OutlookEX UDF - Help & Support (IV)

water

I have found the following VBS script on this site: https://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/import-eml-files.htm
It asks for a directory containing the EML files.
Then it asks for an Outlook folder where to store the converted EML files.
Every EML file from the specified directory will be converted and stored in the Outlook folder.

Could you please give it a try? If it works I will be happy to translate it to AutoIt and add it as an example script to the UDF.

'===================================================================
'Description: VBS script to import eml-files.
'
'Comment: Before executing the vbs-file, make sure that Outlook is
'         configured to open eml-files.
'         Depending on the performance of your computer, you may
'         need to increase the Wscript.Sleep value to give Outlook
'         more time to open the eml-file.
'
' author : Robert Sparnaaij
' version: 1.0
' website: http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/import-eml-files.htm
'===================================================================

Dim objShell : Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
Dim objFolder : Set objFolder = objShell.BrowseForFolder(0, "Select the folder containing eml-files", 0)

Dim Item
If (NOT objFolder is Nothing) Then
  Set WShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
  Set objOutlook = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
  Set Folder = objOutlook.Session.PickFolder
  If NOT Folder Is Nothing Then
    For Each Item in objFolder.Items
      If Right(Item.Name, 4) = ".eml" AND Item.IsFolder = False Then
	objShell.ShellExecute Item.Path, "", "", "open", 1
	WScript.Sleep 1000
	Set MyInspector = objOutlook.ActiveInspector
	Set MyItem = objOutlook.ActiveInspector.CurrentItem
	MyItem.Move Folder
      End If
    Next
  End If
End If

MsgBox "Import completed.", 64, "Import EML"

Set objFolder = Nothing
Set objShell = Nothing

Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Will do my very best and post my results here :)

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Can you please post a simple EML-file here or send me a PM via this site? I'm unable to create an EML-file using Outlook 2016 :(

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Here is a first example tested with the EML-files you provided:

<snip> The code has been moved to the OutlookEX example scripts thread (link can be found in my signature.

Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Will add a few features:

• Show some kind of progressbar
  • Logging of information and error messages to a file
  • Write statistical data to the log file and/or to a MsgBox
  • Flag to ignore errors when importing an EML-file and continue with the next EML-file
  • Display log file after processing

Something else?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

I have implemented everything but the progressbar (will be in the next release).
Please modify the settings at the top of the script to your needs. With the current settings the script processes all EML-files without user intervention and displays the log when finished.

Have fun and please report problems you encounter :)

<snip> The code has been moved to the OutlookEX example scripts thread (link can be found in my signature.

Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

I have added a new example script to the OutlookEX example scripts thread: _OL_Example_Import_EML.au3https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/126358-outlookex-udf-example-scripts/

It allows to import EML files to an Outlook folder.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• 4 weeks later...

(This might be my favorite thread, I spend nearly all my time here :D)

Is there for removing spaces from a path in _OL_ItemAttachmentSave? I edited the RegEx and it worked for me [one time]:

; Replace invalid characters from filename with underscore
$sFName = StringRegExpReplace($sFName, '[\/:*?"<>|]', '_')

; Previously
$sFName = StringRegExpReplace($sFName, '[ \/:*?"<>|]', '_')

All my code provided is Public Domain... but it may not work. ;) Use it, change it, break it, whatever you want.

Spoiler

My Humble Contributions:
Personal Function Documentation - A personal HelpFile for your functions
Acro.au3 UDF - Automating Acrobat Pro
ToDo Finder - Find #ToDo: lines in your scripts
UI-SimpleWrappers UDF - Use UI Automation more Simply-er
KeePass UDF - Automate KeePass, a password manager
InputBoxes - Simple Input boxes for various variable types

Can't recall why the space is replaced with "_".
I'm sure I grabbed the RegExp from another thread.

I think I will add a flag so you can choose how to handle spaces.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• 1 month later...

Hey @water :)

I need some ideas.

I can create a Meeting using the UDF. But, I do have a problem: How to set Start time AFTER pre-existing meetings?

Simple example: Meeting1 in calendar 8am-9am. I click "create meeting" button and the start time for Meeting2 must be after 9am.

Ideas on quickly and easily getting the "lowest available start time" with at least 60 minutes available?

I can probably select that out of a SQL table, but this is not SQL 😕

Where do I start? If you have a moment please. 

Skysnake

Why is the snake in the sky?

You could use function _OL_RecipientFreeBusyGet to get the free/busy time information for a user (even for yourself).

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• 1 month later...

Dear @water

How do I send an email to myself?

I feel very silly. It seems so painfully obvious, but I cannot find the answer.

The same account used by the wrappers to send FROM should be available to be used as TO address, but I am struggling... 

Sorry

Skysnake

I’m currently on vacation and will reply this weekend. 
But if I remember correctly the example script for _OL_ItemCreate or one of the wrapper functions has code to retrieve the current user. 

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

$sCurrentUser = $oOL.GetNameSpace("MAPI").CurrentUser.Name ; Returns the display name of the currently logged-on user 
$oCurrentUser = $oOL.GetNameSpace("MAPI").CurrentUser ; Returns the currently logged-on user as a Recipient object

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Thank you

I managed to get that. Consider a "test mail" scenario, where if To is set to Default, it sends ito the sender (sender = To). A simple selftest.

I used the code you posted :)

What I got was a mail item created in Draft. I think that that code returns the current user as a string, while Outlook object expects an Array... I haven't gotten round to changing the $sCurrentUser into an array and then submitting to the Wrapper

$aCurrentUser = StringSplit($sCurrentUser &";",";") ; something like this?

Edited by Skysnake

Skysnake

Outlook just wants the recipients in the To field to be semicolon delimited, no arrays needed. Did you check the error code of _OL_Wrapper_SendMail?

All my code provided is Public Domain... but it may not work. ;) Use it, change it, break it, whatever you want.

Spoiler

My Humble Contributions:
Personal Function Documentation - A personal HelpFile for your functions
Acro.au3 UDF - Automating Acrobat Pro
ToDo Finder - Find #ToDo: lines in your scripts
UI-SimpleWrappers UDF - Use UI Automation more Simply-er
KeePass UDF - Automate KeePass, a password manager
InputBoxes - Simple Input boxes for various variable types

Will get back to the To = Sender shortly.

Now I have a different problem.

I have a script. Create an OL_Object globally once, reuse is many times. When I CLOSE the object, it closes my Outlook (not what I want). When I exit I set the Object to NULL which alos seems to work.

BUT when the script expires (think laptop hibernate) it seems as if the object goes into limbo. On resume, AutoIt thinks the object is still valid, and writes to it, but it does not appear in Outlook.

Simple solution seems to be to create an Object as needed but I am rather looking for an explanation? Hopefully that will confirm my fix is the right one?

Skysnake

41 minutes ago, Skysnake said:

I have a script. Create an OL_Object globally once, reuse is many times. When I CLOSE the object, it closes my Outlook (not what I want).

I think the explanation for this behavior can be found here.

43 minutes ago, Skysnake said:

BUT when the script expires (think laptop hibernate)

You mean the script exits when the your laptop hibernates?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki