Create a File Shortcut with advance option "Run ad administrator" checked

rudi

Hello.

Windows shortcuts have the option to check "Run as administrator" in the "advanced settings" on the tab "Shortcut"

1. Is it possible to use the function FileCreateShortcut() to define this? Or to use this function and modify this option afterwards?
  2. Is it possible to "read" this option's current state for a given LNK file? (FileGetShortcut() doesn't seem to offer that?)

Regards, Rudi.

Earth is flat, pigs can fly, and Nuclear Power is SAFE!

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

Wasn't aware that this place in the registry does exist.

Regards, Rudi.

Hello.

at that Registry Key it looks like, that values with the name "EXE-full-file-path-name" are created at the moment, that EXE was started for a first time.

Example:

RegistryValue (REG_SZ)
"H:\DATEN\PUBLIC\Kataloge\Festo\DKI3\xDKIBrowser.EXE" = "DisableNXShowUI"

Where the "Checkbox" status is stored, I couldn't figure out so far.

Modifyiong the CheckBox status doesn't seem to alter the according registry value, even not if the EXE is started again.

Any suggestions?

Regards, Rudi.

Edited by rudi
typo

• Moderators

@Juvigy There could be a number of reasons. I have done it often when pushing out a shortcut to 1000 desktops through a deployment suite like SCCM. 

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

well, it's been done... apparently you can do it with a registry entry. http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=278764

OK, I am not sure if there is something is wrong with this method, but I came across this and have not seen a reference to it anywhere on NSIS forum. I think it is way easier than anything else proposed here and seems to work great.

Basically the "Run As Administrator" is simply a registry value stored in "Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\layers" , so you can use:

code:

WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\layers" \
"$MY_SHORCUT_OR_EXE" "RUNASADMIN"

Obviously replace $MY_SHORCUT_OR_EXE with your executable or shortcut. You can replace HKLM with HKCU for user specific setting instead of all users.

I figured I'd share.

-HH

My resources are limited. You must ask the right questions

Thanks for your replies.

I'm still not really seeing where the *CHECKBOX STATUS* is instantly stored, without running the associated EXE at least once.

Meanwhile the vendor of this catalog software has provided a bug fix, so that the need to be run with "as Administrator" is eliminated. It's a new version of a file named xDKIFrameworkComponents.bpl

Regards, Rudi.

Thanks for your replies.

I'm still not really seeing where the *CHECKBOX STATUS* is instantly stored, without running the associated EXE at least once.

Meanwhile the vendor of this catalog software has provided a bug fix, so that the need to be run with "as Administrator" is eliminated. It's a new version of a file named xDKIFrameworkComponents.bpl

Regards, Rudi.

14 hours ago, rudi said:

RegWrite("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers", @ScriptFullPath, "REG_SZ", "RUNASADMIN")

Hello You can do this:

Local $sShortcut = "C:\Users\User\Desktop\someshortcut.lnk"

_SetShortcutRunAsAdmin($sShortcut);Enable-Set advanced settings  Run as administrator true
;~ _SetShortcutRunAsAdmin($sShortcut,False);Disable-Set advanced settings  Run as administrator false

Func _SetShortcutRunAsAdmin($sShortcutFullPath, $bRunAsAdmin = True)
    Local $hFile = FileOpen($sShortcutFullPath, 17)
    FileSetPos($hFile, 21, 0)
    FileWrite($hFile, $bRunAsAdmin ? 0x20 : 0x00)
    FileClose($hFile)
EndFunc   ;==>_SetShortcutRunAsAdmin

Saludos

• 2 weeks later...

I found that trick time ago in stack overflow written in another lenguage. I don't remeber the thread. 

Saludos