SplashTextOn Override Cursor

xrxca

So is there any way to set the cursor for a Splash Screen created using SplashTextOn?

I've got a fairly complicated program that has evolved over the years, it has a main GUI and in a few places calls VERY long processes so I use GUISetCursor to change the windows cursor to waiting, the problem is I use splashtexton to display progress messages, but I can't seem to change the cursor for the splash window, so if the mouse is moved into the splash window it turns back to the default pointer, not a show stopper, but seems wrong.

I've tried GUISetCursor using the handle returned by SplashTextOn, and GUICtrlSetCursor on the handle returned by ControlGetHandle($Splash, "", "Static1") neither works. (Didn't really expect them too, but it was worth a try)

The next step is either create a custom GUI to duplicate what splashtexton does, or go down the WINAPI Cursor rabbithole.

I was hoping there was an easier way, am I missing something?

(Too bad there wasn't an additional option to SplashTextOn to specify the Cursor, I mean a splash screen implies the program is busy, shouldn't the cursor agree)

By far, the worst four letter word (swear word) out there has to be USER

On 11/8/2017 at 8:09 PM, argumentum said:

so, make your own GUI

I'm doing so, I was trying to avoid it, (why re-event the wheel)  After spending some time refreshing my memory with the WinAPI cursor documentation and doing some experimentation, I decided a new GUI was the far easier path.

My thoughts where: generally when a splash screen is up, the program is busy, and therefore it would make sense to have the ability to change the cursor to indicate busy, and if someone had a way to do so with the existing SplashOn method that I hadn't tried or thought of I'd like to have heard about it.

By far, the worst four letter word (swear word) out there has to be USER

1 hour ago, xrxca said:

... I was trying to avoid it, (why re-event the wheel)  After spending some time ....

Time, a,a,a, is on your side, yes it is ..... a rolling stones song ... anywayz, all this time ..., , do re-invent the wheel. Make it a function, moreover, make it a UDF we all can use.
So don't be shy ( or lazy ), and code the SplashScreen of legends, where any of us can say, now that is a splash screen. :D 

Follow the link to my code contribution ( and other things too ).
FAQ - Please Read Before Posting.
autoit_scripter_blue_userbar.png

You could use the UDF i have linked in my signature (Click reveal hidden contents) for the customized gui with progressbar I have created.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator