler for my script.

I inserted $errLoc = "101" (etc.) before each line of code that runs Word, except that I inserted $errLoc = "Macro" before the line where I want to continue after the error. The StringLen line in the error handler limits the log file and the attempt to quit Word to $errLoc variables with three characters only (so "101" but not "Macro"):

Func MyErrFunc($oMyError)
    Local $HexNumber
    Local $oMyRet[1]
    Local $strMsg
    $HexNumber = Hex($oMyError.number, 8)
    $oMyRet[0] = $HexNumber
    $oMyRet[1] = StringStripWS($oMyError.description, 3)
    $strMsg = "### Com Error:  Number: " & $HexNumber & "  ScriptLine: " & $oMyError.scriptline & "  Description:" & $oMyRet[1] & @CRLF
    ConsoleWrite($strMsg)
    ; If Not @Compiled Then
    If $VBSerror = 1 Then
        MsgBox(0, "Error", $strMsg)
    EndIf
    If StringLen($errLoc) = 3 Then
        $x = FileOpen(@ScriptDir & "\" & @ScriptName & ".log", 1)
        FileWriteLine($x, "Location: " & $errLoc & " " & $strMsg)
        FileClose($x)
        _Word_Quit($oWord)
    EndIf
    Return
EndFunc   ;==>MyErrFunc

At the top of the script I insert:

Global $oMyError = ObjEvent("AutoIt.Error", "MyErrFunc")
Global $errLoc, $oWord
FileDelete(@ScriptDir & "\" & @ScriptName & ".log")

Instead of that second "Global" line, I thought I could simply use: Func MyErrFunc($oMyError, $errLoc, $oWord) at the start of the function, but it seemed to stop things from working, presumably because I don't understand how functions work.

I know this is held together with paperclips and rubber bands, but it seems to work. Any improvements would of course be very welcome.

Edited by emendelson